Decisions... Going Paperless

LthrWrk

Hi ya...

I was carrying lots of printouts.. one for each cache some 40-50 at a time. Mapsend Map Printouts; overall and some detailed closeups.

Of late though going caching with a partner who has a PDA has been rather kewl. So I like the idea of going paperless.

A helluva lot of PDAs to choose from. What are the suggested minimum features to look for? Memory Size, connectivity, files to support geocaching.

I do have a Magellan Meridian Gold, PC not mac.

Any PDA at all that they sell today will let you go paperless.

The first decision is Pocket PC or Palm. After that it's going to depend on if you want to use it in daily life or just geocaching.

I would go with Pocket PC. I'm a former Palm user. :P

I have a HP iPaq Pocket PC and it's wonderful! :P

Since your GPS has SD card support, I'd look for a PDA that does also. Then the internal memory of the PDA is a non-issue, just store however many PQ's you wish on the SD card.

If you go the PocketPC route, GPXSonar can make a magellan-format file from the .gpx file, then you have the waypoints ready to load into the GPS. It's one of the things I like about GPXSonar.

Since your GPS has SD card support, I'd look for a PDA that does also. Then the internal memory of the PDA is a non-issue, just store however many PQ's you wish on the SD card.

If you go the PocketPC route, GPXSonar can make a magellan-format file from the .gpx file, then you have the waypoints ready to load into the GPS. It's one of the things I like about GPXSonar.

Mine does, it supports SD cards, the same ones used in my Magellan Meridian GPS. I'm sorry, but I'm stuck to Magellan for GPS units and Pocket PC for my PDA's.

The "plan' is to use it for geocaching.

When I search PDA some of the least expensive have been Sharp OZ590's for under $20. Uses a serial port. Using criteria that minimum would be 8mb.

added.. I suppose that sony is not actually a pda but an organizer. Which operating system is best to get? Palm OS or Windows based?

Edited by LthrWrk

i use a palm lllxe with 8 Mb of memory. it is readily compatible with cachemate and gsak. if you do get a pda and go paperless a good pda cover like the gladiatorII is more than adequate to protect your pda. the gladiatorII cost me 29.95, and after being up in the hills of the jefferson memorial forrest on 12/4/04 i am sincerely glad i got that gladiator, also got a lighted stylus to keep from using the backlight so much. as it stand now i have 2413 gpx files downloaded to my palm. i have all necessary info available at any time. the palm was purchased from e-bay, the gladiator pda case was purcheased from office depot, as was the lighted stylus. i like paperless caching. having carried folders and papers and such was turning into a real big problem especially in high wind. it is no fun chasing the cache page papers up hill.

regards

archie

Sony sells PalmOS PDAs. The Sharp may be merely an organizer, I haven't looked at that model. Whether to go PalmOS or PPC is a matter of preference. Palms are easier to use, lighter, with a larger screen, and generally cheaper. If you want something running Windows, then PPC is the way to go. Keep in mind that Windows isn't the best operating system, it's just the best marketed operating system.

added.. I suppose that sony is not actually a pda but an organizer.  Which operating system is best to get?  Palm OS or Windows based?

Sony may make an organizer, but they make a splendid line of PDA's running Palm OS, as well.

I have one of the Clié line -- the PEG N760-C, which doubles as an MP3 player and will even play short video clips. It takes Sony Memory Sticks and has twice the screen resolution of most other PDA's, 320X320. Beautiful color screen. They don't make this model any more, but there were others in the line.

Unfortunately, like many things Sony, it costs stupid money. I got mine used on eBay and it's in good shape -- with the usual caveats about the risks of eBay. I love mine and use it for all sorts of stuff.

As for Palm vs PocketPC, you'll find evangelists for both.

added.. I suppose that sony is not actually a pda but an organizer.  Which operating system is best to get?  Palm OS or Windows based?

Sony may make an organizer, but they make a splendid line of PDA's running Palm OS, as well.

I have one of the Clié line -- the PEG N760-C, which doubles as an MP3 player and will even play short video clips. It takes Sony Memory Sticks and has twice the screen resolution of most other PDA's, 320X320. Beautiful color screen. They don't make this model any more, but there were others in the line.

Unfortunately, like many things Sony, it costs stupid money. I got mine used on eBay and it's in good shape -- with the usual caveats about the risks of eBay. I love mine and use it for all sorts of stuff.

As for Palm vs PocketPC, you'll find evangelists for both.

Once again (Ya' know, we gotta stop this; people will talk!) I find myself agreeing with the Weasel! I've been a Sony Clie fan for a long time now (on my fourth one!) and while they do cost a bit more, they are, IMHO worth it. That said, almost any PDA will work. I am a strong proponent of Cachemate and Palm OS. There are other systems out there, but for ease of use, economy... hard to beat. I would consider eBay, or perhaps a local pawn shop if you want more of a bargain priced unit...

I purchased a Palm in the Garage Sale.

" For Sale - Palm Iii Xe Plus Extras "

I do plan on only using this for paperless caching.. but sure that other features will grab me also.

My Magellan Gold, accessories and mapping.. also came from the 'Garage Sale'. Sure everthing I have started with has been used but excellent condition.

Have been delighted with everything I have gotten so far. Now anxiously awaiting the Palm.

I am a thrift store junkie/addict/obsessed but not for electronics.

Merry Christmas

There have been many threads on this subject. Most folks like to buy at least one level above what their present needs are as once you get one you will find many other uses for the PDA rather than caching. I bought the Palm Tungsten E. I couple it with Cachemate and GSAK. Has all the memory that I presently need.

" For Sale - Palm Iii Xe Plus Extras "

The Palm IIIxe is an absolute tank. You can drop kick it, if you like. That was my first PDA, and I still haven't managed to kill it. It's a very good choice for the trail.

I upgraded from mine because I like to read on screen, and the resolution is just too clunky to read a whole novel comfortably. But it's an excellent cacher's choice.

You can probably pick up a cheap keyboard on eBay or the Garage Sale and write notes and logs on it, too. Then you can be King Geekburger :grin:

You can probably pick up a cheap keyboard on eBay or the Garage Sale and write notes and logs on it, too. Then you can be King Geekburger 

That pda in the Garage Sale includes a keyboard.. so will be king geek soon heheheh. Though my cache partner is saying she cant be alpha if it start upgrading.

Rather on a budget here. Biz really slow and now in a temporary cast on my right foot. sooooo... I stumble around poor heheheh

When my Sharp organizer broke I needed a replacement for business. You know: appointments, contacts phone numbers, To Do lists, etc. So I went with an Ipaq 2215 which coincidentally also allows me to autonaviagete for business and when going from cache to cache in color with voice and visual directions using Mapopolis, 24K topo maps using National Geographic Pocket Topo and paperless caching using gpxsonar.

Overkill? Probably. But it was easier to convince my wife I needed it for business which I do use it actually all the time as well as for caching. It also backs up my hand held GPS with its own CF slot GPS.

ALso I decide on a PPC rather than Palm since I'm familiar with Windows based systems.

Good luck.

Edited by Alan2

Any PDA with a serial connection (the 71 isthe only Zire that does) can be connected to a GPSr that supports a serial connection.

With the right software you can transfer waypoint info to the GPSr, or position info from the GPSr.

Cachemate is the standard app for Palm PDAs for waypoint and log management. Wel lworth the $8 it costs.

I really like my Palm Zire 71 it has a built in color camera and I can link it to my Garmin 60C, my wife and I both carry a Palm zire 71,

GeoSar

I too use the Zire 71 and have had GREAT success with it. It's a nice little unit. The built in digital camera is nice too. While it doesn't take contest-winning photos, it does very well for the price. I recommend it highly.