Watching Caches

hals99

I didn't see this in the FAQ.

There is a little note on the right side of most caches that says "X account(s) watching this cache".

Does this count include the cache owner who as a default watches their own cashe? In other words if 1 account is watching a cache, is that just the owner or someone else?

Ok, I'm a total Newbie to GPS let alone GeoCaching. I'm still just trying to figure out how to use my unit. So, I have LOTS of questions, but I'll just ask right off:

What does it mean to WATCH a Cache? Does it mean you're going there to check on the Cache & make sure it's still there? Or is is online? Or just what?

Signed,

FluteLlama :huh:

Watching a cache will make it so that every time someone logs the cache online, you'll receive a notification via e-mail.

Subj: [LOG] Watchlist: XnevetsX (Team MegaDutch) found Anniversary Cache or A river runs through it. (Traditional Cache)

Date:    11/17/2004 2:28:29 PM Eastern Standard Time

To:    <Markwell's e-mail account>

This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings.

XnevetsX (Team MegaDutch) found Anniversary Cache or A river runs through it. (Traditional Cache) at 11/16/2004

Log Date: 11/16/2004

Found after a few attempts to actually get cache!  Thanks!

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b1-ae2dcec0b5e2

Visit GCABA6

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...01-44fba617fb8e

Profile for XnevetsX (Team MegaDutch):

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=67...cb-fd49852a618e

Remove from watchlist:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.asp...DS=1&ACTION=REM

Actually, as a cache owner, you would receive these notifications without setting the cache up on your watchlist. That way, any time anyone logs your cache, you know the status, what they think of it, and if there are problems you need to deal with.

The reasons for watching other owners' caches are varied. I like to watch all caches within 10 miles of my house to see the activity. I also watch some of my favorites that I've already found from other areas to hear other people's comments. Some people watch caches they intend to hunt in the near future. Some people watch caches they couldn't find - I think just for the masochistic reason of hearing how easy it was for other people to find it later. :huh:

If you're a premium member, you can have an unlimited number of caches on your watchlist - but I think (and don't quote me) that the max for a non-premium member is 50 caches.

:huh: Hi Markwell,

What is the purpose of receiving the notification? Is there then something I would need to do once I received this notification? Or is it just sort of to feel good that you made someone's day by providing them with a Cache to find?

FluteLlama

Hi,

I'm not Markwell, but I can tell you some reasons why I watch caches:

* I really enjoyed the cache and I want to see what subsequent finders have to say about the cache, or about my log entry.

* I couldn't find the cache, and I want to see whether others are able to find it, or whether the owner posts a note for it.

* I am planning to look for the cache in the near future, and have already printed out the page. I want to see all logs that are posted since my printing, in case a problem develops with the cache (like it goes missing).

* I left something special in the cache, and I want to see if anyone mentions it in a log entry.

* I am planning to look for the cache in the near future, and have already printed out the page. I want to see all logs that are posted since my printing, in case a problem develops with the cache (like it goes missing).

I'm glad someone posed the question about the watch list. I understood some of the reasons for putting a cache on the list, but I wasn't aware that it generated emails of future logs to those caches. That's handy! I'm glad I took the time to read this thread. Also, thanks to those that answered the member's question with such clarity.

PS,

I see you have ATCF listed on your glossary, which is a term I haven't seen used, although I'm sure it's somewhere.

What you're missing, is the unit for this measurement, chromes. That gets used occasionally on the forums.

Jamie

To me, it appears to be used only slightly more than "booty nuggets", which is to say, almost never. A search of all the GC forums turned up exactly 3 uses of it, outside of threads whose subject matter was geocaching terms.

PS,

I see you have ATCF listed on your glossary, which is a term I haven't seen used, although I'm sure it's somewhere.

What you're missing, is the unit for this measurement, chromes. That gets used occasionally on the forums.

Jamie

To me, it appears to be used only slightly more than "booty nuggets", which is to say, almost never. A search of all the GC forums turned up exactly 3 uses of it, outside of threads whose subject matter was geocaching terms.

This is really funny. I just submitted an event cache where I used ATCF as an instruction. :(