Big Lizard In My Backyard

necron

One of my friends (with my help) put a cache in his backyard. We did this mostly to meet other cachers and maybe offer them a beer. It was fairly amusing as this was a rather hard cache, often taking the seekers over 30 mins to find. The problem with this is that some people had hangups about poking around his backyard. He lives in an apartment complex with some muggles around, but the cache is literally right in HIS backyard where no one would mind. Do you think a cache like this could be pulled off with out making anyone mad?

Even though the cache might be in his yard, a searcher's GPS might be pointing into a neighbors yard. Remember that the GPS units are not perfect and errors in reading are very common. I'd be sure the neighbors are aware and don't mind stangers poking around in their yards either.

I found a cache in someones driveway once. Felt kinda weird poking around next to his garage. His neighbor saw me as I was replacing it so I figured I should knock on the door and explain that the neighbor might be a bit concerned.

I'd do another one....but I've never been accused of being shy.

Here's an idea to clear up the "which yard is the right yard" issue. Get one of the big "official geocache" stickers, and put it on a window visible from where people would enter to seek the cache. Put a note on the cache page, stating the cache is on private property, with permission, and to look for the "official geocache" sticker, to make sure you're in 'the right yard'.

Here's an idea to clear up the "which yard is the right yard" issue. Get one of the big "official geocache" stickers, and put it on a window visible from where people would enter to seek the cache. Put a note on the cache page, stating the cache is on private property, with permission, and to look for the "official geocache" sticker, to make sure you're in 'the right yard'.

Excellent idea! Pepper of supergenius does that...displays the geocaching.com logo out front.

I"m going to be renting a house with a yard where i'm headed. i think what i will do is put a logo in the window, and clearly state in the description that all is kosher. in the crypto part i'll offer a free beer to the frustrated... i think that should clear up all problems!