History

teamcourage

this web sight is way off on the history of geroching. I cant claim to have started it like the guy who runs this sight thinks he did but I know he didn't Me and a group of buddies have been doing geocahcing since about 1980 course we dint have gps back then and used map and compass but some one needs to get the history straight. recently I took a class of geocahcing in the area and heckled the instructor because he treated this web sight has the Bible of geoaching I was like wrong it is not the office web page the owner just thinks he started it and like to pat him self on the back.

this web sight is way off on the history of geroching. I cant claim to have started it like the guy who runs this sight thinks he did but I know he didn't Me and a group of buddies have been doing geocahcing since about 1980 course we dint have gps back then and used map and compass but some one needs to get the history straight. recently I took a class of geocahcing in the area and heckled the instructor because he treated this web sight has the Bible of geoaching I was like wrong it is not the office web page the owner just thinks he started it and like to pat him self on the back.

Geocaching as we know it did start from a single cache placed by Dave Ulmer.

I've also heard tales of people who played the same game perhaps with a different name long before that first "stash" was placed. The catch is, while other people did something similar none of what they did grew into what we do now. That distinction does belong to Dave Ulmer.

Letterboxing also pre-dates geocaching, but similar as it is, it's not geocaching and didn't grow into geocaching.

You may know what you are talking about, but you do lack knowledge enough to heckle and not look like a moron.

From the Brief History of Geocaching:

Update! - Even earlier, Nuuksion Metsäsissit, initially Metsäsissit, had been hunting locations in the Greater Helsinki, Finland, area based on coordinates since the 1980s. Although they used 1:20,000 maps and half-a-millimeter measurement accuracy which gives 10-meter accuracy for the location, they started to use GPS in the early 1990's to determine accuracy. In many ways this was a precursor to geocaching :lol: (Information provided by Mesu)

Nice to have you with us, Nuuksion! <_<

Bret

Just out of curiousity, how did you know where to look? The coordinates that we use to find a cache are ones that we get from geocaching.com. But where did you get the coordinates that you were using before the site was created?

Did you happen to keep track of all of the geocaches that you and your buddies found (well, they can't actually be called "geocaches", but we'll let that go for now)?

I'm sure we could all benefit from any confirmed historical data that you might make available to us.