Anyone Ever Use Magellan Gps 315 For Geocaching

nicolo

I have a co-worker who has a Magellan GPS 315 that his ex-girlfriend gave him for hiking.

He knows that I geocache and is thinking of trying it out with his GPSr.

Can someone give me some info on this unit that I can pass along to him. Info. such as suitability for geocaching, PC interfacing ( loading waypoints, etc. ), hints/pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Be sure to have him upgrade the firmware to the latest version. There was a problem with the earlier versions in which the unit would go into position averaging when you were moving slow.

Ah, memories of the good ole days. Remember the "hula-wave" technique to break the 315 out of it's averaging mode? ;)

My 315 was relegated to backup status a long time ago but it can brag that it's been on every cache hunt and hike that I've done since. I still say it gets a better sat-lock in heavy wooded areas than it's younger, state-of-the-art units of today.

Cheers, Olar

Yup, I purchased a 315 a couple of years before SA was turned off, and therefore a couple of years before geocaching was "born". Just had to have that "high-tech" toy, you know? When SA was turned off, I was amazed! I was suddenly seeing EPE numbers as low as 3', rather than 80-100'! Then I saw an article in a newspaper about geocaching, and have been hooked ever since. Used that unit for my first 50-60 caches.

My 315 eventually died (too many hours vibrating on the handlebars of a built-to-the-hilt ATC250R in the dunes of Glamis, probably) and I upgraded to an ST Pro, but I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it. ;)

Edited by 4x4van
Be sure to have him upgrade the firmware to the latest version.  There was a problem with the earlier versions in which the unit would go into position averaging when you were moving slow.

Ah, memories of the good ole days. Remember the "hula-wave" technique to break the 315 out of it's averaging mode? ;)

My 315 was relegated to backup status a long time ago but it can brag that it's been on every cache hunt and hike that I've done since. I still say it gets a better sat-lock in heavy wooded areas than it's younger, state-of-the-art units of today.

Cheers, Olar

I agree. I had a 315 and it was rock solid, as well as dead-on.

What they all said.

I had a 315 before SA was turned off. Other than mapping, the only major feature missing from the 315 is WAAS. It is important to upgrade to the lastest firmware, which I think is 3.14 or 3.15. These versions will count down the last 0.1 mile in feet, something the early versions wouldn't do.

GeoForse

I have a 320 which is the same device, but comes with aj different set of built in waypoints. I have used it to locate all my finds and it is an excellent piece of kit. My experieince also is that it is very good at getting a fix in heavy tree cover.

Don't be put off by its age, the fundementals of GPS have not changed. The newer units just have more bells and whistles.

What they all said.

I had a 315 before SA was turned off.  Other than mapping, the only major feature missing from the 315 is WAAS.  It is important to upgrade to the lastest firmware, which I think is 3.14 or 3.15.  These versions will count down the last 0.1 mile in feet, something the early versions wouldn't do.

GeoForse

Will he be able to transfer waypoints via GSAK?

Bethany got me started with GPS by giving me a GPS-315 as a Christmas gift in 1999. I have used it as my one and only GPS for boating, flying, driving, and hiking until just recently buying a Meridian Platinum unit.

The 315 will interface with any good program as it does not use proprietary formats like most of the modern units. Many people have developed their own databases for the 315 and these can be purchased or downloaded for free. The 315 is a great GPS and I see no reason it would not be perfect for Geocaching unless you feel you must have a map. The firmware includes a pretty decent amount of waypoints. The averaging thing was corrected long ago and was not really that big of a deal.

As reported, the satellite lock is very strong. The screen resolution is great and, for hiking, this is a really solid little unit. I was going to sell mine but I decided to keep it forever instead. The Datasend software is no longer supported (updated) by Magellan but this is no real loss. You should be able to pick up a used 315 for about $85.00 and pay no more than about $10.00 - $25.00 for any old version of Datasend. Then buy add-on, current databases off of E-Bay for less than $10 to load current info. You can even turn it into an Aviation GPS, what Megellan called their Model 315A or 320 (all the same unit) for free.

David

Edited by DavidBethany