Member Only Cache Found By A Non-member

A new member only cache popped up in my town this week. I am not a member, so I couldn't view the cache page and get the coordinates. However, based on the name of the cache, I knew where to look. Just for fun I decided to try and find it. After about 45 minutes, I was able to find it. Finding caches is cool, but finding one when you have a .25 mile search radius is even cooler.

But I'm wondering how ethical people feel this practce is. How strongly do people feel about non-members going after member only caches? I obviosly don't get credit for my find, but feel that the satisfaction of finding without coordinates outweighs increasing my rank. Is this against the rules???

That's quite the accomplishment! As far as rules... I believe that applies to postings. I guess the owner could go scratch your name out of the log book, but that's doubtful. If the cache changes status, or you decide to become a member, you should be able to complete the logs for it then. And... WTG!!

it is sort of cool -

as a member myself - I don't see any reason you should not be able to log the cache except you can't because you can't get to the page -

wait a while - many MOC's become public after a while -

did you sign the log in the cache? If so you have fullfilled the rules of the game.

As far as it being unethical? Hell - that ain't my job - this is a game - have fun with it.

edit:

man I type slow - geezzz! 4 in while I was typing --

Edited by CompuCash

I think the reason the most of us list MOC caches isn't to reward paying members but to cut down on the possibility of caches being muggled. Every MOC cache I've ever owned there have ben non-paying members that have found them. I've always allowed them to log the cache. I've also given the coordinates to non-paying members that I trust.

I don't think anyone lists MOC caches to make them available to a special group...rather they do it to protect the cache.

El Diablo

Before i became a premium member i had the same problem. eventually the cache became regular and i was able to log my find.

For those who plan on searching for more MOC's you can cut down your search radius by figuring out coords that are close and then search for caches from that spot. if you guess close enough GC.com will give you the # of feet or miles down to 1/100 of a mile.

There is a Swedish geocaching-team that have found unregistred geocaches three times! With unregistred do I mean: They have been out walking, and said "Wow, that looks like a good hidingplace", and they take a look under the stone and finds a cache. It is a brand new cache that haven't been approved yet.

Three times!

But I'm wondering how ethical people feel this practce is. How strongly do people feel about non-members going after member only caches? I obviosly don't get credit for my find, but feel that the satisfaction of finding without coordinates outweighs increasing my rank. Is this against the rules???

First off, you never know what is going to set off a cache owner. The forums are filled with complaints of owners deleting legitmate logs, sometimes because of minuscule errors in verification. So, be prepared for the highly off chance someone gets irrate about it.

With that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with hunting any cache that is out there, including a MOC. Just remember that a cache is owned by a private individual, respect their wishes. Of course, because if it's a MOC you don't know that you, as a non-paying member, aren't allowed to hunt it.

Oh, the "don't get credit for my find" is not true either. You found it, own it. Just because you can't get gc.com to increment your find count doesn't mean you can't take credit for it. Gc.com is not the official find count host, if it were you'd be able to increment your find count based on private caches and cache listed on other websites. The only number that really counts is number of logs you've signed and verified places you've been, not the number of logs you've written.

A find is a find and it's yours to keep forever, period.

I've found 3 as a non-member (using different methods each time!) but refuse to log them online because I feel they are exclusionary. (I'll sign the book but not email the owner.)

(Ironically, if I became a member, then I'd refuse to even go to them for the same reason. )

So kudos on your excellant find--I bet it'll be one of your most memorable! (Even if the placers choose to exclude you from sharing your fun experience with others...)

Enjoy,

Randy

Good caching skills... I often have thought how cool it would be to find a cache I was not looking for or did not have the coords for...

NuBi Parker, CO

Ha! this just happened a couple weeks ago in my town. a cacher was checking out a park for a place to drop his first cache...and found another cache hidden that was in queue to be approved.

...refuse to log them online because I feel they are exclusionary.

Of course they are exclusionary, but then so are SCUBA caches or climbing caches - or any 5* (diff/terr) cache. I could pay for 50 to 100 years of GC membership for what I've spent on climbing gear alone.

--------------------

E-mail the owner and ask to log the find. If he gets upset about you finding his cache, that's his problem. Good job!