Micro Caches

GeoGordie

:)

Hi to all ... Found my FIRST and Second Micro's today .. yeee haaa !!

Now, I found the capsule for sale on the Gear section ... but where do you get the mini-log that you use for the Micro capsules?

Can you get Bigger capsules ? Other places to order from (read better price) ?

Thanks !

Gordon (kw4cz) in Greensboro

:D

Hi to all ... Found my FIRST and Second Micro's today .. yeee haaa !!

Now, I found the capsule for sale on the Gear section ... but where do you get the mini-log that you use for the Micro capsules?

Thanks !

The world is too full of micros.Why don't you buck the trend and hide REAL cache?

Weekdays by Drew

N 33° 53.926 W 78° 28.164 (WGS84)

Use waypoint: GC5FF

Size: Regular Hidden on 4/5/2001

In North Carolina, United States

This is the site I found the TB's that I have mentioned in previous posts and a few of you guys have asked about. Lesson learned here .. will list the Cache when I post about finding TB's !! Plans are that I will locate a cache to drop these two off today and send them on their way. Got a few possible sites loaded in the Legend and will be out and about today....[ :D ]

Yes, there are a Blue Ton of Micro's out there .. but, remember back when you were a "newbie" and you just couldn't wait to hide something ?? Well....... gotta do just one or two just for the experience and thrill. Oh yeah, did pick up a 30 cal. ammo box yesterday to get ready for the "REAL Cache" I'm working on ... so, there is hope for me yet ?? Hey... shoot me an e-mail off the GeoSite list and we can teach the Old Dog some new tricks .. still learning guys and gals.

Best of the day to you,

Gordon in Greensboro

You can use a variety of containers for micros (or for the new "small" category), including 35 mm film canisters, Altoids tins, magnetic key holders, surplus decon containers, etc. Some places to get some of these (others can be had at your corner drug store):

REI (Bison Capsules)

Sissy & CR (Bison Capsules, Super Magnets to Make your own magnetic micros)

Army Surplus Warehouse (Decon Containers)

Enjoy your first hide!

You can use a variety of containers for micros (or for the new "small" category), including 35 mm film canisters, Altoids tins, magnetic key holders, surplus decon containers, etc.

I've seen prescription medicine bottles used for micros. I think they have to seal well because they're often kept in bathroom and humidity/moisture can ruin many kinds of tablets.

Edited by Thot
:anicute:

Hi to all ...  Found my FIRST and Second Micro's today .. yeee haaa !!

Thanks !

The world is too full of micros.Why don't you buck the trend and hide REAL cache?

Real Caches are for wimps :rolleyes: , Hide micros and make it challenging. :D

:D

Hi to all ...  Found my FIRST and Second Micro's today .. yeee haaa !!

Thanks !

Real Caches are for wimps :rolleyes: , Hide micros and make it challenging. :(

Ya, those 15 film cans I've found under lightpoles have been extreamly exciting and I'm glad to have seen parts of parking lots I'd never go to without the thrill of a damp log micro. :anicute:

I guess I dont understand something. I know that i have only found a few caches so far (5 2 regular and 3 micros) but I have enjoyed them all. one of the micros took me looking for 2 days. I have enjoyed them all. any cache, if well hidden is a good cache. I am currently planning to hide a regular cache and a wickedly hidden micro. in honor of the last micro i found (inclination to the bridge to nowhere)

I keep reading about people complaining about micros (nurse dave said Ya, those 15 film cans I've found under lightpoles have been extreamly exciting and I'm glad to have seen parts of parking lots I'd never go to without the thrill of a damp log micro) look if you dont like them dont look for them, if your going to look for them even if you dont like them then have the sense not to complain about it.

Any cache, if well hidden is a good cache.

If you dont like them, dont look for them, if your going to look for them even if you dont like them then have the sense not to complain about it.

Your response shows that you understand the issues well! For background:

Some people believe micros are more likely to be lame (poorly hidden or in uninteresting spots). The micro-bashers will argue that a (lame) micro blocks other caches because of the geocaching.com rule that caches must be at least 0.1 miles (528 feet) apart to prevent oversaturating an area. Of course if the location is lame - i.e. a lamp post in a parking lot - you probably wouldn't hide a regular cache within it's forbidden radius anyway.

As you said, the issue is not the cache type, but the cleverness of the hide and the nature of the location. Any cache type can be placed in a lame spot or hidden poorly.

As for the complaining, it's what some people do best. My fear is that the geobashers eventually will get everything banned except large ammo cans (virtuals and locationless caches have already been banned, for all intents and purposes, based on the blocking a "real" cache argument). Then the geobashers can complain about the lack of diversity among caches!

As much as I enjoy finding a camouflaged ammo can in the woods, I think I like finding a very well-done urban micro that someone put in some time and effort better. You know the ones. Custom made containers that look like they belong there. There are a few around here that are real forehead slappers.

A good test of lameness of a micro might be if someone asks you to delete their log. That way you know they are disgusted enough to give up the smiley.

I love micros of all kinds even lamp post housing micros. Recently found one in Reno where the hider used the whole area in the lamp post housing for trading items. The trade items have to be water proof. Only the log was in a micro container. Not sure this qualifies as a micro, but it might get rid of some of the criticism if items can be exchanged.

Personally I find any thing in a city more interesting than something in the woods and micros are placed easier in the city.

Any cache, if well hidden is a good cache.

If you dont like them, dont look for them, if your going to look for them even if you dont like them then have the sense not to complain about it.

Your response shows that you understand the issues well! For background:

Some people believe micros are more likely to be lame (poorly hidden or in uninteresting spots). The micro-bashers will argue that a (lame) micro blocks other caches because of the geocaching.com rule that caches must be at least 0.1 miles (528 feet) apart to prevent oversaturating an area. Of course if the location is lame - i.e. a lamp post in a parking lot - you probably wouldn't hide a regular cache within it's forbidden radius anyway.

As you said, the issue is not the cache type, but the cleverness of the hide and the nature of the location. Any cache type can be placed in a lame spot or hidden poorly.

As for the complaining, it's what some people do best. My fear is that the geobashers eventually will get everything banned except large ammo cans (virtuals and locationless caches have already been banned, for all intents and purposes, based on the blocking a "real" cache argument). Then the geobashers can complain about the lack of diversity among caches!

Nope, I've never complained about the density of caches. In fact I try to advocate for not saturating every park and open space even when they are regular caches. Give these guys a little room to breath and make each one worth while I say.

Yes, any type of cache can be lame, but I think it's easier to make a micro lame because you can just throw one anywhere. If it's a regular cache then more thought went into the cammo or you know you're at least far enough away from the bussle of people that it won't be found (hopefully).

And lastly, yes I do hunt micros even though they are becomming a virus in the caching community. I have a caching habit and get the shakes if I drive by a cache without pulling over to look for it. So does that mean that it's a worth while hide because it adds a smiley to my page? Nope. Just means it's just another smiley. I'd rather there wasn't a cache within 10 miles of me and I'd be forced to drive to the hills and be shown a nice little out of the way place. Sure I could do this on my own anyway and I do, but the micros under the light poles are still thoughtless and add nothing to the comminty as a whole IMHO.