Santa Cruz County Coin

Kealia

Hey guys,

It was going to be difficult to do this over email, and trying to scheudle meetings to review the design would be a nightmare, so here we go.

This is the first pass at side one:

3ac89314-43ae-4d31-9029-99532fd7233a.jpg

The latin means "hunting beneath the Redwoods" - thanks Sarge.

Side two will be either the normal Geocaching logo, or we can use the Generic Geocaching logo and have more freedom - thoughts?

My initial thought is that side one needs more and bigger trees, and the man should be changed to a family since most (if not all of us) seem to do this as a family activity.

Feedback?

What about side 2?

I would vote against using the GC logo if it has the geocaching.com URL on it. That is always confusing when it comes to tracking. If you aren't interested in tracking them, then it's a non-issue. If you are though, you might want to have the URL of your tracking site. (You are welcome to use 'santacruz.calif.geocoin.net' or any other *.geocoin.net address that you might like).

--Marky

I would vote against using the GC logo if it has the geocaching.com URL on it. That is always confusing when it comes to tracking. If you aren't interested in tracking them, then it's a non-issue. If you are though, you might want to have the URL of your tracking site. (You are welcome to use 'santacruz.calif.geocoin.net' or any other *.geocoin.net address that you might like).

--Marky

Agreed. The consensus was to NOT track these as most end up asa colelctor's items anyway. The tracking would add expenses and workload.

Most people I've talked to who have personal coins say their experince is the same. you have to know going into this that the majority of these coins will NOT travel; they'll be kept.

I forgot that you have to use the GC URL if you use the logo so I suggest we use the generic logo for side two. Of course we could do something totally different if there are any ideas.....

You could use the "generic" geocaching logo for the other side.

The coins look neat. The guy looks kind of like a felonous lumberjack though, Santa Cruz should have some sort of hippy family out caching. ;) Or maybe Mountain Charlie.

Getting the ocean in part of the background would be very appropriate too.

It's a neat idea in any case and I'd probably buy a few of whatever you end up with.

Have you seen this image from the Washington state geocoin thread? :ph34r: Look at how the blue on the (color) moun10bike coin stands out.

Geocoins.jpg

I like the art work.

What program did you use?

Are you going to use Press Metal or another company.

The Company that is doing the Washington Geocoin, can't remember the name, might be a good option.

As for side two, you could do what the Washington Geocoin is doing with the generic Geocaching lono.

Dillon Gang and I are tossing around ideas for the 2005 version of the California Geocoin. I would reallylike to have some color in that version.

Anyway, even though I am not a Santa Cruz guy, I would love to order some when they are available.

Answers:

Yes, I've seen the WA coin and we're going to throw in some color after we finalize the design elements. Also thinking about color in the outside ring like the GeoNap coin.

I couldn't tell you what hte program is 'cuz I'm having the guy that did the WA coin do this - I don't posess the talent to do something like this :ph34r: .

I've got the company lined up but I can't recall the name now. It's NOT Pressed Metal though. The coin will be more like the wA coin and the Moun10Bike coins - with detail and ridges as opposed to the flat surface.

Maybe we should change the lumberejack looking guy to a guy hugging a tree? ;)

Since you are looking for feedback, do those trees really look Redwoods?

They look more like your common Evergreen Tree.

Also, as for the man goes, are you really looking for such a rustic looking figure?

And finally, I agree with others that there should be some type of Ocean background.

It would be nice if someone could check my Latin.... I was going from an online dictionary, so the words probably translate right, but I'm not sure about the actual grammar. I never could conjugate verbs very well. Any lawyers or priests out there who actually knows Latin?

Hey Touchstone... thanks for thinking of me when you saw the muscular lumberjack guy... but you know I look more like this:

20e668f1-38d9-45b2-9b8a-1c6ca29596de.jpg

If you want to add color to the coin... might I suggest green? :D

As far as opinions.... I love adding a wave/ocean.... I prefer a family/group over lumberjack man.... (Could also use a grizzly bear (one of the local pioneers, Isaac Graham, is said to have fought a grizzly with a knife) (Graham Hill road is named after him).

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out! Thanks for all the work Kealia!

As far as opinions.... I love adding a wave/ocean.... I prefer a family/group over lumberjack man.... (Could also use a grizzly bear (one of the local pioneers, Isaac Graham, is said to have fought a grizzly with a knife) (Graham Hill road is named after him).

Any suggestions on how to incorporate a wave.ocean into this?

I am in agreement on making it a group/family.

(Mountain Charley fought a bear, too. That's where that road name came from as well. Hope I never get a road named after me! :D )

It would be nice if someone could check my Latin.... I was going from an online dictionary, so the words probably translate right, but I'm not sure about the actual grammar. I never could conjugate verbs very well.

"People called Romani they go the outs?" :D

(Monty Python joke)

i would definitely skip the gc logo on the back, thats getting way over used and boring.

Already decided. Additionally it causes confusion since they aren't tracked on the GC site.

I've sent feedback to the designer and will post a revised version soon.

It may take a while as he's injured his wrist and it on limited PC duty right now....

I think it's pretty good. There should be the word GEOCACHING on there somewhere. Or GEOCOIN. What about it on the bottom of one side. Santa Cruz doesn't need to be on both sides. I'll imagine people may want more than just water on the flip side, but I like it. Just fix the little dude and his lunchbox and I think it's sweet. Hey, I'll trade ya one of these for one of your shot glasses. :lol:

Edited by Nurse Dave
I think it's pretty good. There should be the word GEOCACHING on there somewhere. Or GEOCOIN. What about it on the bottom of one side. Santa Cruz doesn't need to be on both sides. I'll imagine people may want more than just water on the flip side, but I like it. Just fix the little dude and his lunchbox and I think it's sweet. Hey, I'll trade ya one of these for one of your shot glasses. :lol:

Agreed on all points.

I think what I'm shooting for is the generic logo on side two with the words GEOCACHING on the ring.

Working on all the listed changes for side 1 including incorporating the water somehow.

Keep an eye on the Lexington area caches - I'm planning a trip there in the next two weeks (I may hit Nisene Marks this w/e). next few weeks are busy - little one turns 6 and we've got relatives coming over and parties to do.

I think all the ideas being discussed are good. It sound like a nice geocoin is shaping up.

As little off topic, but I really liked the picture of all those Geocoins that Team Nazgul posted.

I noticed that all those Gecoins are in round protective type cases. Does anyone know where you can get such a thing?

As little off topic, but I really liked the picture of all those Geocoins that Team Nazgul posted.

I noticed that all those Gecoins are in round protective type cases. Does anyone know where you can get such a thing?

I think coin stores sell them, plus places online. I bought a couple along with my USA geocoins in the same order. There was a post in the CA geocoin thread (I think) that had the brand name and size that fit the CA geocoins just right.

[Keep an eye on the Lexington area caches - I'm planning a trip there in the next two weeks (I may hit Nisene Marks this w/e). next few weeks are busy - little one turns 6 and we've got relatives coming over and parties to do.

Be sure to visit the ones up at Priest Rock and such then, I could use a little extra motivation to get up to those. :lol: Or WoW's "Lexington View" for that matter...

Be sure to visit the ones up at Priest Rock and such then, I could use a little extra motivation to get up to those. :lol: Or WoW's "Lexington View" for that matter...

Not sure how far in I'll get - I'm going to be on limited time :lol: .

A & C: Thanks for the link. I've been thinking about buying some of these and wasn't sure where to start looking.

My Texas coin is in one, but it came that way.

i would definitely skip the gc logo on the back, thats getting way over used and boring.

Already decided. Additionally it causes confusion since they aren't tracked on the GC site.

two designs often equal 2 set up and milling (term) the die = more inital $....might check with the company who's minting what the difference would be...

like the wave... wiating for my photoshop cs to arrive to play around with some coin editing.... :lol:

you could put word geocaching on the back and the year minted