Is This A Record?

The Bluejay Team

Do we have the record for the longest held TB to return from the "dead"? (Not counting those who "reactivate" their own bugs). Ours went 11 months, 6 days and was then placed by the same geocacher who took it. We had emailed after a couple months and received a polite, "will get it going". After that we gave up, so it was really a pleasant surprise to get our bug going again. We can't believe anyone would still be able to find a travel bug they picked up almost a year ago. Surprisingly, we really feel good about this geocacher! B)

WOW! And I felt guilty because I held one for two and a half weeks. I intended to bring it to Florida, but my trip was delayed a week because of the hurricanes.

IMHO if you have someones TB, then 2 weeks should be the most you hold it. Now of course there are things that come up, so if it's an extra week or even two, hey, it happens. I don't see any reason to hold it for months. Take a half hour and place it in a local cache if you can't find time to place it where you originally intended.

This whole sport/game/hobby is based on mutual cooperation. Having respect for others property. Watching out for a fellow cachers stuff.

TB's are meant to travel! Not sit in someones dresser draw for a year.

Just my opinion,

G O Casher

I picked up a travelbug once when I was unemployed. I removed it from a cache that had a creek that had to be waded to get the cache and the water was too high for the winter to wade. But I knew a way to drive around and hike in through the woods with no trail to rescue him.

Then I got a job and started working 12 hr days 7 days a week for weeks on end and had no time to place him in an appropiate cache.

I felt guilty about holding it for so long and would have been upset if I had seen how someone like me would have been treated in the forums because I held it so long.

But in reality I did the bug owner a favor and placed it in another cache 1 1/2 months before someone visited the cache it was in after I took it.

Why haven't I seen anyone flamed or put down for putting a bug in a cache that might get snowed in , surrounded by flood waters or something that would make it otherwise near impossible to retrieve for months. but just for holding it more than 2 weeks?

Do we have the record for the longest held TB to return from the "dead"? (Not counting those who "reactivate" their own bugs). Ours went 11 months, 6 days and was then placed by the same geocacher who took it. We had emailed after a couple months and received a polite, "will get it going". After that we gave up, so it was really a pleasant surprise to get our bug going again. We can't believe anyone would still be able to find a travel bug they picked up almost a year ago. Surprisingly, we really feel good about this geocacher! :D

Nope this cache started with one that was 1 1/2 years in captivity. The 8 month one in the cache was mine. I didn't share the same happy opinion of the person that held mine.

WOW! And I felt guilty because I held one for two and a half weeks. I intended to bring it to Florida, but my trip was delayed a week because of the hurricanes.

You should never feel guilty for holding a TB for 2 weeks.

The site is set so that after 14 days you get a little * after a TB name in your TB hold list... I say, once that * has been there for at least a week, then feel guilty.

Why haven't I seen anyone flamed or put down for putting a bug in a cache that might get snowed in , surrounded by flood waters or something that would make it otherwise near impossible to retrieve for months. but just for holding it more than 2 weeks?

Just to clarify, once you place a TB in a cache, you are no longer holding it. If you place a TB in a cache, and no one else goes to retrieve it, that's not your fault. But if you take a bug, and don't place it in a cache for an extended period of time, then you're making it imposible for it to travel.

Just to clarify, once you place a TB in a cache, you are no longer holding it. If you place a TB in a cache, and no one else goes to retrieve it, that's not your fault. But if you take a bug, and don't place it in a cache for an extended period of time, then you're making it imposible for it to travel.

Exactly. It might be hard for someone to get a TB out of a 5/5 cache, but the possibility exists. There's hope!

If the TB is at your house, there's no hope until you get it back out in the wild.

I've been sort of lucky recently - I have had some Travel Bugs come back unexpectedly from the dead! Here are some examples:

Moab Dreamer was placed on February 15, 2001 and showed up again finally on September 7, 2003 - 19 months!

Alaska Snow Tracker was grabbed on September 15, 2002 and didn't get logged again until August 31, 2004 - 23 months!

Yoda was grabbed on December 29, 2001 and didn't see movement again until February 2, 2004 - more than two years!

I've been sort of lucky recently - I have had some Travel Bugs come back unexpectedly from the dead! Here are some examples:

Moab Dreamer was placed on February 15, 2001 and showed up again finally on September 7, 2003 - 19 months!

Alaska Snow Tracker was grabbed on September 15, 2002 and didn't get logged again until August 31, 2004 - 23 months!

Yoda was grabbed on December 29, 2001 and didn't see movement again until February 2, 2004 - more than two years!

That's awesome to see -- I've had a couple go missing already and would love to see them back again someday...