Paintball Event Cache #2:

lostinjersey

Inspired by this thread (also discussed here) I would like to float the idea of a paintball event in the NJ/PA area. Here's the game plan. Those who are interest would meet at the paintball field at 9AM, and following that, the actual geocache event would held post-game at a nearby restaurant. I typically shoot 'em up at Skirmish, in Jim Thorpe, PA, aproximately 90 mins from Bergen county.

I want to know if thats too far for the north jersey cachers. Otherwise we could do it at ABC Paintball in West Milford. Harrold and Hart have played there and they think its pretty cool, so I'll go by their opinions. I'm sure we could find a place for geocache part of it nearby too. I admit I'm preferential to Skirmish despite the distsance because they have so many great fields there. But I'm mindful of the distance, so whatever people think is best/easiest. I'm interested in as big a turnout as possible.

This would probably be some time in October btw. Cool, but not yet really cold.

Remmber, the paintball element is optional. Folks who dont want to get themselves shot up can attend the geocache part of it only if thats their choice.

One huge benefit of getting a decent group is we can play amongst ourselves. We don't have to worry about the swat team players who can... um... tend to make it an unpleasant experience for those who aren't as skilled or experienced. Besides it's MUCH more fun to shoot people you know then total strangers. I'm just wondering if I want to play with hart or against him. Hmmm.... :lol:

Edited by Gwho

ABC has 2 fields. One woods ball and one speed ball. It doesn’t matter how many of us show up. You’ll have to play against people that are real good and some that are real bad. They try and balance the teams out for skills as well as numbers. If you all want to go there I can make all the arrangements.

They open at 9:30am and the first woods games are around 10am. The Bardmin and I play there almost every week. We stay in the woods though. Last game in the woods is about 4pm. Last game on the speedball field is about 4:30pm

I don’t know any decent places to have an event afterwards though. Also most people only want a shower after a day at paintball. The cost to play breaks down like this.

$15 if you have your own gear

$40 if you rent gear

$15 per 500 paintballs

With enough warning I can have a few cases of paintballs there. The price would be $10 per 500. The average player goes through 800-1200 paintballs a day. A new player or first time player can expect to shoot about 1500. I am going to quote a couple of posts from the ABC forums that I posted a few days ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 2 fields at ABC. A speedball field that you will see first and a woods ball field you need to walk a minute or two to get to. After you have paid and gotten your gear you then go around towards the field. Who ever is the head ref that day (Most likely Bill) will give you a 15 minute orientation. They go over the rules of play and safety.

The refs at ABC are very serious about safety. Keeping your goggles on whenever you are on the field, crono station or walking up to the woods field is a must. Keeping your barrel cover/plug in when ever you’re not playing is just as important. There is little tolerance for goofing around with those two things.

Most of the players are very friendly. They will offer tips and hints about strategy and basic play. Most of them are looking to get more people playing and thus making the game they love bigger and better. So you won’t find a lot of newbie bashing.

Most of all have fun. Paintball is a great way to spend a day. You’ll have stories to tell for days from just one day of playing. There are lunch breaks at both fields. Just ask around for what time those are and you can plan your day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The amount of players on each team depends on the amount of players that show up. The speedball field is very large and can easily handle 20 on 20. The woods ball field can handle about the same.

With folks coming and going all day and sitting out a game (to rest, reload, clean guns or eat) it’s almost a guarantee that you can play as many games as you want to.

The refs are pretty careful about splitting up players so that no one side dominates the other. They know most of the regulars and know their skill level. There is always the off chance that an off balance will occur. Quietly mention to a ref that is was un-balanced and they will do their best to fix it next game.

They will also allow groups to play together as much as possible. You and your friends could play on the same team or split up. Try playing both ways. Shooting a friend is always worth bragging rights for a few weeks.

Edited by Harrald

Personally I prefer Skirmish because of the reasons GWho mentioned, but if Harrold has an 'in' with the place in Milford it might make sense to have it there. Also the place in Milford sound much less costly because they allow you to use your own paint. At Skirmish you have to buy paint from them which can be costly.

Edited by Mxyzptlk

Skirmish charges $29.95 for entry and gear for the day. The rub with them is this...

Full Case = 2000 paintballs = $99.00

1500 paintballs = $82.00

1000 paintballs = $59.00

500 paintballs = $35.00

100 paintballs = $7.50

12 or more cases of paint = $72.00 per case

5 or more cases = $85.00 per case

You must use thier paint. Leftover paint can be used there for up to one year. Of course you could take you paint and shoot it elsewhere. If everyone wants to make the trip to Skirmish I can help set that up also.

You must use thier paint. Leftover paint can be used there for up to one year. Of course you could take you paint and shoot it elsewhere. If everyone wants to make the trip to Skirmish I can help set that up also.

thats the only issue I have with them: their paints expensive. We can always do both over time. I'm gonna wait a few more days before making a decision. I also must, of course, find a suitable place for the official event....

Hmm, doubt I could make that one...but sounds like an interesting idea. I found 4 while in Chicago for the Shatnerball 3 (Mobster Mash) game. I guess Geocaching and Paintball go hand in hand. A few years ago I actually ran into someone from Erie on here that I played with back around 95, and didn't realize it:)

Ok I have done some detective work and heres the proposal.

Paintball would be held at abc paintball on marshall hill rd in W Milford (aprox at N41 02.674 W75 34.953) from 9-4PM on Saturday November 4th. Harrald already posted prices, and you are best to bring your own paint as its cheaper. guns & camo suits are available for rental. THIS IS COMPLETAELY OPTIONAL TO THE EVENT! This is a pre-event fun thuing to do, sort of like a bonus!

Please feel free to invite your friends, relatives, for a fun game of paintball. I havea special surprise for anyone who attends this part of the days activity.Note that kids under 18 are permitted but need parental permission to play (liability issues)

Whose coming to this?

THE ACTUAL GEOCACHING EVENT: is tenatively planned for the Village Square Inn at 2991 Route 23 in newfoundland. it's about 15-20 minutes from the paintball field. We would start at 530, and attending this gets you a smiley face. The room capacity there is 40, so I need a head count of anyone who plans to attend, and they especially wanted to know how many kids under 12. if its more then 2-3 then they'll probably staff an extra waitress.

So, whose coming to this?

Again, this is tenative. Nothing is absolutely yet, not the date, not the event location. The only thing for sure is that the paintball will be at ABCpaintball. But as long as there isn't a problem, this is the likely gameplan. I just want to make sure that there will be enough people attending to be worth while, but not too many people for the restaurant to handle.

Edited by Gwho

Just a couple of points

Paintball would be held at abc paintball on marshall hill rd in W Milford (aprox at N41 02.674 W75 34.953) from 9-4PM on Saturday November 4th.

They don't open at the field till 9:30am and they start slow.

Harrald already posted prices, and you are best to bring your own paint as its cheaper. guns & camo suits are available for rental. 

I just need a rough idea of how many people would like me to bring paint for them

Please feel free to invite your friends, relatives, for a fun game of paintball. I havea special surprise for anyone who attends this part of the days activity.Note that kids under 18 are permitted but need parental permission to play (liability issues)

Here is a link to the waiver form. It would help speed things up at the field if you've already filled this out. Everyone must fill out a form. Children under ten are not allowed.

Ok I have done some detective work and heres the proposal.

Paintball would be held at abc paintball on marshall hill rd in W Milford (aprox at N41 02.674 W75 34.953) from 9-4PM on Saturday November 4th. Harrald already posted prices, and you are best to bring your own paint as its cheaper. guns & camo suits are available for rental. THIS IS COMPLETAELY OPTIONAL TO THE EVENT! This is a pre-event fun thuing to do, sort of like a bonus!

Whose coming to this?

THE ACTUAL GEOCACHING EVENT: is tenatively planned for the Village Square Inn at 2991 Route 23 in newfoundland. it's about 15-20 minutes from the paintball field. We would start at 530, and attending this gets you a smiley face. The room capacity there is 40, so I need a head count of anyone who plans to attend, and they especially wanted to know how many kids under 12. if its more then 2-3 then they'll probably staff an extra waitress.

So, whose coming to this?

Again, this is tenative. Nothing is absolutely yet, not the date, not the event location. The only thing for sure is that the paintball will be at ABCpaintball. But as long as there isn't a problem, this is the likely gameplan. I just want to make sure that there will be enough people attending to be worth while, but not too many people for the restaurant to handle.

I'd really like to go....but November 4th this year is a THURSDAY.

We are talking about this year, right? :D I guess it's supposed to be the 6th?

I'd really like to go....but November 4th this year is a THURSDAY.

We are talking about this year, right? :) I guess it's supposed to be the 6th?

I was at work today, not doing nothing, not thinking nothing, jsut zoning out when all of a sudden out of the blue a voice said "You told them saturday the 4th you idjit!"

Comke in here, sure nuff, as HC said and as the little voice said, I wrote saturday the 4th.

D'oh!

It should read the 6th. My apologies.

Sat. the 6th I will be there. I'll let the owner know there is a group coming and about how many there will be. They just had a group of 40 show up and it went well. We had a few games in the woods that were 40 on 40. It was pretty cool. There was almost no where to hide.

I just loaded the paintball event cache for approval. In the mean time, does anybody in the Poconos know of any decent restaurants that could handle an event cache in the Jim Thorpe, PA area? I debated holding the event there at Skirmish, but decided on W Milford for a number of reasons. I'll be in skirmish next weekend and hope to iron out some wrinkles that made Skirmish not so inviting, but I also need to check out restaurants for the official part 2 event cache. Anybody got an ideas? if this event works out, and IF I cna work out the details, I'd like to have another event like it 12/11 since it'll be Skirmishs 1/2 price paint day.

Edited by Gwho

GWho - I have played at Skirmish ( ages and ages ago ) but as i recall everything thier is expensive as hell.

Hell at my Proshop the most expensive paint we sell in 69.99 a case of 2000 rounds and thats high end tournament paint. The medium grade stuff its about $60 ish for the good medium and 53 for the low medium and 47 for econo stuff.

Word to the wise - Typically stay away from paint from WalMart, Dicks, Sports Athority because its not going to be fresh or well maintained.

Why are all the fun events on saturdays ?? :/

GWho - I have played at Skirmish ( ages and ages ago ) but as i recall everything thier is expensive as hell.

I know, I try to go when they have their half price sale when its only $50 a case and not $100. that comes up in December. I stock up and use that when i go back the other 2 times a year. I'm all out now cause I blew my stash at a bachelor party we held at skirmish. so tomorrow will be expensive. oh well.

Word to the wise - Typically stay away from paint from WalMart, Dicks, Sports Athority because its not going to be fresh or well maintained.

thats good to know.

Hell at my Proshop the most expensive paint we sell in 69.99 a case of 2000 rounds and thats high end tournament paint. The medium grade stuff its about $60 ish for the good medium and 53 for the low medium and 47 for econo stuff.

Oh man I would love to do this, but I don't think I am going to be able to make it. I will just be back from a two week trip to the west coast and likely will not have time to make that trip. But man I am sure Harrald & briansnat would love to get my butt on the field and fire away, how much fun would that be. Hopefully, there will be another time.

I have always wanted to go paintballing but have just never gotten around to it. Can you tell me what is the difference in the types of paintballs you mention? What makes one better than the other? Is the price difference worth it? Like I said I have never gone so don't laugh too loud at what might be a very stupid question and which may be obvious if in fact I have ever been.

Didn't ABC run a field near Echo Lake in West Milford?

thats exactly where it is, right off echo lake rd actually.

:D I am confused. :D

Then which outfit has the speedball course behind their store at the "Y" intersection (Greenwood Lk Tnpk & Marshall Hill Rd) near Greenwood Lake? It would be from the Ringwood/Oakland direction. Now that the leaves have thinned out, you can see the course from the main roads.

Like I said I have never gone so don't laugh too loud at what might be a very stupid question and which may be obvious if in fact I have ever been.

there are few stupid questions in paintball, especially from novices. I cant speak for which brands are better then which, but generally speaking the biggest differences you'll find is how... durable the balls are. Cheap crappy ones will break easy in the bag (ruining your stash) or jam and break inside your gun, causing malfunctions, delays and possibly leading to an early exist from the match. on the receiving end, some will definately hurt more then others. I've heard that brass eagles are amongst the most painful to be hit by.

Again, I've no direct knowledge as I don't buy my own paintballs, so far. The place I go skirmish is the anti-byop. So I use whatever they got.

I may try to get another group together in December when its half price paint day up there.

Didn't ABC run a field near Echo Lake in West Milford?

thats exactly where it is, right off echo lake rd actually.

:D I am confused. :D

Then which outfit has the speedball course behind their store at the "Y" intersection (Greenwood Lk Tnpk & Marshall Hill Rd) near Greenwood Lake? It would be from the Ringwood/Oakland direction. Now that the leaves have thinned out, you can see the course from the main roads.

thats abc!