Ever Logged, Then Returned To The Same Cache?

FreeFloat

Have you ever found a cache, logged a visit, then decided to return back to the same cache again? I'm not talking maintenance visits, I'm talking about caches that aren't yours.

If you do go back, do you log the visit? If so, online/the logbook/both? Do you make trades?

The reason I ask is because I'm sometimes tempted, when passing an area I've been before, to "drop in" and see how a cache I've found before, is faring. (Usually when I'm in the area, not anywhere near the computer) Sometimes when it's been a cache full of particularly neat goodies I've been more strongly tempted to see what new goodies may be in there. Especially since I always seem to have trade goodies on hand.

This question especially strikes me when I'm in places that have very few caches to begin with, and not too many new ones being added.

We have dine this a few times while taking new cachers, or cachers from other areas, out caching. We will sometimes write a note in the cache log, but not on-line, but we ask the cachers that are logging the find to just mention that we were "in-tow".

If I see a cool Travel Bug AND We can help achieve its goal, we will "revisit" a cache and pick it up. In these cases we note it in the cache log AND "write a note" on the cache page.

That is how we are currently playing the game, others may disagree, and at some point we may change the way we play, but I do not think we will EVER log a cache find more that once. I know some areas in Texas where the owner will allow double "smilies" for a variety of reasons, but not in our area, and that is not how we have decided to play the game. Everyone plays differently.

If I owned a cache, I'd view a concientious repeat-visitor as a boon. Especially if he were putting things into the cache for others to find, or doing other things that enhance the cache. As a cache owner, I would like to see a note about it, though, in the logs.

It seems only polite to me to let the owner know as much about the traffic to his cache as possible.

It seems especially helpful information if the cache hasn't been logged by anyone in an extended period of time. But even if not, I think cache owners appreciate logging.

-JP

Have you ever found a cache, logged a visit, then decided to return back to the same cache again?  I'm not talking maintenance visits, I'm talking about caches that aren't yours.

Seems like 'oldtimers' in my area do a whole lot of this. Makes sense, when you think about it -- they have to go farther and farther out to hit new caches. Why not revisit closer ones from time to time and see how they're doing? Pick up a travel bug or just revisit a favorite park.

I've thought about it, but there are still too many unplucked fruits low on the tree for me.

I've done this to do travel bug trading, or when I'm revisiting a cache with a friend. I understand your curiousity though; it's the same reason I enjoy doing unfiltered searchs and reading the online logs of caches I've already found. I always post a note so the owner knows that someone went to the cache, and I might compare the cache's state to how it was the last time I was there. Sometimes I use the note to include pictures as well, but that's just because I like taking pictures when I'm caching.

If anyone thinks my caches are worth visiting more than once I'm very pleased!

I would definately think it was neat to if someone thought my cache was worthy of revisiting. A note would be the most appropriate online response. In fact I am getting ready to place an urban cache that is based on such a premise. The main swap items will be movies. I have a ton of VHS movies to swap. :):anibad:

revisiting okay, trades okay, grabbing Travel bugs okay.

Post notes only (no additional found) best choice.

edited: by SF1 to highlight!

Ditto: Elf's comments.

I have a tb hotel very close to home that I visit all the time. I've been told ( jokingly ) that it's my second home! Sometimes, I pick up tb's and other times I drop off tb's. All are logged with post-a-notes. Oh did I say, that I also help maintain it for a fellow cacher, out of respect for hitting it so much. I just recovered it in time, from the great flood from Francis, before it went down stream! :anibad:

If someone was visiting - just to take and take, and not leave anything, that - I would frown :) upon. Trade Fairly, that should be no problem, then. SF1

I don't do this often, but yes sometimes. Either to drop bug off or to trade for a bug. I've gone back for a sig item once,but I do sort of feel funny doing that so I usually won't. I've passed up the new Moun10Bike coins because of this. Frustrating to a degree...did a cache the day before Jon dropped off one those. But I don't think it's right to go back to a cache you've found for prized sig items. Travel bugs it's ok in my book or ordinary trading items if you do make a trade.

I agree with Evergreenhiker! on this. I have done it on occasion to swap TBs if the cache is close to home and I've been holding a TB too long. Also there is a popular bug hotel along a bike path where I like to train on my road bike. I've hit that one several times. I always post a note and list my trades.

I also agree that it is bad form to revisit a cache to remove a prized item. A Moun10Bike coin sat in a cache for two days last year only 4 miles from my house. I was first finder on that cache but resisted the temptation to grab the coin. It didn't seem right to me. Nothing wrong with swapping regular travel bugs though. I would just rather invest my caching time finding new caches as opposed to revisiting old ones.