Ready to get started

Tickridge Photo

I've been reading in the background for about two weeks now and by just reading I'm hooked. So now I need to decide which gps is right for me. The two that I'm looking at is the the Meridian Gold or the Sportrac Pro. I like the Megellan for the fact that they say they "Float". A plus for me. What maybe the pro's, con's of the two. I know the Gold has upgradeablity. I don't want to buy one and out grow it by next year.

Thx's

Brian

I'm afraid the nature of the beast is that no matter what you buy in the computer related field, it's history in short order. When I bought my old Magellan 2000, it was cutting edge at the time.

As for which is better, they're both good, but the one in your hand is best icon_biggrin.gif If you'll be using it primarily as a handheld unit for hiking etc., I'd go with the smaller Sportrak. If you'll be doing more roadwork than trail time I'd go with the larger memory capability of the Meridian.

For what it's worth

Jeff

If you're gona be using it primarily for caching you can't go wrong with the Pro. I have the Map version and love it.

About being able to float, it's a definite plus. What good is it to be waterproof to 3 meters, not be able to float, and you're in 20' of water? Good reason to go with Magellan.

I don't have experience with the Meridian, but it seems as though the only difference besides formfactor is memory. That's good if you want to load a lot of maps into it, but I've heard that the maps are awefully inaccurate.

Probably comes down to preference and what's the best deal you can get.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I have a Magellan gold and haven't had a problem with it. On acoupple of caches after reading the logs,i have found others have had problems with their GPSr keeping lock. The Magellan gold hasn't lost it at all even under heavy trees. Just my humble opinion

Thanks

Altree

(you will not starve with a p38 and a can of food)

I own a Magellan and a Garmin. All of the current models are excellent for geocaching; most of them float. Choose the one that has the features you like and won't break your budget.

In my case, I don't use the mapping features all that much, much I make great use of the compass and barometric altimeter ... so choose the model with features you will most likely use.

Little Yellow E-Trex. It works, and works well. We have one, and even though we have upgraded to something better, we keep it around as a loner to new geocachers.

HOWEVER...

If you are leaning toward the Yellow, I strongly recommend the Venture instead. It has a better display, more memory, and comes with the computer cable, for just a bit more money.

I almost bought a SportTrack for christmas. However, after looking at it closely, I stayed with my Venture. The venture is smaller, simpler to use, operates with one hand, has longer battery life, and has a nicer display. The sport track is reported to have a more sensitive receiver, but there is still discussion on wether that is true, or if the E-Trex just reports loss of signal right away while the magellan tries to fake it for a while hoping to regain lock. DUNNO....

In any case, check out a few, then make your decision. After you get some miles under your belt with it, you can always trade it off for something else. Good luck with your choice.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Love my MG and have had no problems with it. However, it is around $250. The one good thing about it is the expandable SD ram that you can buy for it, and it comes with 8MB of on board memory.

But lately I have read some of the reviews reguarding the new SportTrak. I have not come accross a negative one, and you can get them for as low as $149.00. WOW...It makes me want to get one for the kids. icon_eek.gif

Here is the thread on how to get the Sport Trak for the $149.00 icon_biggrin.gif

Sams / Costco Sport Traks

On the flip side I read another thread and they that discussed how you could get an etrek Legend for a really good price. I think it was $112.00. Anyway, here is the link to that thread.

Etrex Legend for little over $112.

Happy caching.. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

About being able to float, it's a definite plus. What good is it to be waterproof to 3 meters, not be able to float, and you're in 20' of water? Good reason to go with Magellan.

Well, if you foolish enough to be walking around in the field without having the unit in a case, then you probably deserve to lose it. But if it's in the Garmin case, guess what? It floats!

3608_1400.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2300.gif

I have both an ST Pro and the Merigreen(basic Meridian GPS). I guess the biggest difference between them is the size. Both of them can be held and operated with just one hand. Do it all the time. Both are upgradable (were you talking about the mapping?), with the Meridian able to take larger maps IF you spend money on the expandable memory. Both perform well. I do not miss the smaller base map of the Merigreen vs. the Map. Here is an example from our last cache log in wide open sky. Milage varies under canopy for any GPSr. The Meridian GPS can be had for about $130.

Haven't been able to evaluate any Garmins. Perhaps one day I'll get one.

don

The "FLOATABLITY" is for the sake if anything can go wrong it probably will. I am a freelance photographer and float around the local lakes taking pictures. Upgradable is for memory to down load Topo maps. Christmas time I received a book on waterfalls in Arkansas that gave cordinates so memory is needed for a long week in the field of downloaded topo maps. And yes I will plan on attaching it to my body for the just in case it's dropped instantance.

Brian

Both of mine float and are waterproof(tested!) and the STPro's 23 mb of memory holds all of southern California and then some. The topo maps you want to use will have to come from Garmin or Magellan, and can only be used for their own products. No others will work.

Whether you choose Garmin, Magellan, or Brand X, the 'GPS system' will determine how well it seems to work. This is followed closely by operator error/inexperience. Only rarely can the handheld receiver alone be held to blame.

don

I'm a part time fly fishing guide. When I got my Merigreen it went everywhere with me. I had it in my drift boat laid on the seat and the aluminum flexed and "popped" my unit into the river. I was looking around thinking "is someone tossing rocks at us?" My client began stammering and pointing and sure enough there was my green, bobbing with the top 2 inches sticking out of the water. I rowed over and grabbed it, looked it over and went back to fishing. Point to this post is. Waterproof wasn't an issue when I bought it but if I were to buy another, you can bet yer arse it will be.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

quote:
Originally posted by Natureboy1376:

best Buy carries them for 219$ and the cig light cord is 40$ not bad.....

That seem a little bit high for the car adapter. You can get a 3rd party unit for about $25 (see the Wolfe e Series Cig Adapter at GPS City). And the Garmin brand can be found for $35, both over the counter and mail-order.

Also, GPS city has one of the smallest 120v to 12v cig adapters that I've seen. See same link as above.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

rectifies it to 12Vdc, all in a neat little package you can pack easy and take with you. The adapter's 120Vac prongs fold up when not in use and it has a receptical (socket) for the cigar-plug end of the GPSr power cable. Works just like in the car. About $21 at Radio Shack. This is what I use at home when connected to the 'puter. Saves on batteries.

don