Mind If I Rant?!!

woody_k

One of the caches I found quite a few political leaflets in it. The logs don't state who left them in there. I personally don't think caches should be an avenue for someone's political venue. 90 % of all the stuff found in caches are for kids. Us as adults usually just sign the log unless we leave something and/or trade up.

Do these people really think they are going to change our minds on how we are going to vote? Do you really want to subject you children to this drivel?

I realize that this is a free country all I am asking is that you refrain from these political statements in caches. If you need to place political statements in a cache start your own cache and theme it as such.

Thank you all for letting me vent.

Ken

One of the caches I found quite a few political leaflets in it. The logs don't state who left them in there. I personally don't think caches should be an avenue for someone's political venue. 90 % of all the stuff found in caches are for kids. Us as adults usually just sign the log unless we leave something and/or trade up.

Do these people really think they are going to change our minds on how we are going to vote? Do you really want to subject you children to this drivel?

I realize that this is a free country all I am asking is that you refrain from these political statements in caches. If you need to place political statements in a cache start your own cache and theme it as such.

Thank you all for letting me vent.

Ken

Well Done and I agree.

I don't think kids care and if you don't like it, then don't read it.  Some people seem to go out of their way to be offended.

Didn't say I was offended. But 40 leaflets and 10 mctoys!!!

I don't read it I trash the stuff when I see it.

Ken

why do you trash it, its not your cache. you are not the cache police. Who gave you the right to determine what goes in a cache? if its not offensive by site terms then you have no right to throw it away. You CAN notify the owner and let them decide. It is their cache not yours.

I don't think kids care and if you don't like it, then don't read it.  Some people seem to go out of their way to be offended.

Ken

why do you trash it, its not your cache. you are not the cache police. Who gave you the right to determine what goes in a cache? if its not offensive by site terms then you have no right to throw it away. You CAN notify the owner and let them decide. It is their cache not yours.

Are you saying I am not allowed to trade?

I very seldom take anything from a cache and will always leave something and when I do I trade up big time.

The swag left in a cache isn't the owners, the site and the container is. Or am I missing something here.

Ken

I think those people are passionate about their politics, but there is a time and a place for everything (to use a cliche) and geocaching is neither the time nor the place for that c---. We go caching to get away from it all and political flyers are, esentially, and invasion of our entertainment. Geocaching is supposed to be fun and fanciful and get people into the great outdoors (there I go again) and was never intended to be a serious endeavor. Political opinions are best expressed in forums for that purpose or in other discussion groups.

Ken

I very seldom take anything from a cache and will always leave something and when I do I trade up big time.

The swag left in a cache isn't the owners, the site and the container is. Or am I missing something here.

Ken

you didn't say trade, you said trash, are you telling me that for each item(pamphlet) you take out to throw away you leave a separate item??

It seems you dont,

September 12 by woodyk (63 found)

Nice cache and nice area. Found easily from the hint.

Took all the politcial garbage out of the cache and trashed it. Politics need to stay out of the caches.

Left a Beenie Baby Happy Hippo

S/L

Ken

Sounds like you are trading down the cache since you took several items and left only one.

if you dont like it leave it alone. e-mail the cache owner, let them decide its not your cache.

Oh dear God, why is this even an issue?! An invasion of entertainment?! Let's say you had a great hike with a remarkable view. You find the ammo can and inside is a flyer that says Vote for Walt Brown. OH NOOOOO, THIS CACHE HUNT HAS BEEN RUINED ENTIRELY. MY ENTERTAINMENT HAS BEEN...BEEN......INVADED!!!

Ken

Ken

you didn't say trade, you said trash, are you telling me that for each item(pamphlet) you take out to throw away you leave a separate item??

NO. Each leaflet $.10

Woodyk Item $3.00 to $5.00 when trading

When not trading $1.00 to $2.00.

What I do with the item I trade is of no concern to anybody.

Is there a rule that says one for one? I thought it was trade equal value or more. And if wish to chastise me for doing that then chastise all who do not trade equal or up.

I know what the value of the items I have put in my caches and I have seen the items left, but I don't care. I just want it to be a friendly cache which is the original topic of this post.

Ken

It seems you dont,

Took all the politcial garbage out of the cache and trashed it. Politics need to stay out of the caches.

S/L

Ken

Sounds like you are trading down the cache since you took several items and left only one.

if you dont like it leave it alone. e-mail the cache owner, let them decide its not your cache.

Well CO you are wrong. These beenie babies cost a whole lot more than 100 of these leaflets.

But hey don't take my word check all my logs better yet come with me one day.

Ken

It seems you dont,

S/L

Ken

Well CO you are wrong. These beenie babies cost a whole lot more than 100 of these leaflets.

Ken

One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

I'd be PISSED off if you did anything like that to MY cache. It's mine and *I* have the final say in what is and isn't allowed in the cache. If you don't like it, ignore it.

It's mighty hypocritical of you to say 'start your own cache' then treat somebody elses like it's yours. How do you even know who put it in there? The cache owner could have done that.

And oh yea - I don't care if that Beanie Baby you left is a collectors item - in my opinon they're worthless.

southdeltan

It seems you dont,

S/L

Ken

Ken

One mans garbage is another mans treasure.

I'd be PISSED off if you did anything like that to MY cache. It's mine and *I* have the final say in what is and isn't allowed in the cache. If you don't like it, ignore it.

It's mighty hypocritical of you to say 'start your own cache' then treat somebody elses like it's yours. How do you even know who put it in there? The cache owner could have done that.

And oh yea - I don't care if that Beanie Baby you left is a collectors item - in my opinon they're worthless.

southdeltan

Fine than as far as I am concerned my sig card is worth a hundred dollars and will trade it for the entire cache contents. :blink:

My thoughts are that things that promote a political, social or religious agenda are not particularly appropriate to use as trade items. I wish people would not do that. At the same time, I think people tend to feel passionate about such things and some don't stop to think that by placing such items in caches, others might feel like a viewpoint is being forced on them, might be offended, or might simply be disappointed because they hoped to find something like a toy to trade for. In reality, I doubt the placement of an item that promotes an agenda will change any minds on the issue and will more likely annoy some people in a negative fashion that could make them possibly reject the viewpoint. Regardless, it happens and I don't let it bother me. If I find the item iteresting I might take it. If I find it overkill (E.g. 40 political flyers) I might roll my eyes and mention it in my log. But mostly I ignore that stuff and try to add some appropriate trade items.

Oh dear God, why is this even an issue?! An invasion of entertainment?! Let's say you had a great hike with a remarkable view. You find the ammo can and inside is a flyer that says Vote for Walt Brown. OH NOOOOO, THIS CACHE HUNT HAS BEEN RUINED ENTIRELY. MY ENTERTAINMENT HAS BEEN...BEEN......INVADED!!!

Is it OK with you if I don't want some jerk sitting behind me in a movie talking and interupting my entertainment? It isn't that big a deal, but there is no need for your ridicule. My opinion is still right, that stuff should be kept in it's "proper" place.

I'd be PISSED off if you did anything like that to MY cache.  It's mine and *I* have the final say in what is and isn't allowed in the cache.  If you don't like it, ignore it.

It's mighty hypocritical of you to say 'start your own cache' then treat somebody elses like it's yours.  How do you even know who put it in there?  The cache owner could have done that.

southdeltan

What is left in a cache is not the owners. But lets say it is for the sake of an argument, then you as the owner leave it there for trade there by giving the next finder permission to take what they want and do with it what they want.

Granted I agree with the beenie baby thing however it is still worth more than the 6 to 8 political(this time, I have seen more in other caches hence the earlier statement of 40 leaflets) 1 page leaflets which you can get on-line and get 100 for a buck.

And it doesn't matter who put it there, if it's in a cache I found, it's free for the taking.

Ken

Edited by woodyk
What is left in a cache is not the owners.  But lets say it is for the sake of an argument, then you as the owner leave it there for trade there by giving the next finder permission to take what they want and do with it what they want.

Actually - the stuff I leave in the box belongs to me. Anybody that trades an item is leaving 1 item of equal VALUE (not necessarily money value either) in exchange for my item. I know that cache contents naturally degrade - but the used mctoy and the gum wrapper left over after 50 trades belong to me.

And even if, for the sake of arguement, it's not - it's still MY place as the owner to decide what is or is not acceptable in my cache.

Granted I agree with the beenie baby thing however it is still worth more than the 6 to 8 political 1 page leaflets which you can get on-line and get 100 for a buck.

Perhaps to you. It's not always about money. I've (in the few times I have traded) left expensive items for things that I know were INexpensive but were interesting to me

but....

That's really not the point. You don't like that somebody left a political flyer in a cache. You feel that's pushing their beliefs on you. So you, in turn, decide that you'll push your beleif that caches aren't the place for flyers and remove them.

That's hypocrisy.

And it doesn't matter who put it there, if it's in a cache I found, it's free for the taking.

That's good to know. Trade EVENLY. It's not your position to be the cache police. And the ziplock bag's not a trade item (and it's not gonna suffocate a small rodent that may stumble onto the cache) it's to protect the logbook :blink:

I think this all goes back to what BrianSnat said - some people go out of their way to be offended. I've seen the odd religious item and political flyer. I wasn't interested so I left it there for the next cacher to decide if he/she was.

sd

Edited by southdeltan
Maybe all caches should only have logbooks that way this problem will no longer exist. :blink:B):D:):D

Maybe we should just ban the whole sport. Be real. We all know that the sport is about exchange, but geocaching is not for the exchange of ideas, it's about trading objects. After the cache has been found, of course. it's fun and healthy and, in some cases, educational. Let's hash out the political and relegious opinions here in the forums and not in the caches.

It is believed that by leaving political pamphlets in a cache one is pushing their views on to you. So would you go after THIS cache?

Sure, it's still a cache as I would go after a cache that lets say was a political theme only. Would I take all the politcal stuff out? Cuz that's what you are really asking and that answer would be no because of the theme to the cache.

Ken

Edited by woodyk
Maybe all caches should only have logbooks that way this problem will  no longer exist. :blink:  B)  :D  :)  :D

Maybe we should just ban the whole sport. Be real. We all know that the sport is about exchange, but geocaching is not for the exchange of ideas, it's about trading objects. After the cache has been found, of course. it's fun and healthy and, in some cases, educational. Let's hash out the political and relegious opinions here in the forums and not in the caches.

Actually, for most it's not about the exchange of anything, it's about the hunt. And the forums are not the place to hash out our religious or political differences either.

Well I can see a difference of opinion and that's great but I cannot stand aside and let the COAdmin inply that I am a thief.

What I did is within a grey area of the rules. I did not break any rules, CoAdmin did by implying I stole.

I will close this topic so CoAdmin cannot flame anyone anymore. But I am sure he/she can re-open it and more than likely will. You know how mods have to have the last word.