Headlamp

BigToad

I used to have a nice one, with the blue led light - but lost it down an icefishing hole :huh:

I have a backup, which is the plain old Coleman brand, rubber straps, with a regular light bulb. It was cheap, and works fairly well - especially being so cheap.

Not quite as bright as LED, but it does the trick (And also floats, in case it falls into the water:)

I have three, all regular bulbs. No led's. One is a weatherproof "Colman" ( under $20.) and the other two are cheapies, (under $10.) generic types.

As for comparison, leds are 10x's better than regular. I was just out doing a cache at night, with another team that strictly use LED's and there is no compairing the two. It's the difference between day and night! I just can't afford the LED's now after upgrading computers, gpsr's and pda.

If you can afford it, go for the LED's, you'll be amazed at the high quality light it produces. :huh: SF1

(And also floats, in case it falls into the water:)

Oh man could I have used that feature.

I used to have a Princeton Tec Aurora--purchased after much debate and discussion in the forums. I liked that it was waterproof, that it had an adjustable light, and the configuration of its three LEDs.

I didn't like the switch or the fact that it was made from translucent material.

That is, until I got to Chongqing, China.

See, after dinner and a few beers, a few of us decided to take our kayaks to do some urban paddling on the Yangtze River in and around the boatdocks. Near were several dozen people were swimming. It was quite a social event.

We geared up, including our headlamps for the night-time paddle, and got in our boats. We had to duck under wires and nets hanging from under all the planks leading from the shore to the boats.

I was doing good until the last dock. I got myself moving forward, leaned way back, and lifted the wires and net over my head as I slid under. I felt something catch on my forehead and suddenly I had that feeling like I'd just taken my hat off, except I hadn't been wearing a hat.

I turned around just in time to see my headlamp slide off my rear deck into the muddy water. I could see it still lit for a few seconds, but then the waters murkiness obscured it, never to be seen again.

When I returned home, I vowed to purchase another. Maybe even the same model. Before I could do the research, I went on a backpacking trip where I needed a light. A quick trip to [name of store omitted by moderator] and I had a $12 Energizer headlamp with camoflauge band.

It has a 3-position switch. White LEDs - off - Red LED. It's fairly bright and gives a very tight, circular pattern, unlike my Aurora which was more spread out. The light position is adjustable

The things I don't like about this Energizer is the back of the light that rests against your forehead is a piece of foam which isn't flush with the headband, making it press a little harder on your head than everywhere else.

The band adjustment (at least with the size I have it adjusted to) ends up square on the back of my head, which isn't a problem unless I want to use the light while lying down, and then I can feel it.

When this one breaks, I'll probably get another, but for $12 it does a pretty good job.

Jamie

I use an LED model from WalMart. Get the one that uses AAA batteries - they're cheaper, more readily available, last longer, and you can use rechargeables. I work nights all the time, and I now use LEDs for everything. They last longer, the batteries last longer, and they give as much if not more light than incandescents. The reflectors used for night caching show up better in white LED light, too.

I really like LEDs because because the slightly yellow oil in gearbox and transmission sightglasses on helicopters shows up much better in it than in slightly yellow incandescent light. Sometimes, using a regular flashlight, I can't see the oil level at all, but with a white LED it's immediately visible. And I really, really want to know if there is oil in there before I head out over the ocean at 2AM. :lol:

Princeton Tec Yukon HL is the king of headlamps.

check out some reviews by experienced backpackers.

It has two modes:

- 3 regular LEDs give good light for close-up work like reading a map or looking at your GPS. This mode gives very long battery life >100 hrs

- A 1 watt high output LED that can be focused on the trail ahead. You get 25 hours in this mode.

It runs on 3 AA batteries. The battery compartment is in the back to balance the weight on your head.

Princeton Tec Yukon HL is the king of headlamps.

check out some reviews by experienced backpackers.

It has two modes:

- 3 regular LEDs give good light for close-up work like reading a map or looking at your GPS. This mode gives very long battery life >100 hrs

- A 1 watt high output LED that can be focused on the trail ahead. You get 25 hours in this mode.

It runs on 3 AA batteries. The battery compartment is in the back to balance the weight on your head.

The switchback has LED modes and an incandescant mode. The LED's get 300 off of 2 AA batteries, plus there is an optional external battery source.

We use Princeton Tec Scouts -- it's the smallest one they make, not as bright as some other of their models but bright enough for our uses. We got them specifically for their lightness -- just two ounces. It's so light I forget it's there, unlike some bigger ones that I'm constantly aware of if I have them on. We paid $14.99 at some web site or other -- I forget which, but I just checked on Froogle and there are quite a few sites selling them at that price. (Some sites charge as much as $24.99 for them.)

Im a big elk hunter and have bought several Walmart type headlamps that use regular bulb and or LEDs. What I found is that these LED lights weren't bright enough and most had AAA batteries. What I am very happy with is an 4/8 selectable LED headlamp I bought from Cabela's. The brand name is 'Mountain Queen' and is not in all of their catalogs. It uses 4 AA batteries and when only running on 4 LEDs is twice as bright as the Walmart LED headlamps. All my hunting partners that have seen this headlamp in action have bought one.

petzl zoom, its an older model but it works great. I have the regular buld and a halogen one for times when i really need to light things up. it funs on a single 4.5v battery which can get costly, $5 cnd. although the batteries last a rather long time, also have an adapter for it that will take three regular AA batteries. the thing is great, petzl makes some really good units.

petzl zoom, its an older model but it works great. I have the regular buld and a halogen one for times when i really need to light things up. it funs on a single 4.5v battery which can get costly, $5 cnd. although the batteries last a rather long time, also have an adapter for it that will take three regular AA batteries. the thing is great, petzl makes some really good units.

Target has several different headlamps -

Petzl also has several head lamps with belt pack for batteries

I have one that uses 4 D cells. Has 5 LED section and a halogen bulb also.

but cost $65 (or did a year or so ago)

I just bought a INOVA 24/7. I've been looking at one for a while. It says it's the swiss army knife of flashlights.

It is a flat looking device, that can clip to your pocket. It has seven different light modes. From emergency flashers to night vision red LED.

The kit comes with a head band, magnet mount(for emergencies), and several screw on mounts for misc. emergency locations. Like the dash of your vehicle, or the hall way in a black-out.

Red really isn't a very good color for night lights. It's just traditional. The military is now using green mostly, especially in aircraft. The human eye is most sensitive to green light, so you need less of it. I've been using a green LED in the cockpit at night for years, and it's far superior to red. With a red light, you can't see lots of things on a map (anything red, like roads, etc) and LCD displays don't show up well at all. With the extremely narrow band of light transmission colored LEDs emit, they won't hurt your night vision, especially green. The original red lights were only colored covers for incandescent lights, and the real reason they worked was that they filtered out most of the light. Red is obsolete. The headlamp I bought had a red LED in it, and I took it out and replaced it with a green one.

Just some more trivia for the trivia-deprived cachers.

I hate L.ow-light E.mitting D.iode headlamps. Somebody please direct me to an area where I can find a real headlamp to wear for night caching please.

check out Target -

was there over the weekend to get a hydration pack ($30)

saw some nice hiking stix for $20

and several head lamps in the flashlight section

Streamlight with 7 LED's, switchable to 1, 3 or all 7.

I go caving, so light is critical. You used to pay nearly $10 per led bulb, but the 7 I found via eBay and purchased direct from the vendor for a few bucks less.

Another beauty of LED's is the soft edge with light spread across your vision rather than being a focussed spot. Unlike incandescent headlamps, you don't have to turn your head directly at an object for it to be illuminated--wonderful for night caching.

Although my Streamlight uses 3 AAA's, a headlamp with AA's is preferable as you change the batteries less often.

Enjoy,

Randy