Ftf Question?

Gob-ler

Any idea why some folks post their FTF as a log note rather than posting it in the found catagory?

I have notice that several times by different folks. It keeps the log entry from being recorded on the listing page, but they claim the FTF as a note rather than a log entry?

Just wondering?

Duh, dumb move by me, but here is the listing of the one I noticed first:

FTF as a log note

Ah, that's Wheely's thing. He posts all his finds as notes, for exactly the same reason as previously noted about it not becoming a numbers game.

I would think that would make it hard to keep track of which caches you've done and which ones you haven't, but to each his own.

I can't tell you how many times he's beaten me to a FTF though!

ometimes if i'm in a hurry and not ready to write my log yet, i drop it in as a note just so people know i've been there. saves me the trouble of writing a placeholder log, writing the new one, and then deleting the first one.

i go through the whole thing if i have time, but sometimes i'm treally behind on my logginf and people gripe if i don't put a note at least.

ometimes if i'm in a hurry and not ready to write my log yet, i drop it in as a note just so people know i've been there. saves me the trouble of writing a placeholder log, writing the new one, and then deleting the first one.

What you just wrote doesn't make any sense to me. Can you explain what you are doing? Selecting "note" or "found" in the drop down list doesn't take any more time. You can edit the log entry afterwards too if you wanted put something in quick and modify it later.

What you just wrote doesn't make any sense to me. Can you explain what you are doing? Selecting "note" or "found" in the drop down list doesn't take any more time. You can edit the log entry afterwards too if you wanted put something in quick and modify it later.

Yeah what Demp said.

Besides, you don't need to do anything to "save" your place because you can always back date an entry. When multiple people log for the same day it is a crap shoot as to if their logs witll be in the order of their actual visits to the cache. Some times last to find on a particular day is first to log.

1. That guy doesn't post finds, only a note so he can post pictures.

2. He also only goes for a cache if he can be the FTF. Why do I know this?

3. Because I asked him about it on one of my caches he was FTF on and got an earful of insults as a result.

4. Best to leave him be.

1. Mostly true, I would rather upload a photo with a note.

2. Not true, see my photo gallery for some examples and I have found caches and not had any photos to upload. The cache owner has received a notification when I posted a note.

3. Not true. You asked me 2x to change my note to a log, I declined.

4. Do you know how? The last time you made a comment to/about me in a forum you disappeared once I replied. Here is the link

http://www.ny-geocaching.org/modules.php?n...viewtopic&t=127

We have yet to hear a good excuse for posting a note when you found the cache. If you are knocking yourself out to be FTF, you already are competitive. You read all through these forums about how to be a responsible cacher. For example: CITO, exchange fair or up, replace the cache the way you found it, etc. Posting Found when you find the cache goes along with this spirit too. Obviously there isn't any hard set rules on how you can post a find, but there are standards that most of us play by. Also, by posting a note if you are FTF does a disservice to anyone who does a zip code search. Let's say you see a cache listed in the morning and you put the coords into your GPS. After work, you do a quick zip code search of your area and see the new cache has no indication it is found, so you hurry out to be FTF only discover when you get back, someone posted a note on the cache page. Meanwhile, there could have been another cache you could have been FTF to had you gone after it, but instead went to one that was already found.

This subject has come up at Geo events we have gone to and we haven't talked to anyone who doesn't find it annoying. Those who post notes might enjoy hearing that, because all the non-conformists we know enjoy any attention they can get, whether it be positive or negative.

Team Ferret; We have yet to hear a good excuse for posting a note when you found the cache. If you are knocking yourself out to be FTF, you already are competitive.
I am competitive for the FTF and a good photograph to share. I do not know how many finds I have, I do know how many FTFs I have though. I do not take much stock in other cachers totals (yours included) due to the irregularities of posting finds which has been discussed in other threads.
You read all through these forums about how to be a responsible cacher. For example: CITO, exchange fair or up, replace the cache the way you found it, etc.  Posting Found when you find the cache goes along with this spirit too.

I have read the forums and have learned that no matter how well thought out you may think your position is on a topic, there are several other well thought out positions as well and usually there is not a right or wrong way to play this game. One thread I did pay close attention to was the discussion of posting at all. I came away that the spirit of the geo community was to inform the cache owner you found their cache. A note posted on a listing does this.

Obviously there isn't any hard set rules on how you can post a find, but there are standards that most of us play by.
This is an excellent point, few rules that most but not all people follow while maintaining the standards of the spirit of geocaching.
Also, by posting a note if you are FTF does a disservice to anyone who does a zip code search. Let's say you see a cache listed in the morning and you put the coords into your GPS. After work, you do a quick zip code search of your area and see the new cache has no indication it is found, so you hurry out to be FTF only discover when you get back, someone posted a note on the cache page. Meanwhile, there could have been another cache you could have been FTF to had you gone after it, but instead went to one that was already found.

I am not sure if you are referencing a particular cache I found before you or not. Are you? Either way, my travels take me a long way from home, a cache I FTF after work may not get posted until a few hours later. When I can, I utilize libraries and other publicly accessible internet connections to view or change a current cache status. Your system for checking on a new cache is flawed. If you take the time to do a zip search to see if a cache has a found date the only thing you can assume about that cache (or any cache) is that it is listed. It was pointed out to me by a local cacher here that someone may have logged a DNF or a note commenting on a cache issue. IMO for the length of time it takes to click on the listing and scroll to the bottom of the page for current information is time well spent.

This subject has come up at Geo events we have gone to and we haven't talked to anyone who doesn't find it annoying. Those who post notes might enjoy hearing that, because all the non-conformists we know enjoy any attention they can get, whether it be positive or negative.

Look at this thread, only you have a problem with my notes. I have been to geo events too and nobody has complained to me about it and since I started posting notes I have asked a few higher profile cachers for their opinion. All said it did not bother them but some do think it is odd. The fact that I will not conform to the way you play and whether it brings positive or negative attention is controlled entirely by each reader not you.

I looked up your profile and I see that one member of your team is a teacher. I thought one of the tenets of being an educator was fostering a feeling of acceptance and a spirit of diversity within your community.

Wheelygood, you certainly make valid points. I personally do log my finds; otherwise I'd never keep track of which caches I've visited, and it's fun watching my find total climb (only for my own personal satisfaction, though).

I think the pitfall described by Team Ferret that I might race out to be FTF only to discover that someone had posted a FTF "note" is flawed. That assumes you haven't checked the cache page at all--something I never do before racing off to find a cache. And so what if you miss FTF? It's still a find, and if FTF is that important to you, why not read the cache page first?

There are obviously inherent problems in logging a DNF as a find, but I can't see any logical reason that posting a note instead of a find is detrimental to the game. I try to always read the last several logs regardless whether they're smileys or frowns.

A smiley alone won't tell you that the cache isn't damaged or that there is some other reason I shouldn't visit. (i.e., "I found the cache but the property owner told me to get off his land.")

Contrary to Team Ferret, I've NEVER heard a single person complain at a geo-event or in any other arena than these forums about people who post notes instead of finds. I'd much rather see a note than no online log at all.

Everybody has their own rules, and there is very little right or wrong.

Some post a find without actually logging into the cache (there's thecache, p the tree - I'm not climbing it though).

Some post a find without even visiting the cache (yes, I've heard of this).

Some post multiple finds for the same cache (revisited with friends - and hey! I found it again!)

Some post notes.

Do I care? No. Not until they start giving out prizes!