Truly Waterproof Micro Containers

Kit Fox

Hello,

I would like to know if capsules like the "Bison" are truly waterproof. I want to create a cache that requires the container to be fully submerged and need advice on which containers actually work best.

I'm specifically looking for something in the 35mm film role or smaller size range.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bill,

Edited by Kit Fox

Yes. they are watertight, at least when new. (as proven by a certain cache in Phoenix, AZ) Of course, there must be a limit as to how deep it will remain so, and as the neoprene o-ring seal ages, it may begin to leak. Also, accidental damage to the seal isn't out of the question either. Therefore, you might want to locate a few spares so you can fix any problems quickly by replacing the o-ring.

I was looking at doing a similar cache where I am. I bought several containers such as swimmers capsules and bison tubes. They seem pretty water proof and I even put the log in small ziplock bags. My only concern is that I know I will put the lid on properly and tight but I don't know if every person who visits the cache will take the same care I did. I haven't placed mine yet because of this reason. It would only take one person not taking enough care to wreck the cache.

I used a Bison cylinder as an underwater cache and the log was bone dry after a month underwater. I have noticed that the rubber o ring seems to deteriorate after a while though. A bison that I exchanged for a larger container a few weeks ago needs a new gasket.

If you want to be extra certain, just in case someone doesn't tighten the cap enough, use National Geographic Adventure Paper for your log. It won't be ruined even if it gets soaked.

If you want to be extra certain, just in case someone doesn't tighten the cap enough ...

I found a bison tube in June and the lid (a screw on) was not closed all the way ... the paper log inside was so wet it was almost impossible to extract. The bison tubes look nice but they are not idiot proof. :rolleyes:

Too bad you're loking for micro-sized waterproof containers. One of our local (ammo can) caches has been under water for more than three years and is still dry inside.

A suggestion for those O-rings: coat them with petroleum jelly. Not only will they seal more easily, they'll last longer, too.

A suggestion for those O-rings: coat them with petroleum jelly. Not only will they seal more easily, they'll last longer, too.

I'm not sure what the seals are, but if it's natural rubber, you'll likely kill them faster if you put petruleum jelly on them. Go with something like a silicone paste.

I used a Bison cylinder as an underwater cache and the log was bone dry after a month underwater. I have noticed that the rubber o ring seems to deteriorate after a while though. A bison that I exchanged for a larger container a few weeks ago needs a new gasket.

If you want to be extra certain, just in case someone doesn't tighten the cap enough, use National Geographic Adventure Paper for your log. It won't be ruined even if it gets soaked.

Excellent idea!

Too bad you're loking for micro-sized waterproof containers. One of our local (ammo can) caches has been under water for more than three years and is still dry inside.

Was this a regular ammo box, or something slightly different? I prefer to place full size caches whenever possible. Every ammo can I have seen has had a roughed up seal inside and I question their abilty to remain watertight.

Bill,

The number one reason caches get wet is that people don't put the lids on properly. They can't screw lids on correctly, they can't snap tupperware lids on, they can't seal zip lock bags. It's amazing how many container-challenged people there are out there. The number two reason for cache dampness is predator chewing. One solution is to place one waterproof container inside a slightly larger one, then paint "THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN FOOD" on it, for those animals that can read.. Then you get a 50-50 chance of defeating the all thumbs cachers, at least...

I found this container at an Army-Navy surplus store. Its a little larger than a 35mm film canister.

Its designed to be carried by swimmers to keep small personal effects dry. Since its made out of aluminum, it wont corrode. Provided, the cap is screwed down tightly, this thing will keep the contents within dry indefinitely.

790ca0d1-c727-47a4-8bf0-34a8cb5a5e33.jpg

Edited by WH

100% may be a lot to ask. Many manufactured items that are intended for submersion come with a tested depth and duration factor which limits the gaurantee. The most frequent failures that I have experienced, as noted above, have to do with other cachers not sealing the container properly. If you can minimize that factor, you'll have a better chance of success.

PS: I like "Wet Ones!" Let me know how you fare.

Mr Smiles

Another cautionary tale here: There is always the possibility that a screw-top container could be re-sealed by a cacher that doesn't know his/her own strength, rendering it impossible to open by the next finder. The online log might read something like:

"I found your @&%$ Bison tube, but couldn't open it due to the fact that the previous finder must have been the incredible freakin' Hulk! Bashed it between two rocks for 10 minutes, still couldn't open. Sorry about your tube...Next finder: please sign my name in the logbook, should you manage to get it open."

:(