Need Help Choosing Cache Materials

I have a multi-cache that consists of several legs hidden in several different trees in a certain park. Shouldn't be too tough to figure out which one of my caches I'm talking about.

Anyway, the legs started out as strips of copper and other materials screwed into trees, because I thought I tested the materials sufficiently and determined that they would weather the weather.

Well, they haven't weathered too great. Now the cache is archived waiting repairs, and I'm on a hunt to find the perfect outdoor material for this cache.

I need to find a media which I can cut into strips and screw to the top of high branches so they are not visible from the ground. Then I need to know how to etch the coords on the media, or what to write on the media with that won't fade in the weather.

In the alternative, I need another idea for placing the coordinates in the trees. I don't want them to be removable, so the ole' film canister trick isn't for me. And, again, I don't want them visible from the ground.

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome.

Pan

Well, first, if you plan to bring the cache back, you should have just "temporarily disabled" it instead of archiving it. Now you have to get a reviewer to re-list it for you, instead of being able to do it yourself.

Now, on to your question. How were you marking the strips of metal? Just writing on them? Perhaps a set of metal stamps would be better, a stamp isn't going to wear off. If the problem is just oxidation/corrosion, perhaps after stamping them you could use a spray "clear coat" to protect the metal from that.

In the alternative, I need another idea for placing the coordinates in the trees. I don't want them to be removable, so the ole' film canister trick isn't for me. And, again, I don't want them visible from the ground.

I've used Bison cylinders painted the color of the branch and wired to it. Also painted the wire the color of the branch.

I've also found coords printed on National Geographic Adventure Paper last a pretty long time and if you laminate them, even longer.

since i am an arborist i would like to add that if you screw into the tree or attach somthing to it, make sure that you don't screw/ attach it all the way in, leave room so that the tree can grow and when it does it will push the attachted items out with it and not grow around it.

Edited by Rogue_monkey

If you have a Window Replacement Company around, their dumpster will probably have leftover white plastic window caps which you can cut and engrave with your dremel tool, and they accept paint, so you can camoflage them, and use black marker in the engraved part and drill a hole for attaching, and make very small, or very, very large, and they just might last forever.

:o Only a little thicker would be 8th" "underlayment" or plywood for under floor tiles which you can camoglage and engrave...and treat for outdoors.

We can laser plastic tags for you. One of our multis uses them, and after a year, still look good. We used zip ties when we attached to trees, leaving them quite loose. We also sandwiched a blank tag on top of the original so no one could stand on the ground and use binoculars. The cost would be the same as for TB info tags, and we can make them any shape or size.

listen to all of ya, trying to go all fancy and high tech... take an aluminum soda can.. cut the ends off, cut into strips. emboss the coords on it with a pencil or such attatch with whatever you would care to attatch it with. If you want the coords to have a bit more contrast Use a modeling paint pen to fill in the numbers :o

listen to all of ya, trying to go all fancy and high tech... take an aluminum soda can.. cut the ends off, cut into strips. emboss the coords on it with a pencil or such attatch with whatever you would care to attatch it with. If you want the coords to have a bit more contrast Use a modeling paint pen to fill in the numbers :o

I like it.

Would the coordinates last through the weatha'

- Pan

P.S. Thus far the coin-operated dog tag suggestion is in the lead. That seems the easiest... albeit more expensive... choice. Plus it seems like they would last a long time. - P

I have made 5 tags for my multis out of aluminum. I cut small (about 1.5" X 2") pieces from aluminum chassis of discarded electronic devices-- use aluminum as thick or thicker than an aluminum pie pan.

Get 1/4" stamp kit (numbers and letters). All you need is tin snips and a hammer. I camo paint some to match their placement. I have nailed them to wooden posts. One is on a tree branch, attached with a small diameter steel cable around the branch (with slack) and secured with a crimped aluminum ferrule. These should last for years in the weather.

I have also used a large brass washer. The stamps work well on this also. It will tarnish and turn brown. I put a cable through this one (painted the cable brown.)

Edit: To clarify: a stamp kit is a stamping set, which consists of steel stamps, which which you hit with a hammer and they leave a indented letter or number. You can get these at many hardware stores.

Edited by EScout
Ah, I get it now. I kind of skimmed over the embossing part.

Good show, I'll give it a try.

Either that or the dogs tags next time I'm in PetCo buying crickets.

Pan

I've got a set of those dog tags out there and they have held up really well. I do like the soda can idea though and I'll probably give that a shot. But rest assured the dog tags work great.