Complete Newbie Sayin Hello!!

buffalow

Hello all, wife and I are just starting--our GPS arrives the 16th!!,home area will be NW Washington state,USA(north of Seattle)anyway- any sugestions any or all you have are greatly appreciated- thingsa like maps,compasses,onboard GPS units etc.

thnaks alot!!

Buffalow

Welcome Buffalow!!!

I am from the Pac NW, where I got my start in geocaching. The tool the I found most usefull, besides a GPSr of course, was a DeLORME Topographic Atlas & Gazetteer which has GPS grids so that you can get an idea of where you are going. You can also use the grids to look for caches in a specific area. You can get these books at BiMart, Wal Mart, or various other locations, and they will run about $18.

Welcome to the insanity!

The best suggestion that I have is to see if there is a local geocaching club that you can join.

Check the regional part of the forums to see if one is mentioned, or start a thread there asking about one.

It really helps to compare experiences with other cachers. If you have problems finding a specific cache, or just difficulties in general, they can offer advice and guidance.

Enjoy yourself.

Welcome. We're probably close to the same area. We just started about a week ago. I could wait for one to be shipped and ended up with a Magellan Meridian Gold and have been fairly happy. I probably should have bought a Garmin but the Gold offered the most bang for the buck and was a good price ($199 @ Walmart).

We've got (8) under out belts, did two today. Arlington area here.

Mike

Hello all, wife and I are just starting--our GPS arrives the 16th!!

Oh, yes, I did that...started reading the forums before my GPS arrived. By the time it came in the mail I was hopping from foot to foot and howling like a dog.

The best part is, playing with my GPS has been way more fun than I expected. How many toys can you say that about?

Welcome Buffalow!!!

DeLORME Topographic Atlas & Gazetteer which has GPS grids so that you can get an idea of where you are going.  You can get these books at BiMart, Wal Mart, or various other locations, and they will run about $18.

Welcome Buffalow !

Also try Sam's Club - they sell the same book ! Last year I bought mine for $ 9.95, others were charging $14.99 - $19.99. You may also want to check pricegrabber dot com. Happy Trails :o . SF1 - Buffalo as in N.Y. east coast!

Here! Let me paint you a picture!!

Your all happy and excited cause you are getting your GPS and you can start caching. cool! that's ok.

A map program for you GPS. yup! that's cool ,too!!

"WAIT A MINUTE!! I CAN CACHE USING MY PDA AND GO PAPERLESS?????" B)

oh yeah that's way cool!

"BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER FOR POCKET QUERIES THAT DOWNLOAD LICKETY SPLIT INTO YOU PDA AND GPS????? B)

uh huh!! works for me

"HOLD ON!! LOOK AT THAT CACHE OVER THERE!! I BETTER DRIVE TO IT!! I NEED A NEW VEHICLE. ' HONEY CAN I HAVE...'" :o:D

Dude!! it's all over for you!! B)

Welcome

Welcome Buffalow!!!

DeLORME Topographic Atlas & Gazetteer which has GPS grids so that you can get an idea of where you are going.  You can get these books at BiMart, Wal Mart, or various other locations, and they will run about $18.

Also try Sam's Club - they sell the same book ! Last year I bought mine for $ 9.95, others were charging $14.99 - $19.99. You may also want to check pricegrabber dot com. Happy Trails  . SF1 - Buffalo as in N.Y. east coast!

Just as you are wondering, "what's a Bimart," Pac NWsters are wondering, "Who's Sam."