Motercycle Groups

HARLEY HUNTER

Some of the long distance motorcycle rallies (i.e. Iron Butt Rally, the Mason Dixon 20-20) give waypoint information for bonus locations since a lot of the riders have GPSs. This is usually in addition to the address or directions. Still it's not really a geocaching type thing. (although the bonuses are usually like "Virtual Caches") There was one rally out in Nevada that made people bury a dog bone, mark it with their GPSs, then that night they had to go back and find it with the GPS.

I just started Geocaching, so haven't done any hunts while on my Concours yet, but do plan to do so when the weather cools off. The idea of a geocache poker run sounds great. However, the pool of motorcycle riding geocachers is probably a small at this point, and spread thin. (I'm in the Washington, DC area). Still, definitely an entertaining idea!

Louis

You may want to check with you're local chapter of geocaching. There are many

local area groups that put together many events.

NEOgeocaching group here in Cleveland is talking about a poker run now and

is still in the planning stages. I understand another chapter in OH just had one

and will be patterning after them.

May I suggest, no disrespect intended at all, to include all geocachers, not just bikers in your planning. Geocaching is a worldwide group of people that enjoy the sport and there are tons of very interesting cachers that would be very interested in doing this in your area.

seems like there are enough of us geo-bikers to start a threaD AND/or group....antone interesetd?

I looks to me that riding and caching is generally a solitary pursuit for most of us. It is for me anyway, particularly when I'm benchmarking as the family has no interest in it. A thread and/or group may be a benefit to us.

I am curious though: Do we just ride to the caches, or do we hunt for caches to get more rides in? (BTW: 21 July is International Ride to Work Day)

Keep on Caching! (and riding!) - Kewaneh

I am curious though: Do we just ride to the caches, or do we hunt for caches to get more rides in? (BTW: 21 July is International Ride to Work Day)

Keep on Caching! (and riding!) - Kewaneh

Thanks for the reminder. I ride mine to work almost every day, but was planning on driving the truck tomorrow. Will have to leave it parked again, the rain be damned.

By the way, I usually drive to go caching, although I have been known to ride.

I am curious though: Do we just ride to the caches, or do we hunt for caches to get more rides in?  (BTW: 21 July is International Ride to Work Day)

That puts a new twist on the saying. "Ride to Cache, Cache to Ride!"

I need make sure I take the bike to work tomorrow (Ride to Work day). I haven't really ridden to work since my daughter was born, too many baby supplies to pick up, or have to pick her up at the sitter on the way home. Not enough bungee cords to strap her to the bike. <_< I talked about getting a sidecar but my wife made it clear the daughter would not go in or on a sidecar or bike for a few years! :mad:

If there was a group or seperate conversation thread, I'd take part. Here's one question for ya... I noticed on my last cache trip a walking stick would have been nice (had to poke in a few holes in the ground under a fallen tree). I've seen some metal walking sticks that unscrew into parts. Has anyone been able to get something like this to fit into a Givi hardbag? I have the E-50, and two E-460s. No way I'd be able to get my old wooden walking stick from my Boy Scout days in there.

Louis

How interesting! I am a newbie geocacher and also a newbie rider! I just bought a Honda Shadow...but I was also wondering about biking and caching. I need to find other local people (Texas panhandle) that cache too so I can learn more. I hope to read more about this subject!

pam <_<

Hey there! I am somewhat new to caching and ride as well.....I have a Shadow...87 VT1100c.....

I would be interested in conversations on this topic, though I havent cached with my bike yet.....Dont like to leave it alone in strange places too long....Use the GPS alot for riding though...I can just aim the bike and go and use the GPS to get me home.... :mad:

I would love to se a permanent thread or section started related to this. I actually bought my GPS for riding and geocaching was something I found after the fact. Both BD and myself have bikes with GPS and Ham Radios mounted so use them often for GC.

Some may do it more solitary however I do this with one or two others bikers as well as BD.

I wouldn't mind seeing rides and set-ups posted.

You may even want to consider moving this into the General thread.

Edited by baloo&bd
I wouldn't mind seeing rides and set-ups posted.

Here's how my GPS used to be mounted on my Kawasaki Concours. GPS on Connie. I've since replaced the Saeng mount with a RAM, connected to a Touratech mount. And I replaced the III+ with a V, but really, everything looks the same.

I like the Touratech much better as it supports the antenna. With the old Saeng mount, the antenna on the III+ vibrated so much that whatever friction would hold it in place was rubbed away and the antenna would just flop over all the time.

Edited by nighthawk700