Geolog Of The Week

MrGigabyte's DNF log for '...but never coming to a knowledge of the truth'

Had the benefit of caching with a previous cache finder. I cannot tell you who it was, but his initials are "DocMagoo".

Our guide let MrsG and I bushwhack until we were chewed to bits by the local vermin before we swung a deal with him for a clue in exchange for a ride down the mountain.

Hmmm... seems the cache was not where it once was. Oh well, a deal is a deal... enjoy your walk Doc!!! :-)

Took: Serious bug bites

Left: Doc, hogtied in the bush.

MrGigabyte's DNF log for '...but never coming to a knowledge of the truth'

Had the benefit of caching with a previous cache finder. I cannot tell you who it was, but his initials are "DocMagoo".

Our guide let MrsG and I bushwhack until we were chewed to bits by the local vermin before we swung a deal with him for a clue in exchange for a ride down the mountain.

Hmmm... seems the cache was not where it once was. Oh well, a deal is a deal... enjoy your walk Doc!!! :-)

Took: Serious bug bites

Left: Doc, hogtied in the bush.

man, they were "onto me". I was seriously hoping the local wildlife would take care of them so I could escape with their cachecruiser :blink:

After the fact this was funny. A few of the cachers here still kid me about this. I went back a second time and never did find it. Posted a DNF that time

Colorado Wednesday, March 26, 2003

LaPaglia posted a note for Engineer's Tollgate Cache (Traditional Cache)

Best Laid plans, The Gps showed that I Was about 15 feet from the cache, I could even see the hiding place as described in the hint when I collapsed. I was unable to get up (Help I've fallen....) Had the Oxygen up to 6 liters and still was having trouble breathing. So Instead of finding the cache I was found by the paramedics after I called 911 and gave them the GPS Coords of where I was. I spent the next 23 hours in the hospital. This may well be my swan song

"This may well be my swan song" my god that sounds so dramatic!!!!!

(just reread the topic and if you were looking for current logs then this post was off topic and I apologize)

Edited by CO Admin

Not sure if its fair to post one of my own (too much ego ?) but here it is anyway:

Swamp Thing (Traditional Cache)

Ha ! CHAOSS prevailed against your insidious plan to feed that race of mutant mosquitos you hide in the swamp. Despite the nearly impenetrable undergrowth, the deep muck, water surrounded bridge, the now you see-me, now you don't yellow blazes, and the predator drone sized skeeters that regard DEET as spicy b-b-q sauce, we did get to the cache. Even more surprising, we escaped as well. Traded a number of things, but most noteworthy was one-eyed Jack

a Traveling Alien.

To all future visitors: the direct approach is NOT the best one.If you own kevlar body armor, it might buy you time against the insects here. Leave notice for your next of kin.

I'm sure my log on this cache will always be my best ever.

----------------------------

We looked for this one previously before finding out it had disappeared, so decided to give this one another try. Came in off the wrong paved street this time, which ended in a dirt road. Ok, should be no trouble--just gotta do a little off-roading, which should be easy in the truck.

Next time, remind me to think twice. Got the truck axle-deep in loose sand. After several attempts to dig the truck out, finally decided to call the tow truck. So the tow guy shows up. Waited half an hour til he shows up...Nope, can't get the tow truck down the dirt road. Gotta send in the 4X4 truck for this one. Greeeeeaaaaaaaat. [:D]

45 minutes later, the second truck shows up. What? No 4X4 this time either? It's ok, he says...I'll give it a shot in the heavy-duty flatbed. Not fifty feet down the dirt road, he gets stuck. Greeeeeaaaaaaaat. [;)]

So the 4X4 (this is tow truck #3, folks) finally shows up. Has to free tow truck #2 to get to our truck. Pulls tow truck #3 up and throws a line to the front of ours. Not 30 seconds later is tow truck #3 buried up to its axles in the sand. Greeeeeaaaaaaaat. [:D!]

Well, time to bring in tow truck #4. The four-axle, 14-wheel Kenworth superhauler. Backs up onto the dirt road. I think you can guess where this one is going too. Say it with me, folks: Greeeeeaaaaaaaat. [V]

Fortunately, they were able to fashion a series of chain-links and winch all remaining trucks out of the sand. Four tow trucks and three & a half hours later, we were free! [:D] Last week we had to shell out $200 due to a punctured tire...today only cost us $170. This is getting to be quite an expensive hobby! [:D] Oh well, live and learn...Next time, we're just leaving the truck in the driveway and walking! [:D]

So, as if that weren't the worst...We couldn't find the cache! [:D] The location seemed fairly visible to some of the neighborhoods, so let's hope the geomuggles haven't gotten to us and we merely overlooked it due to the frustrations of the afternoon. Will have to try again later. -Andy & Jen

This log is from WAAS up regarding another users ability to be the FTF on almost every cache in the area. Cybercat is the user who places most of the areas caches. Megus is in the army and was thought to be in Iraq or be dead because he had not been on gc.com for a long time. He had just lost his gps. The cache is called the first little piggies house.

How does he do it??? This cache is less than 2 miles from my house, I am on the spot by 8:30am, its rainy day (no way is he going straight into work after finding this cache), and he still gets the first to find? He cannot be using the new cache alert service because it is not working right now.

A couple of weeks ago Cybercat sent me an email about a cache she just got approved in my area and said Bilderback probably could not get it because of work related issues. When I go to look it up, he has already logged it.

At this point, I think we all need to band together and figure out his secret once and for all. To aid our quest "for the truth," I have created these top ten reasons Bilderback is the FTF king:

10. Bilderback has secret cache approver status and is notified of caches after they are posted for approval. He obtained this status by taking 9key south of the boarder to see a "show." Now he has blackmail pictures.

9. Megus speaks to him from beyond the grave.

8. He has bugged Cybercat's PC.

7. He supplies all of Cybercats log books free of charge with his name preprinted on the first page.

6. He has bugged Cybercat's GPS and gets email alerts to his phone when ever she gets within 10 feet of a tree, cliff, or rock.

5. Bilderback is homeless and Cybercat brings him meals daily. While walking in the woods to find him, she usually gets distracted by all the hidey-holes and accidentally leaves his dinner next to the new cache.

4. He is a direct descendant of Miss Cleo and can mentally sign any log book within 25 miles when he has his special plastic pants on.

3. I am Bilderback and WAAS-up and I always sign his name before I sign my own name.

2. Bilderback is actually Cybercat's twin sister in drag.

1. I have been in a comma since falling down the cliff at Trick or Treat and this been a bad dream that plays over and over and over…

Well I did find the cache and signed the wrong date 5/10 not 5/11 just like Bilderback (Ooops, see 10 and 3 above – hummm?).

Her is a good story from a cache I placed with my son.

;)

Note Part 1

So here's the story: I first while following the GPS pulled into the Airport grounds and knowing it wasn't on 'Airport Property' thought it would be on the civilian side of the fence line. I got to where it was showing I was right beside it, but it was still 300+ meters away and my map showed the road ending just up ahead around the corner, so this looked to be as close as I was going to get by car. I thought this 300+ meters to go must be something to do with the crash and maybe with 300 more meters the crash would have been avoided, so out I get and proceed up the embankment to the fence line and proceed to search. It was at this point I noticed the contracted airport security truck pull up in the other compound on the other side of the road and can just imagine his thinking at that point, but I plug on and he leaves 5 min later. 5 minutes after that he pulls up to where I am and rolls down the window while puffing up the chest (NEWS FLASH - Male species postering survives evolution process).

I approach as he tips/slides the sunglasses down his nose and gives a "What are you doing here?"

I proceed to explain the hobby.

"Why would someone hide that here on airport property?"

I proceed to explain that we don't normally hide on private or unauthorized areas, and the hider must have gotten the OK, also that it stated it wasn't on airport property, and was the public road outside their compound/fencing actually their property or public access? I also inquire as to if there is another area 300 meters past the fence as I might be in the wrong area, to which I recieve a blank stare.

"What are you doing here"

I explain.

See above.

Contracted security guard #2 pulls up, and they talk. Security gaurd #1 returns to me, "Why are you here?"

See above.

I look for the pull string coming out of his back.

Note Part 2

I invite them to help me find it, and I will kindly remove it until it's placement can be sorted out. Security #1 helps for 2 minutes until a 3rd security truck arrives, this one is the actual 'Airport Authority' truck, I approach him and give the whole story, he goes "OK, but agrees it is best if it is removed from this area until placement can be resolved." I explain to him about the 300 meter issue and ask if he is aware of any area that might be over there. He looks at me, smiles and says that the road I'm on will take me around the compound and out of the airports property, which ends about 300 meters from where we are standing, on the otherside of the compound. TADA problem solved. I invite the first two security persons to accompany me to see that it is probably not even on their property after all, they decline as they are way to busy working to have time for things like that (3 security...3 trucks...15-20 minutes since 1st arrived...25-30 minutes since 1st truck started watching me...right, way to busy with important airport stuff).

I leave following the GPS and end up parking 7 meters from cache, get out to look for it, 1 minute later I look up and there is a Peel Police vehicle 3 meters away watching me...I notice my eye starting to twitch...as he asks "So what are you doing?" I explain he goes "neat", I relax show him my GPS and invite him to read about the cache. I go back to searching and low and behold I have parked almost on top of it. I bring it over and we both look through it, I signed the log as both of us (the officer and myself)finding it. He read the log and laughed as he drove off leaving me to rehide the cache.

As it turns out this area is the local 'Lovers Lane' and also there is a local strip club in the block that offers more than table dances, and you guessed it, this is one of their service areas.

I would strongly suggest anyone looking for this one do it during the daylight hours so as not to meet the other side of society up close and personal.

Thanks for a great cache and memory.