Cache Puzzles

ayeyen

One I liked a lot -- more "neat" than "hard" -- started at a numbered trail marker in a park. On the back were the next set of coords. Those led to another numbered trail marker. This time, on the back, it said, "The cache is 500 ft northeast of 16 in a group of pines. It is under the brown one". Naturally, everyone goes 500ft from trail marker 16. My main clue that something was amiss was that I saw no pines anywhere in the area. Here is a PDF map of the park Can you find the right area?

The cache is archived now, so I don't mind giving it away. I thought it was very clever, particularly the way it got you thinking "sign markers" with the first two stages. Some others who found it despised it.

Edited by Dinoprophet
This one is new but it has to be a serious contender...

Great-looking site, but I have a question: On something like this do the GC approvers know the "real" coordinates? I mean a 10km circle is pretty big. If someone was trying to place another cache too close (by accident, of course) to the actual coordinates would the approvers be able to alert them the spot is "reserved". I am in Indiana and might look for this sometime!! ;)

This one is new but it has to be a serious contender...

Great-looking site, but I have a question: On something like this do the GC approvers know the "real" coordinates? I mean a 10km circle is pretty big. If someone was trying to place another cache too close (by accident, of course) to the actual coordinates would the approvers be able to alert them the spot is "reserved". I am in Indiana and might look for this sometime!! ;)

sssss, praps we sits here and chats with it a bitsy, my preciousss. it likes riddles, praps it does, does it?

yessss.... always we must to provide details for the reviewer. yess my precious always we must.

I will second the vote for Bletchley Park, it only took us four hours to decode after we figured it out, and then 4300 miles of travel to find the cache and log it. I hate to do shameless self promotion, but I have one that has been up since February that has still not been found:

GCHRTB A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery Inside an Enigma

One person has solved the puzzle but he has not gone to the cache site yet. He claims that it took him over thirty hours to solve it.

Hi,

I'm working on a crypto-puzzle cache that I hope to place in the next week with a $100 bill FTF prize that I will leave for a year (after that, the FTF prize will probably be a $25 gift certificate to EMS or some such). I hope that some of the great minds in geocaching will make the journey up to the Adirondacks to take a crack at it.

nfa

or maybe one that you have to listen to morse code

actually, i was thinking about doing that for planting one at a boy scout camp... because every good boy scout knows how important it is to know the morse code nowadays...

people will love you and hate you for a cache like this. those that hate you will hate you with a smile otn their faces though.

or maybe one that you have to listen to morse code

actually, i was thinking about doing that for planting one at a boy scout camp... because every good boy scout knows how important it is to know the morse code nowadays...

people will love you and hate you for a cache like this. those that hate you will hate you with a smile otn their faces though.

quote-in-quote train! w00t!

uh... i'd say, more or less hate. the entire camp is hill, except for a beautiful reservoir at the bottom for swimming. i mean, i could be nice and put it on the really small level area to park, or... well, at least im used to the place. i worked there as a cit for a year. the hill is nothin for me. hike from the water to the top camp in half an hour flat.

ooh... something i just thought of... bears in the area... maybe the cache is a little more worth it... (*demonic grin)

I will second the vote for Bletchley Park, it only took us four hours to decode after we figured it out, and then 4300 miles of travel to find the cache and log it.

no log, no... no log. mmm.... send us what coordinates its got in its pocketses. yessss, then we will tell if it knows or if its just tricksy.

Edited by my precious

One of my plans that I ditched cause it would be to hard....

Here are three examples to get you on the track:

2+4=6

6+6=14

7+2=11

Than one og the "variables" in the coordinates would be like this...

15 + 26 = AA

Its realy quite easy if you get the right approach.....

(and if you solved it please PM me like Strapped-4-Cache did :( so the puzzle isnt spoiled...)

Ole

Edited by Ole og Susanne

2+4=6

6+6=14

7+2=11

15 + 26 = AA

Ole

The encryted clue would be: orgjrra ovanel naq urk

Ole

2+4=6

6+6=14

7+2=11

15 + 26 = AA

Ole

Hi,

7+5=14

3X6=22

Am I on the right track?

nfa

2+4=6

6+6=14

7+2=11

15 + 26 = AA

Ole

Hi,

7+5=14

3X6=22

Am I on the right track?

nfa

sure are :(

Ole

I wont give up the hints but on this cache, Tejon Mystery Multi you have to find 6 other caches to get the starting coordinates. Then you have decode the morse code into one language, then another language, and finally to english. The translation took me 2 1/2 hours once I figured out what the first language was.

You'll have to learn to speak "pig" to decode this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&decrypt=y&log=

Edited by Kit Fox

There was one cache series in Sydney, Australia that had 26 waypoints (each in a suburb starting with the next letter of the alphabet; took us until about 'E' to notice that!), each with a code or puzzle to solve to reach the next. There was Morse code, signal flags, a radio station to listen to, multiple ciphers, and literary references, as well as some cunningly hidden micros.

None of them were especially difficult, but the sheer volume was impressive!

Unfortunately, many of the waypoints are being compromised and it might not survive.

One of mine you can try at home: this cache is probably a little out of the way for most of you to actually find, but if you think you know the solution, let me know at bearleft@mackereth.net

Local cachers who just went to the coords in the standard manner ended up in a flat, grassed dog exercise area in a park, with no features for 20m. And it's not buried, of course; that'd be against the rules!

I will second the vote for Bletchley Park, it only took us four hours to decode after we figured it out, and then 4300 miles of travel to find the cache and log it.

no log, no... no log. mmm.... send us what coordinates its got in its pocketses. yessss, then we will tell if it knows or if its just tricksy.

My mistake, I saw the name Bletchley Park and did not click on the link. I was mistakenly referring to the Station X geocache GC5FF4, located at Bletchtley Park, UK. It was the focus of our yearly cache trip. FullCT and I take a trip each May for caching. Last year the focus was the Covert Cache at the Safe House in Milwaukee, next year, who knows.

Since I was mistaken, I will have to withdraw my vote for Bletchley Park and vote for Station X. My Riddle Wrapped in an Enigma cache survived the onslaught of cachers during GeoWoodstock, out since February with still no finds.

There's a fairly new one (placed in April 2004) right near my house, called

Hyperbolic Reasoning

Even just reading the description will make your head spin. I've shown it to some of the smartest people I know (programmers, mathematicians) and the overwhelming response is: "good luck, dude."

And here I am, having enough trouble with the nearby 2/1 puzzle cache that is supposedly "easy." :blink:

-mig, aka GoonyGooGoo