Tell where to park?

Enspyer

I am going to hide my first geocache next weekend. My site (I already checked) is not private property but most people don't know it exists and therefore would have to spend a while trying to find a place to park. If I know a parking lot nearby they should use, should I say so as a hint or something? And also, that is a parking lot owned by a local business, so does that matter? Thanks so much and I'm really excited!

<font size="+5" color="garbage" font="broadway">~Enspyer~

I love to have parking coordinates. I hate parking somewhere thinking "I hope no one tows my car". I too am almost ready to place my first cache. Unless it is blatantly obvious where to park, I'll definately give parking coords on the cache page.

BTW, if it is a private business with only a small number of spots, you might need to ask permission. If there is a large number of spots and they have the room, I wouldn't even ask.

Chiro

This falls somewhat into the category of coordinates for trailheads. My belief is the same with this, that I think it's part of the challenge. If there's an issue where someone might be parking on private property, then yes, it would be helpful.

The big question is, how many complaints would be generated if someone was already parking there when you arrived? icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

I put parking coordinates in the hint, but make sure I label them as parking coordinates.

Here's an example:

[parking]40.svir-frira.gjb74 74qbg28.frira43. [cache] Va perivpr nzbat ebpxf. Qrnq fghzc arneol.

If you don't label the coordinates, they are useless, because most geocachers don't decrypt the hint until they're already at the cache site.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I truly appreciate parking coordinates in cache descriptions because I commonly cache in unfamiliar neighborhoods. It makes me a little nuts when finding a parking spot for a low-difficulty cache turns into a major expedition. If you intend the parking to be part of the challenge that's OK, but if you simply want people to enjoy a hike and a hunt then by all means put coordinates for the parking area in the description (NOT the hints!!!).

I've appreciated those caches that have the parking coordinates on them when it's not so obvious. Especially helps out when I'm driving through an area I'm not familiar.

I've started listing parking spots on my caches for the same reason. It would be hard for an out or towner to know all the little surface streets and backroads.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...most geocachers don't decrypt the hint until they're already at the cache site.

BS, mostly I agree with what you say, and if I don't, I usually ignore it anyway icon_razz.gif but this little bit caught my eye.

Of course we can never know for sure, but from reading the forums and many cache logs, I've gotten a strong impression that most cachers decrypt the hint at home before they even print the page.

I started a thread about this topic a long while back.

On that note... I've met a handful of cachers during hunts, or at get-togethers or wherever, and I've yet to encounter anyone besides myself that uses the "printer friendly" cache pages. Whenever I find a cacher with a printout, it has invariably been the (color) printout of the entire cache page. Strange.

Jamie

quote:
Put them on the page, some of us save the hint for the last ditch effort!

I like putting them in the hint (labeled as parking as in my earlier post in this thread). That way people who prefer to have the coordinates can decrypt them ahead of time, or if they get frustrated looking for parking. And those who would rather not have the parking coordinates, don't have to bother decrypting them.

The only time I'll put them in the description is if trespassing might be an issue and I want to make sure people park and access the cache from a legal spot.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I don't see much point in encrypting parking coordinates. Seeing these numbers aren't going to spoil the hunt in any way. Unless you're some sort of geographic rainman, and can see a set of coordinates and know exactly where they are. You pretty much need plot them on a map or punch them into your GPS. Sure, you can compare the numbers to your current location, and get a rough idea of the direction and distance, but that not something that's not going to happen by accident.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I've found coords to be heliful around college campuses, where visitir parking is not always abundant or even availible. This is the case on our campus (where I have a cache hidden): there is one lot for visitors that is not very close to the cache. There are many other lots closeby that are for students/faculty only, though you're more likely to find this out from the friendly people who ticket your car than you are from the signs near the lots.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

On that note... I've met a handful of cachers during hunts, or at get-togethers or wherever, and I've yet to encounter anyone besides myself that uses the "printer friendly" cache pages. Whenever I find a cacher with a printout, it has invariably been the (color) printout of the entire cache page. Strange.

Jamie

And I thought I was the only one who used that feature. Love it- Saves alot of ink! icon_smile.gif

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)