Please Don't Quote Photos.

Sagefox

For us that have slow internet access (o.k. - I know we are in the dark ages) it would help if when you quote posts with photos that you delete the photo reference in the quote before uploading your post. It will make your post cleaner looking and will allow faster loading. After all, you are only being paid per post and not per column inch.

The red matchbox SUV tb tag attachment is a great and humorous idea but do we really need to see it 5 times or more?

Yep, same problem here. I had to stop trying to view the cool snowflakes that AmishHacker was posting awhile back. It took WAY too long to load the page, so I gave up. Some day I'll come out of the Dark Ages and walk into the light, but for now I'll put up with the limitations of dial-up.

A good browser only have to load once the same image file

My PC doesn't seem to know how to do this. I guess it is time to upgrade my Internet Explorer to the latest version. In the meantime though, I (and it sounds like a number of others) would appreciate it if Team Sagefox's request to refrain from unneccesary image quoting is heeded.

My PC doesn't seem to know how to do this. I guess it is time to upgrade my Internet Explorer to the latest version. In the meantime though, I (and it sounds like a number of others) would appreciate it if Team Sagefox's request to refrain from unneccesary image quoting is heeded.

You also might want to try Mozilla. Its just as fast as IE and supposedly safer. I don't have it but a lot of people recomend it. It might be easyer to stay with IE though, so you don't have to memorise the new layout.

You also might want to try Mozilla. Its just as fast as IE and supposedly safer. I don't have it but a lot of people recomend it. It might be easyer to stay with IE though, so you don't have to memorise the new layout.

Mozilla (and it's cousin, FireFox) seriously rocks like Ayers' in Australia! :unsure::huh::(

Using Internet Explorer (compared to using Mozilla) is like hitting yourself in the head repeatedly with a stick and wondering why you keep yelling 'ouch'. :tongue:

I have Mozilla set to zero popups, zero flash ads (you have to download a flash block for that) and man, the result is too cool. You can right-click on an ad and choose "block images from this server" and never see that ad again.

This technique however, still does not stop the ad graphic from downloading your computer to start with, even though Mozilla blocks it. That eats bandwidth. To get faster surfing altogether, you need a cool hacker's trick. You can block your computer from calling to the ad-servers to START with. You can arrange things so that your browser has no idea to send a signal asking for those graphics to download in the first place. Result: faster, more streamlined surfing.

That would be the Hosts file trick. After I got the hang of that cool trick, I started going to town (yay!) by right-clicking on ads, going to "properties" on that graphic, finding out the server that served it, and if it didn't match the URL of the page I was on (since we don't wanna block the page itself) tossed that graphic's url in the Hosts file. One more obnoxious ad bites the dust!

My surfing is getting to be 98% ad-free now, and definitely faster as a result. Why waste time waiting for those darn ad graphics you don't wanna see anyway to download when you are trying to surf for real information? I love it. :unsure:

Since geocaching .com does not do the obnoxious popup thing, or rediculous banner ads, I just suggest you can help speed up your system just a bit. Go to start > run, type in 'cleanmgr' (no quotes) let it take it's time working, then clear out all the temp files in both in your browsing and in your windows temp files. Leave the rest of the checkboxes alone unless you have a reason to do so.

ALSO! Check out BOTH Lavasoft's AdAware program and also Spybot (use google) to see if you have anything obnoxious spyware running without your permission that you can clear out. That speeds things up too.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled geocaching discussion... hopefully soon to be a cleaner, more fun browsing experience. :P

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Yep, you're in the dark ages. OC-3 (that's 155.52 Mbps) connection here. :unsure: AND people ask why I don't ever get around to getting a computer at home. If I'm catchin' a slow down it's almost always on the other end.

I won't do the size matters bit, (It DOES. Stop yer lies.) but the closest thing I can relate it to is motorcycles: I take a test drive on some sweet crotch-rocket and the salesman asks "How was it?" I inevitably say, "Kinda boggy." The salesman comes back all incredulous, "That's an *insert name here* ya know? That's the fastest thing allowed outta the factory this year! What kinda bike do YOU own buddy?!" I point at the V-Max in the parking lot and the salesman says, "OH. Well, nevermind," and walks away. OC-3 is kinda like that.

Sn :tongue::unsure: gans

Edited by Snoogans
Like Divine says, not only images, but logs period. If someone posts a 5 paragraph, don't quote the entire thing, just to respond to one line. Edit out the unnecessary stuff, and just quote the pertinent info.

And if you really have nothing to say, just quote the log without adding anything new. Saves bandwidth, too.