Anyone Ever Used....

M_an_M

I've never heard of anyone using a metal detector before for geocaching, just wondering if anyone has before. I realize this would not work for plastic/tupperware/non-metal containers, but for certain caches that use ammo cans or some other metal container, I suppose a metal detector could make the difference between a find and a DNF.

Also, would anyone consider using a metal detector "cheating" or "not playing in the spirit of geocaching?"

(btw, ive never used a metal detector to geocache, but would be curious to see how much it helped....)

I used a metal detector to search for a missing cache that was suppose to be in a mint tin. I never found it, but using the metal detector in a park attracts much less attention to your searching.

I don't see it as cheating, especially if you could find a missing cache. I have never had another reason to use my metal detector at a cache site... but maybe someday I'll need it again

I used a metal detector once when hiding a cache. The cache was rather large and I had it in a backpack, but the area was somewhat busy. Since walking into the area with just a backpack would look suspicious, I figured a metal detector would draw attention away from the backpack.

No, but I'm itching to get one.

Less to look for caches than to look for cool stuff in the sort of remote places that also have caches. I know someone who found a Roman coin way, way deep in the woods in the Appalachians. Why he thought he'd find anything in a spot that remote is a mystery, but I reckon it must've been some explorer's lucky gold piece.

There's an old dude who I've seen metal detecting under water in the swimming area of a local lake (he looks like Sandy Claus in a wetsuit). Rings and pocket change, I guess.

Alas, there is no geeky hobby that doesn't call my name.

My dad and I made a big mistake two days ago while hiding a new cache and needed to borrow a metal detector. The cache is a small 3x5 container with a small hole in the top of the lid with fishing line tied to it. At the end of the fishing line is a bottle of water used as a weight. The cache was well stocked with lots of small goodies and two travel bugs. We went to place this cache in the I beam of a bridge and the water weight was suppose to act like a safety device and stop the cache from going in the water. Well we went to test everything out and the pressure from the contents in the cache caused the lid to fall off and all the mercandise fell in the small creek. We jumped in the river and trolled the bottom of it for fours looking for both bugs. We were able to find one but the other bug is still in the creek and on my cache page. That would totaly suck if we have to email the owner of the bug and tell them it's lost. So in the next couple of days, I hope we can find the bug with a metal detector.