Forum Terminology

Phone guy

Swag predates ebonics:

swag (v.) - 1530, probably from O.N. sveggja "to swing, sway," cognate with O.E. swingan "to swing" (see swing). The noun sense of "ornamental festoon" is first found 1794. Earlier senses of "bulky bag" (1303) and "big, blustering fellow" (1588) may represent separate borrowings from the Scand. source.

In Australia, swag is a term used for a pack carried on your back. Perhaps the term we know today came from this usage of the word (ie - items carried in a swag bag...simply shortened to swag).

Etymology lesson concluded. We now continue with our normal forums.

ok ok,

I looked it up in Random House. Other than the obvious (A thing you hang on a curtin rod), it is a slang word for plunder or booty.

I just cant get my self to say "did you see the BOOTY that other Cacher had?"...

Well I guess it would depend on the Cacher.

Swag isn't exactly a "made up word", at least in the sense you think. It has been used as a term for free stuff (giveaways) for some time. It's fairly common slang and I first heard it used in this sense about 8 years ago. According to this, it goes back a loooot further:

In British thieves' slang swag was 'a thief's plunder or booty; a quantity of goods unlawfully acquired'. The term appears in Grose's 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, where one of the definitions is 'any quantity of goods'. James Hardy Vaux, who was a convict in Australia, includes the term in the slang dictionary compiled in 1812 and published in his Memoirs in 1819: 'The Swag is a term used in speaking of any booty you have lately obtained'.

In Australia the term swag was transferred from the quantity of goods acquired by a thief to the possessions carried by a traveller in the bush.

I guess the "Jolly swagman" in the Aussie song, Waltzing Matilda is an example of the latter usage.

Checking my Webster's 9th New Collegiate Dictionary, among the definitions of swag are "goods obtained illegally" and "loot". My guessis the meaning has evolved from this usage and the idea that its an acronym for "stuff we all get" is apocryphal and of recent vintage.

Edited by briansnat
oookaaaayy

Well then I am going to make up a few words and see if I can get them to go. What do you think?

That would be akin to "Barnstabling"....... :)

I would of thought that's when you hate the slang everyone uses and then try to make up a new word to replace the old perfectly good one.

As opposed to coming up with a word for soemthing that needs one but doesn't have one...

My son and I use the term "geoloot" for our trade items. I like it better than "swag" since it's geocache-specific

That works for me, but they have different ways in the forums. You'll have a hard time changing terms like swag or gumf, I think those are going to be around for awhile. :lol:

And for those of us that have hit trade shows, SWAG = Stuff We All Get...ie, the marketing type giveaways that you get when you visit booths.

That's where I first heard the word. All that free stuff with company logos on it that gets handed out: kooshes, pens, frisbees, etc.