Older GPS

the8re

I have an older GPS unit. a Magellan 2000. It is limited to two decimals on the coordinates. This seems to me that I have a significant error range when using this device. Am I right?

If so, is it worthwile using this GPS, or should I wait until I have the $$$ to get a new one? (This one was free, so I couldn't beat the price.)

-T

I have read that others have used this model for geocaching. Maybe you should actually search for a cache to see if it gets you there. Or get a friend with a more recent unit to mark a spot and see how close your 2000 gets you. In my little bit of experience, the GPS only gets you to the vicinity. You then have to use your hands and feet and brain to actually find the cache.

We started cacheing with magellan 300 which has the same problem of only 2 decimal places. While it does make it a bit more diffucult its still pretty easy to work around just takes a little work to get around the prob. We found the best way to do is it when you get close use your postion screen that shows your lat/lon. Find the points where the where your reciever changes the last # for the lat then if the third dig is say 5 then use a spot halfway between the 2 points if its 2 or 3 use approx 1/4 of the way north and so on etc using a direct north/south line. Then do the same for your east/west longitude. And remember that each # in the third position is equivelent to appoximately 6 feet.

I started with my GPS 40 from Garmin and it worked great for my first few caches! No problem at all but now it is retired to my truck hooked to an external antenna and still working great! I am using a camo etrex now and love both of them! After a few caches under your belt, you get geoeyes and can find the easier ones a few steps away! just enjoy!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

I managed to get my hands on an older Magellan GPS 300 which reports out to only two decimal places myself. Honestly, I don't see that it is really going to slow me down that much at all. Granted, on my last hunt it would have been nice to have been able to zero in to the third decimal point, but in all honesty, I don't see where not being able to zero in to the third decimal is going to cause me much problem participating in the sport. One thing you must know though is that I have only just started the hobby and have very few attempts under my belt yet. With that said, I may find that tracking out to the third decimal is much more handy. I anticipate though that my GPS will probably serve me well in the sport for many years to come. (Though I'll also admit that I've been drooling over getting the type of GPS with the full color screen and memory card that I can dock with my computer and link to a palm PC and such, but I'm a techno-junkie so I don't think all that is really essential)

One of the points I seem to see alot of here on the forums is that often what is most important is to use a unit that you are comfortable with. Many of the geocachers I've talked to seem to remark a whole lot that when you get close to the cache, rather than looking at the screen, they look at their surrounds and have fun locating the cache by thinking about how and where they would hide it. I kinda like that idea... Anyway, my humble two cents worth. icon_smile.gif Good luck on whatever you decide for your GPS.

Peace and safe caching,

Data Lynx

I have a Magellan 300 and I have been caching a little over a year. I like my GPS and have done almost all of my finds with it. I have a e-trex which I don't quite like but It has It's advantages. The Magellan almost always gets me within 20 feet. I feel that no matter what type of GPS you have you are going to have let your instincts kick in to find it. I have yet to be skunked on a find so my GPS must be doing ok. When It comes right down to It I am cheap! I don't want to spend money on another toy when the one I have right now is fine. If all you use your GPS is for geocaching and your doing fine with the one you have why waste your money?

Don't hunt what you can't kill!

My old Blazer 12 was also a two-decimal unit. I just got a Meridian last week, but my first 60-something finds were with "Ol' Blaze". What I learned from this is that I could still find caches, and did not fall victim to "needle-itis" as much as some. Having that large of a target area forces you to be more observant; footprints, trampled grass, URP's (unusual rock piles), and just plain instinct have to be paid attention. It's not great, but it's not bad having a two digit unit.

My biggest issue was trying to hide caches....now there's where you will run into a problem.

"Could be worse...could be raining"