Happy Happy

Mud Puppy

this is my first post on here. I just was wondering, what are the criteria for gettng a cache on here. I guess its just not placing one and marking it.

What should be my first step on caching one?

Go Here.

After reading, find a place to hide your cache, double-check that it meets the guidelines you've just read, then go here.

Note that you only have 40 minutes or so to fill out the form, so if you are long-winded like I can be sometimes, write up the description first then cut and paste. After submitting your cache, you should receive an e-mail confirmation and see it appear on your copy of My Cache Page.

I'm making plans for my second one. FTF for this one is going to be a bug/snake bite kit that uses a little vacuume syringe to suck the poison out.

We had a meeting earlier this month for the Georgia Geocachers Association (GGA) and had a very informative presentation on snakes from a local expert. This guy has been in the snake business for a very long time, and has a doctorate in his field.

Among other useful information that we learned was that those vacuum syringes for sucking out venom don't work. He demonstrated their use and said the best thing to do if bitten by a venomous snake (how to tell is a different story) is to just go to the nearest hospital. It's really rare that you'll die from one.

We also learned the difference between poison and venom, and that NO snakes are poisonous (several are venomous).

I'm just curious about cactus in BC. Could it be what we call "cockleburs" that stick to your socks and your dogs...little balls of stickies?

We have those too, but we are talking about real cactus, small, but real.

The ones near the cache are a particularily nasty type refered to as Jumping Cactus. Their roots grow along the ground rather than downward, and if you step on the roots it flips the cactus up into your leg. Fortunately the spines are not barbed so they don't do much damage.

Among other useful information that we learned was that those vacuum syringes for sucking out venom don't work. He demonstrated their use and said the best thing to do if bitten by a venomous snake (how to tell is a different story) is to just go to the nearest hospital. It's really rare that you'll die from one.

I've never seen one used on a snake bite, but I've used them on Bee stings and I have no doubt that they work reasonably well. Even if you only get 30% of the venom it's better than nothing, and if you are deep in the woods it might give you the extra time you need to get to the hospital.

Even if you only get 30% of the venom it's better than nothing, and if you are deep in the woods it might give you the extra time you need to get to the hospital.

True. It might make you think you've done something useful and that might calm you down a little which would keep your heart rate lower than if you paniced. That's about the limit of how well it would work (according to the expert at the GGA meeting this month).