First Aid Kits And Other Unanswered Questions

I've been reading some old posts about first aid kits and snake bite kits. One thing I don't seem to understand is moleskin. What is it and how do you use it? I've never even heard of it before.

What are steri-strips?

Also, in reading about snake bite kits, I've found out that the one I have is pretty much useless. I have one made by Coghlans that I bought and threw in my first aid kit without actually looking at it beforehand. I just dug it out and was amazed at how little is actually in there........some blades, an iodine tube and a piece of string. Not sure what I was expecting to be in there but was expecting there to be more to it than that. I read on this page that these types of snake bites kits aren't that effective. Ok..so in reading more, I see that the Sawyer Extraction Pump is the way to go. I am worried about snakes this time of year. With my daughter with me, that worry is ten-fold even though I've taught her the usual about watching where she walks, not reaching into things, etc. I'm going to get one of those Sawyer Extraction Pumps.

Is there anything you can buy to treat poison ivy out in the field? Like right after you find out you just stepped through a big mess of it? I am not allergic but my daughter is. The quicker I can get the oil off of her, the better. What should one do in that situation?

What about spider bites? I've never thought about getting a spider bite while out hiking but its certainly possible. What can you buy to treat a spider bite? Or what do you do, first aid wise, for a spider bite out in the woods?

What's the best remedy for heat exhaustion besides water? Is that what people take salt tablets for?

Sorry for the silly questions but they were just things I was wondering about while reading through the old threads that I didn't find the answers for. Thanks in advance for the comments and answers.

Moleskin is sold in supermarkets and drug stores. It's an adhesive sheet with a felt side that can be cut to shape and placed over "hot spots" on your feet to prevent blisters. They should be used before the blister starts to form.

Steri strips are just small strips of a kind of first aid tape used to close wounds.

Is a snake bite kit necessary? Are poisionous snakes that common in your area? The ones I've seen are a waste of money and space and if there are few poisionous snakes in your region there is no point in bringing one. Just exercising care will go a long way in preventing bites.

There is a product called Ivy Block that is applied like a sunscreen and supposedly creates a barrier between your skin and the urushiol, which is the oil in PI that causes the rash. I've never tried it, but I know a few people who swear by it. Other than that, there is nothing to prevent poision ivy in the field, short of bringing along a portable shower, or washing off in a stream. If you can, get home ASAP and shower, using plenty of soap and cool water (warm water will open your pores and increase the chance of absorbtion of the urushiol).

For spider bites it would be a good idea to have some Benadryl tablets along in case there is an allergic reaction. Benedryl also makes a topical ointment that can releive the itching, but beyond that there is no treatment needed, unless it is a rare poisionous spider, in which case, get ye to a doctor.

Salt tablets are not recommended. You get enough salt in your diet. The way to treat heat exaustion is to cool the victim as soon as possible. Get them out of the sun and into the shade...lay them down and elevate their legs. Get some damp cloth and place around around their neck and face. Slowly give them water, or better yet Gatorade.

Edited by briansnat

Moleskin is something that you put on your skin. It acts sort of like a second skin. Its most common use is to put over blisters. You can also put it on blister prone areas before you get the blisters.

Steri-strips are a wound dressing... it is basicly just tape that can be used to close a wound. They are very strong... which makes them good for outdoor use. They can stay on for weeks.(in fact, you may have trouble getting them off!)

As for snake bite kits... I have never had or used one. I thought about getting one, but then decided against it because they all seem fairly useless... and in actuallity, they can do more harm then good. Do some research on this. I feel that the best protection against snake bites is knowledge: knowing how to avoid snakes, knowing what to do when you encounter a snake, and what to do if you get bitten.

There is a lotion called Ivy Block. You rub it on your skin before you go hiking. It will block resin from poison ivy/oak from reaching your skin. I have never used it though as I don't get the rashes very badly... just washing with cold water and putting aloe on it works fine for me.

I don't know much about spider bites... It is not much of a threat around here. It depends on your location though. I believe that spider bites are a bigger threat in the desert. I have been bitten before, but it was not a big deal... it depends on what kind of spider it is though. Maybe someone else has some info in this.

Heat exhaustion: Salt tablets are used to treat heat related illnesses. This is because when you sweat, your body loses much of its body salt(electrolytes). Recently, people have been finding that maybe salt tablets do more harm then good. You should do your own research on this, and maybe even consult a doctor. Water is the number one remedy and this is another case where knowledge is much more important then anything else. Remember to dress appropriatly and drink enough water. Alot of times, when someone is not getting enough water, they will not even know it. In some cases, people have been found dead from not having enough water... yet they have water in their pack! A good way to tell if you are getting enough water is by the color of your urine. If it is completely clear, you are drinking enough. If it is yellow, then drink a little more. If it is brown, then drink alot more. If you don't urinate at all... then you are in serious trouble!

I hope that I was helpful. Maybe someone else can fill in the gaps and edit my information a bit. Remember that knowledge is 10 times more important then any item in a first aid kit. Read up on first aid, maybe get a book or even take a course. And they are not silly questions... I actually don't think that most people know this stuff... and its good to know!

You've gotten a couple of good answers to your questions.

But let me stress what aPeacefulWarrior said:

Take a course in first aid!

You can contact your local Red Cross or hospital for information on the availability of classes in your area.

You may lose a Saturday afternoon of geocaching, but it would be worth it.

Also, in reading about snake bite kits, I've found out that the one I have is pretty much useless. I have one made by Coghlans that I bought and threw in my first aid kit without actually looking at it beforehand. I just dug it out and was amazed at how little is actually in there........some blades, an iodine tube and a piece of string.

I have both kits which I used to bring with me when I would go caching in snake populated states. Luckily I never needed to use them.

I believe I know the kit you are describing, If I'm right than the string, iodine and blades come with 3 rubberlike tubes, closed on one end. The iodine is basically an antiseptic, the string is a lymph constrictor and the blades are scalpels. The rubber pieces provide suction.

Supposedly the theory is not to cut into the bite area, so while the scalpel is not needed, you can always use it for other things. You basically squeeze the rubber tube and put the open end over the bite. It will draw out the venom. Try it and you will see that they provide fairly good suction. At least it worked pretty good for me on dry skin when I was testing the kit to know what to do. I don't know how well it would work in real conditions where your skin might be wet or other conditions, but I imagine it will work ok.

I also have a Sawyer Extractor which seems to provide better suction, but you need to fit the right attachments on the tip. With the extractor, you can only work on one bite at a time and need the right tip positioned carefully if you want to get 2 punctures at once. That's where having the Coglan kit would be handy to have since the rubber pieces can be used individually over each puncture. Having both kits is probably best.

One thing that is certain, both kits come with instructions, read them. It doesn't matter how much you spend on first aid supplies if you don't know how to use them. You don't want to be reading instructions during an emergency situation.

Regarding water, drink regularly to prevent dehydration. If you drink only when you are thirsty then you are already dehydrated. Satisfying your thirst may not totally hydrate you. Some drinks like Gatorade contain ingrediants to make you more thirsty as you drink them. This is to help insure that you are drinking enough.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut

I normally carry a small first aid kit with hiking bag but back at the car, (or actually in my hiking bag) I carry a small instant cold pack thing. In case of any kind of heat exhaustion just give the person water, and put one or two of these on their face and head...

For "treating" poison ivy, poison oak, etc. in the field, try Tecnu from Oak-N-Ivy.

Unlike Ivy Block (preventative), Tecnu is remedial for use immediately after coming in contact and for minimizing spread after the rash begins. Helps cleanse the oils from the skin before they trigger the reaction.

I had good luck with it the one time I had to use it and keep it around just in case.

latvija

Sounds like I need some moleskin for sure. Never knew it existed. Also sounds like I could get rid of a few things in my first aid kit. I'm trying to lighten my backpack up a little. Thanks for the lessons in the other things. The information will come in handy.

briansnat got it right

-your resident lifeguard

BTW: salt tablets have traditionally used to treat heat related illness because when you sweat you loose electrolites, not just water and if you only replace the water you may end up with a condition known as hyponumtrexia (sp?) which can be worse than dehydration. Now it has been discovered that salt tablets can do EVEN MORE DAMAGE, and that it is best to replace electrolites thru your food and sports dricks

Edited by wildearth2001

Living in rattlesnake country (I encounter 4 or 5 every summer) I always carry the Sawyer Extractor. Fortunately I have not had to use it for snake bites (yet) :blink: , but have used it on bee stings and mosquito bites with excellent results. By simply backing the 'venom" out with suction, it alleviates stings and even itching from mosquitoes. Should work as well on spider bites and I would definitely use it on a snake bite given the opportunity. The kit is small and not very expensive.

Moleskin is sold in supermarkets and drug stores. It's an adhesive sheet with a felt side that can be cut to shape and placed over "hot spots" on your feet to prevent blisters. They should be used before the blister starts to form.

Steri strips are just small strips of a kind of first aid tape used to close wounds.

Is a snake bite kit necessary?  Are poisionous snakes that common in your area?  The ones I've seen are a waste of money and space and if there are few poisionous snakes in your region there is no point in bringing one.  Just exercising care will go a long way in preventing bites.

There is a product called Ivy Block that is applied like a sunscreen and supposedly creates a barrier between your skin and the urushiol, which is the oil in PI that causes the rash.  I've never tried it, but I know a few people who swear by it.  Other than that, there is nothing to prevent  poision ivy in the field, short of bringing along a portable shower, or washing off in a stream.  If you can, get home ASAP and shower, using plenty of soap and cool water (warm water will open your pores and increase the chance of absorbtion of the urushiol).

For spider bites it would be a good idea to have some Benadryl tablets along in case there is an allergic reaction. Benedryl also makes a topical ointment that can releive the itching, but beyond that there is no treatment needed, unless it is a rare poisionous spider, in which case, get ye to a doctor.

Salt tablets are not recommended. You get enough salt in your diet.  The way to treat heat exaustion is to cool the victim as soon as possible. Get them out of the sun and into the shade...lay them down and elevate their legs. Get some damp cloth and place around around their neck and face. Slowly give them water, or better yet Gatorade.

Doc-Dean certified 100% great answer! :blink:

The only thing I have to add is that if you are exposed to poison ivy, so are your clothes and you should change them at once because the oil on your clothes can still re-expose you or someone else. Wash in hot water with soap to decontaminate the clothing. Wear gloves when handling the clothes until they are decontaminated.