How Far Have You Traveled To Hide A Cache?

Alan2

Most of mine are within 10-20 miles but I have some that are outwards of 100 miles or so. One I hid 1200 miles away on vacation. The ones that are 100 miles away have had maintenance, but admitedly it's a pain. :D The 1200 mile cache was plundered. I decided to retire it, well, permenantly. :(

Alan

I placed Manawaipueo Gulch while on vacation. It was placed back in the day when vacation caches were allowed, or at least not disallowed. It has been plundered a couple of times. I get to Maui every year and I have a couple of friends who have replaced it for me when it goes bye bye.

A couple of times I got frowny faces on it and then my buddy goes out to check only to discover it's still there.

I have 4 that are around 200 miles away, however the vast majority of mine are within 10-15 miles from my house as the cow flies.

The 4 (one is a virtual) that are 200 miles away probably get more maintenance than many of my closer ones, because they are near roads on the way to my brother's house and the ski slopes of VT. Most of my closer ones require at least a mile walk.

Edited by briansnat
I have 4 that are around 200 miles away, however the vast majority of mine are within 10-15 miles from my house as the cow flys.

Wow, and here I thought that the cows could only fly in Nebraska.

I saw "Van Helsing" this weekend. Great "flying cow" scene in Romania, which is also outside of Nebraska.

And to answer Alan's question, two of my caches were 60 miles from home. The other 17 were all within 10 miles of home.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot

Most of my caches are within my county. One is in CT with my mainenance go-to person being the one and only Planet, Thanks Planet! One is about a 1 1/2 hour drive upstate NY. That one gets visited about once or twice a month and hasn't needed mainenance yet. We usually make a trip to the area once a year.

Ammo cans=Less maintenance.

800 miles with help in an area I get to about once a year.

250miles where I make it to several times a year.

I've got some closer I'm going to archive and pull because I won't be stopping there on the way to my 250 mile location.

120 miles is another spot I make it to several times a year.

A town 50 miles north I won't place a cache in at all. No urge. 100 miles north though I'll be placing one soon.

Locally I've only got a few.

Being somewhat of a noob here - I thought that geocaching.com frowns on putting a cache out that isn't someplace in your general vicinity so that you can go and maintain it when necessary?

As I understand it, TPTB pretty much allow people to place caches in areas they can demonstrate to be "within their stomping grounds," meaning areas they frequent on a regular basis. (I believe the individual's history of finds is used to determine this.) Caches of the dreaded and much maligned "vacation cache" variety are permitted if a local cacher is enlisted to serve as a surrogate for cache maintenance issues.

Being somewhat of a noob here - I thought that geocaching.com frowns on putting a cache out that isn't someplace in your general vicinity so that you can go and maintain it when necessary?

BP is right. If you show that you frequent an area and will be able to maintain a cache, they will let you place it nearly anywhere. One critera they use is finds. If they see you have a number of finds in an area over a period of time, that's often proof enough that you're able to maintain a cache. This is how I was able to place 3 caches in VT, 200 miles away from my home in NJ.

What they are trying to stop are those who go to somewhere for vacation and drop off a cache, with no intent of ever coming back.