Gps On Plains

nv4life

See This Post in the "Frequently Asked Questions" topic that's pinned at the top of this forum. Then check with your airline. Or, just ask when you board the plane, since ultimately the pilot is the referee.

On my most recent flight, I said this to the flight attendant when I boarded:

"Please confirm for me that the Captain regards GPS receivers as permitted electronic devices for use during flight."

She smiled and said she would check. Later on in the flight, a different flight attendant hollered at me rudely, thinking I was using a cellphone (a prohibited device during flight). The person I asked originally rushed up and chewed him out. "That's a GPS receiver. He asked really nicely and it is OK for him to use it."

I just flew back over the pole from Moscow to Seattle and it was fun playing with My GPS. Top speed was 530 mph and highest we were was 36000 feet.

Wait I was on a plane not a plain... I have had good reception where there are no trees though as well...

Anyway. The plane did not crash and the GPS worked very good.

I was wondering if Topo maps are really necessary on the plains? All kidding aside, one quirk when tracking is that on GPS's such as the Vista, you can only get current altitude readings calculated from the GPS satellite position. You cannot track your altitude since barometric only is saved and the plane's own pressurization is maintained below 5,000 feet.