60cs Bearing Arrow 180 Degrees Out

The last couple of days when caching my bearing arrow is showing the total opposite direction than the cache? As you walk against the arrow, you are getting closer to the cache. ( in meters or feet. )

Any ideas on what's happening ? Is there a option I could check ? :D

Thanks

Are you using the Course Pointer (Horizontal Situation Indicator), or just the regular Bearing Pointer? If using the Course Pointer, change to the Bearing Pointer. I used to use the Course Pointer on my Legend and it would point to the right when my waypoint was actually to the left. Someone told me to use the Bearing Pointer instead, and it worked fine afterwards.

Edited by Neo_Geo

how close to the cache are you when this is happening? if you're quite close (say within 10m) it's possible that either the original cache coordinates were not completely accurate or your 60 may not be accurate due to environmental conditions - limited view of the sky, tree cover etc etc.

also with ecompass turned on your 60cs will be susceptible to metal deposits, etc just like a typical magnetic compass.

set your 60 up so that one of the fields is showing your accuracy at all times - it can be helpful in determining what might be happening in these types of situations.

Since I have updated my cs to the newest firmware I have noticed mine doing that also. I turned the compass off/on and changed bearing pointer to course pointer and it did not help. So I am concerned. Also today with some cloud cover I keep losing satellite reception. The loss of reception even happens when I have my external antenna attached and driving down the road with no tree cover. So I ma somewhat frustrated at this point and may even load the previous firmware back on. If anybody has any other suggestions it would be appreciated.

murph

To the question - how close? as soon as I got out the car it was 1.3 kms away, it was pointing the wrong direction then. The trail marker was the other direction and once I started I notice the distance reducing and I kept going.

Once I got to about 100 meters... it swung to point in the correct direction, but then it was not stable so that I could find the cache.

PS: I handed the unit off to someone else thinking I may have a magnetic issue - same results.

I have had this problem. I described it here (see #2). If you go in and change the icon currently being used for the waypoint, it corrects the problem (try it). I sent the problem description to Garmin. I suggest that you do the same. The more they hear it the sooner they will fix the problem.

Rocket Man

Edited by Rocket Man
The last couple of days when caching my bearing arrow is showing the total opposite direction than the cache? ...Any ideas on what's happening ?

I believe the earth's magnetic poles have flip-flopped. Happens every so often, like each 100,000 to 200,000 yrs!

Mine did this for the first couple weeks. The manual says to calibrate every time you change your batteries, and it would be safe to assume any firmware you do. The solution I came up with: First when I calibrated the unit I layed it down, and this is when my arrow was 180degrees off. So I calibrated it holding it standing up and the problem was solved. I don't know if there was something in the ground where I calibrated it first. I do know that standing worked for me and have never had a problem with it again, and I have replaced the batteries a couple times since with no problem. Don't know if this will help, but it worked for me and the GPSr is right on the money.

The last couple of days when caching my bearing arrow is showing the total opposite direction than the cache? As you walk against the arrow, you are getting closer to the cache. ( in meters or feet. )

Any ideas on what's happening ? Is there a option I could check ? :unsure:

Thanks

Is the compass functioning properly when this is happening? Is north pointing to north like it should?

If your GPSr is telling you the cache is say 212° from your location then the bearing pointer will point to 212° on the compass ring/graphic. If the compass is off then the pointer will still point to 212 but not at the cache.

Olar