Sig Items

Team Thompson

Very new here, getting ready to go out on my first hunt. My question is, when you find a cache that has someone else's sig items in it - are you supposed to leave it for the cache owner or are they OK to take? I get the sense that they are OK to take though I would have thought that people leave them so that the cache owner has a little rememberence of who has found their cache.

Thanks for the info!

There's one cacher in the area that leaves a keychain/thermometer/compass as a sig. item in almost every cache he visits. Another cacher had collected enough of these to start another cache containing only that sig item! You must trade one for another and say what cache you originally got it from.

I'm keeping the one I grabbed though!

Edited by Wacka

I leave a sig item in every cache I visit. But I put it there for others to take or trade if they want to. I know of a few others that do the same and if those items were neve taken, the cache would become too full fast. If it's in there, free game in my opinion. :D

We take them and post that in the online log. This allows the cache owner or the cacher who left the item to contact us. Whenever we remember we try to email the cacher who made the item as well. If the person who left the item wants it returned no problem (hasn't happened yet) and if the cache owner wants it returned ( hasn't happened yet) we would be happy to oblige. You may notice that some of those sig items are collectible among cachers. You should also feel free to create your own. We have done a couple (painted, wooden tiles and plastic dog or cat figurines w/M4S written on them). There is a website that has different signature items on it will post again with link.

My sig item is a keychain, very similar in style to my Avatar. I even write my geocaching name on the item. People still love to take it in trade. One of them even turned into a travel bug. I give them out at events. I love it. Should I break everybody's heart and admit they only cost me about $0.10 each? :P Shhhh...its just our secret. :):)