Which Gps Is Best For The $$

nus_jones

I had a Garin etrex and traded it in for a Sportrak Map from Magellan and purchased the software Topo. Any suggestions on which is the best GPS for the $$. And what is the advantages. Most of the time my Magellan gets me to within 2 to 10 ft. of the cache especially if I let it settle.

:tired:

I recently picked up a Lowrance iFinder Pro and, am absolutely amazed at the performance-for-value this little guy puts out!

It's basemap is pretty good for shorlines/rivers/etc, and the added MMC map chips are quite detailed indeed. And it's able to show these details well an a nice sized hi-res (grayscale) display. It'll hold 1000 waypoints, and it you like to waunder about, it will save up to 10000 points on a plot trail! Other features such as 40 level 'auto-zooming', selective power management, & a nice bright backlight really impressed me too, & would highly recommend it. A weakness to some might be that it isn't waterproof only water resistant. But it dues ship with a custom ziplock bag that does make it waterproof lol.

And,, as a bonus you get to sidestep all the "Garmin vs Magellan" crossfire :tired:

In my opinion, the Meridian Gold is "hands down" the best unit for the money. You get MANY features that are available in the newest units today, and even some that are not. For 200 bucks, with "unlimited" memory, etc. etc. It is extremely hard (if not impossible) to beat the features-for-value of this unit.

The ability to autoroute is great also. You can save tracks in segments, switch between different map files, and load in INSANE amounts of detail maps (depending on your SD card).

Edited by SBPhishy
I had a Garin etrex and traded it in for a Sportrak Map from Magellan and purchased the software Topo. Any suggestions on which is the best GPS for the $$. And what is the advantages. Most of the time my Magellan gets me to within 2 to 10 ft. of the cache especially if I let it settle.

:rolleyes:

Well since you already own the magellan topo it would make sense at least for you that another magellan unit might be the best value.

OK, yeah, HI! New to geocaching and this site. My hubby and I stumbled across a cache by accident and are now hooked! :P after reading this and other threads, I am totally confused as to which GPS would be the best bang for newbies (I have 4 kids so I am looking for ease of use, good to great data usage/input capabilities, price, etc). We also go quading frequently and will also use for that. :D Soooo, any help will be greatly appreciated. We did find a second cache without a GPS device but it was not easy :lol: I do not want to spend more than $250. We are very excited to join this game!! :P

Hey ;) ..We are new to and just bought a etrex legend on e-bay for $162.00.....It should be in my mail soon and I cant wait.... Anyway I borrowed a freinds Legend for a couple hunts and I thought it was prety easy to use, the basics anyway. We didnt try out any of the advanced features but we also have the video that they offer for it and I already watched even though I dont have my gps yet :D and those seem fairly easy to..Etrex's click stick is a nice feature to I think...Anyway check them out on e-bay there are still a bunch left on there, just go to e-bay and search Etrex legend and your ready to bid :D

I am with SB Phishy, I think the Meridian Gold is the best bang for the buck, as far as Magellans go. I only have Magellans so I cant say anything about the Garmins. I just recently bought my Meridian Gold on Ebay brand new for $177.50 with no shipping. Wal Mart has them for $199.99. I would buy up from the Sportrak, because of the crack problems in the face plates. I have sent my Sportrak back twice for this problem. For a little bit more dollar wise you can get a lot more GPS. Good luck.

This is an old Chevy VS Ford question you have asked

I love my MeriGold and the only thing I can add to the other meridian user’s accolades, is that the yahoo user group for the meridians is top notch and very active with lots of good technical (but in easy English) information.

I must be fare here and say that as of this past Saturday I now live in “ a house divided”, Michelle bought a Legend. It was one of the funniest things I have witnessed. She went in the store to buy the $79.00 (yellow) etrex, I already have a “mapping GPS, and with no help from me or the salesperson, she up-sold herself to the Legend. Needless to say, I had FUN the rest of the day using the lines she usually gives me about going after one thing and buying something twice as expensive. (Especially when it comes to electronics) We used both on Sunday, and she actually let me touch her new toy, and I can see how people really like the etrex line.

Back on topic:

You already have Magellan software, so it does make sense to buy a unit that will allow you to continue using that investment. I have found the meridians to be great units that I can grow into, instead of growing out of.