Repostioning The Cach

thcri

How many people here after finding a cach will set your cache waypoint to reposition here. I know that at times my GPS may be as far as 20 feet off the mark but so far I have just left the cordinates alone. How many actually reposition and change the cordinates?

murph

I don't, but here is my logic why:

When placng my caches, I take dozens of readings to be as percise as possible. i really dont want to put that much effort into verifying others coordinates. If they are off (IMHO), I make a note for them to re-calculate. My GPS may be the one that is off. Personally, I take pride in ownership of my caches. If someone thought one of my caches coordinates were off, i'd do my best to fix them.

But that's my 2¢.

It's a rare occurance that the coordinates given for a cache will match up exactly with what your GPS displays. There is a small percentage of error on the GPS that the coordinates were taken from, and likewise with your GPS. Twenty feet is close enough. I do post the coordinates that I have for the location if it's off by about 80 feet or more.

Myself, I have a big problem with someone telling a cache owner his/her/their cache numbers are "off" or "wrong" unless the numbers are way different - something like 40 feet or more I will post what I had but I have a problem with saying the numbers are "wrong".

There are way to many factors involved to say who is "right" and who is "wrong" at any given time. I like This cache to help set things in order. It will give everyone something to base their gpsr on.

Heck, I have a static waypoint for my parking spot at home. I have been anywhere from 3 feet to 116 feet different for the same waypoint and spot.

I left a non waas gpsr hook to the laptop and I had a mapping program running with live tracking. The map showed jumps of several hundred miles at different times with jumps of hundreds of feet and several mile as being common.

logscaler.

Myself, I have a big problem with someone telling a cache owner his/her/their cache numbers are "off" or "wrong" unless the numbers are way different - something like 40 feet or more I will post what I had but I have a problem with saying the numbers are "wrong".

There are way to many factors involved to say who is "right" and who is "wrong" at any given time. I like This cache to help set things in order. It will give everyone something to base their gpsr on.

Heck, I have a static waypoint for my parking spot at home. I have been anywhere from 3 feet to 116 feet different for the same waypoint and spot.

I left a non waas gpsr hook to the laptop and I had a mapping program running with live tracking. The map showed jumps of several hundred miles at different times with jumps of hundreds of feet and several mile as being common.

logscaler.

Thanks for the Cache you linked to. It says alot. I book marked for future reference since this sort of question seems to come up often and answering the question is never easy.

If three or four persons in a row said it was off 50 feet to the east, then I might go out and take a new reading. I do not change the posted coordinates just because someone posts that the original ones are wrong. From my experience, if three of us are out together, one of the GPS units may be off from the others in regard to position.

There is a check box to add your waypoint to the log entry for a cache. I assume it's there for the purpose of comparing accuracy between GPSr's, and I do use it when my readings are significantly off from the readings posted on the cache page. I do factor in the accuracy of the signal at the time that I take the readings when deciding whether or not to post them. So far, it looks like almost no one uses that check box for posting thier coordinates.

I guess what I am really lookin for is do you reposition your own gps for in the future if you ever come back. I am not worried about the owners cache it self as I know there will be variances from one gps to another. Do you just hit reposition here when you find a cache or not?? :wub::D

murph

You mean, on a cache you have already found, 20 feet is not "close enough" to find it again?

Go ahead and reposition if you want, but the next visit you'll probably have to reposition about 50' so you can find it the third time.

20' is a "bullseye". It don't get no better than that. That exceeds the repeatable accuracy of the system (unless perhaps you have a million dollar commercial unit).

After I find a cache I promptly delete the waypoint out of my Garmin altogether! Won't be needing that one any more. At the same time I mark it as found in my pda.

Then when I get home I refer to the pda to log online. I need all the room I can get on my Garmin for new caches that are coming out all the time. I have usally 1000

in the Legend and twice that in the PDA. Of course there are over 3800 caches within 100 miles of me.(94521)

GIVEN: MY GPS is laboratory quality even though it is a close-out from Big Lots.

GIVEN: The hiders GPS is obviously the one in error.

FACT: I found his cache using his obviously wrong coordinates in MY laboratory quality, close-out from Big Lots.

CONCLUSION: You are too stupid to be able to find this cache using the obviously wrong coordinates given by the hider unless you, too, have a laboratory quality GPS, closeout from Big Lots. That is not possible since I purchased the last one. Therefore, I am moving the cache to the correct location based upon the readings of MY laboratory quality, close-out from Big Lots.

RECOMMENDATION: Go geocaching and change the world.

GIVEN: MY GPS is laboratory quality even though it is a close-out from Big Lots.

GIVEN: The hiders GPS is obviously the one in error.

FACT: I found his cache using his obviously wrong coordinates in MY laboratory quality, close-out from Big Lots.

CONCLUSION: You are too stupid to be able to find this cache using the obviously wrong coordinates given by the hider unless you, too, have a laboratory quality GPS, closeout from Big Lots. That is not possible since I purchased the last one. Therefore, I am moving the cache to the correct location based upon the readings of MY laboratory quality, close-out from Big Lots.

RECOMMENDATION: Go geocaching and change the world.

Reckon your laboratory GPS missed this one by a mile.

The thread is about changing the coordinates on the finder's GPSr, not physically moving the cache to the location the finder got.

How many people here after finding a cach will set your cache waypoint to reposition here. I know that at times my GPS may be as far as 20 feet off the mark but so far I have just left the cordinates alone. How many actually reposition and change the cordinates?

murph

Availability and positioning of satellites as well as atmospheric conditions effect the lat/long that pops up on your gpsr screen. I'm sure there are other factors but the numbers are just plain variable. I know people who are convinced that their gpsr is always correct but that is simply not the case.

As was said earlier, within 20 feet IS a bullseye.

I carry 100 foot telescoping pole with me that has a mirror on it. When I hide a cache I put my GPS on the pole with some velcro and I place the mirror above the GPS with the pencil that will go into the cache, for this I use the two sticks of gum I was chewing on the way to the cache site. Now once I have the GPS at about 100 feet above the trees I get my binoculars and read what the coordinates are. Now I enter these into my pocket pc while holding the styles in my teeth., did I mention that the pocket pc is attached to the pole with the brown stuff I stepped in on the way that I hope is mud. The hard part is doing all this with a while I have a base ball glove on my left hand for when the glue on the velcro gives out and I have to catch the GPS as it plumets to earth. An added benifit to this system is that it keeps people who might happen by away from you so it is easy to hide the cache. The draw back is that sometimes you froget to take the gum off the pencil.

There are times when I am not sure how accurate my coordinates are for one of my caches so I do invite cacher comments. I will download their coordinates and use them to try and access the cache. If they turn out to be more accurate then mine I will update my coordinates. I don't take it as an insult. I want the coordinates to be as accurate as possible so they will know that the reason they are not able to find it is because I am really sneaky.

:)