How many DNF's do you have?

Touchstone

With all this talk about DNF's and then finding out the cache is actually missing, how do y'all feel about using SBA as an option?

I've posted 2 SBA's and 3 DNF's (1 resolved, 2 just the other day during a miserable attempt at night-caching - I will be going back during daylight hours to get them!)

With one of the SBA's, it had been missing for at least a month, maybe two with a handful of DNF's logged before we went out to see what havoc we could wreak. Knowing full well the status of the cache, and not really expecting it to be there, my husband and I spent about an hour doing some serious canvassing of the area. After dialogue with the hider, who had no desire to maintain this particular cache or even go see if it still existed (he is local), he told me where the cache should have been (obvious choice), which is a place we thoroughly covered, he decided to archive it.

With the other, there hadn't been any action at the cache for a couple months. I went out and spent, oh, at least an half hour on two different occasions looking for the cache on the fringe of a sports field. This was at the end of a particularly busy season where they'd also come through and trimmed back many of the bushes this cache was supposedly hanging in. I asked a guy who'd been out to the particular cache a couple of times, and knew where it was, if he could go out and either confirm or deny its existence. He also could not find the cache. I left an SBA with a detailed description of my hunt, as well as the other former finders inability to locate said box. It was also archived, later that same day, with a note that the cache had been removed by groundspeople.

Should we post SBA's, or just leave incredibly detailed DNF's?

quote:
Originally posted by CurmudgeonlyGal:

With all this talk about DNF's and then finding out the cache is actually missing, how do y'all feel about using SBA as an option? ... Should we post SBA's, or just leave incredibly detailed DNF's?

I don't think SBA should be used unless one is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the cache is missing and the cache has either been abandoned or the owner refuses to take action. (To me, "absolutely certain" means at least one person who previously found the cache has verified it as missing.)

Many, many times caches thought to be abandoned or missing have been found after a string of DNFs and, in some cases, SBAs.

I've left an SBA for a cache that came up with multiple DNFs in a busy park across the street from me. It was *way* obvious that the sucker was gona-a-roonie. The PTB attempted to contact the cache owner and it sat for awhile, then was archived. In such situations, an SBA says "this problem needs to be dealt with."

I believe I have found every cache that was there. I have been caching since October 24, 2003. I have logged 29 finds and 2 DNF's (I am waiting for comfirmation that the caches are gone) When I did not find the 2 caches I contacted the owners with a full discription of my search and condition of the cache area, then logged a DNF as a "heads-up" for other cachers. After contacting the owner of a third cache I did not find I was informed that the cache had been removed and the owner had forgotten to archive the cache, so he confirmed I searched the correct stump and told me to log it as a find.

Happy Caching!

GEO.JOE

DNF's are part of the fun! I don't know about you, but I **DO** go and re-attempt if I have to post a DNF. However, it doesn't matter to me if people don't always log a DNF. I look at it this way, if I set out to find it, and don't -- it is a DNF.

Bozz

This is definitely an interesting topic. It seems like the big discrepency is whether a DNF is meant to be a note to the cache owner that their cache might be gone, or another form of log for the cacher. I've taken the approach of logging a DNF whenever I manage to get within that 20' circle of insanity and am teased by the jumping 0' indicator! I don't log a DNF when I give up en-route. If you didn't experience the cache site to some degree it doesn't seem like its log-worthy. </.02>