Private Property

Jestre

Hello,

I'm brand new to this (signed up today) and went out in search of my first cache today. After hiking for a bit in search of 'Our Sign' by CarolinaEddie I ended up outside the western boundary of the park with the GPS pointing into someone's back yard. I was (according to the GPS, a Garmin Etrex Legend for the record) less than 55 feet from the waypoint, which would have put me smack dab in the middle of the yard.

Others have found this cache, so I'm wondering if a) I'm doing something wrong, or :unsure: caches are found on private property?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A. Noob

The cache page makes it sound like it is in the park and a cache shouldn't be on private property without permission. If it is in someone's yard, the cache page will usually say that.

My guess is that your GPS was off some today and that the cache is near the edge of the park. It is normal for a GPS to only get you within 20-30 feet of the cache. Add in any variance with the hider's gps and you can see why 55 feet could happen.

So, just try searching in a wider area that is still on public property next time.

Oh! and welcome aboard!!!!! :unsure:

Edited by carleenp

Since it's your first cache, the problem could be in the settings on your GPS receiver. Here's what I posted in another topic today for someone who found their readings to be way off base:

Check to make sure that the datum is set to WGS-84 and not some other datum, such as NAD-27.

Also, make sure that coordinates are being entered in the proper format used on Geocaching.com, of degrees, minutes and decimal minutes, rather than another format such as degrees, minutes and seconds.

Oddly enough, if you check the Mapquest map for this cache, it does look like it's outside the western edge of the park.

However, as Carleen said, the description sounds like it's in the park. The clue veifies that.

If you make another attempt and still can't find the cache, try e-mailing the cache owner or someone who has found the cache for help.

RichardMoore

Thanks to all for the pointers. I intentionally did not look at either the pictures or the 'decrypted' clue for my first time out. Now that I have, I'll head back out there tomorrow and give it another go.

As to the settings, I triple-checked my GPS before and after the search to confirm that it was indeed in WGS84. The waypoints were downloaded from here and uploaded to the unit with the EasyGPS found on this site.

Thanks for the welcome, and I'll be out there tomorrow hunting around.

Just for the record, I returned to this cache site yesterday, and found it! For some reason, the GPS took me right to the correct area (+/- 20 feet). The cache was actually located almost 200 yards from where it took me the day before. No idea how that happened, but at least I found it... and two others B)

Congrats on you finds. As for finding out how to use a magnetic compass do a search for you local orienteering club. Their website may have a good tutorial or you might be able to go to one of their meets and they will give you some good instruction (usually all you have to do is pay the 8-10bucks for the regular entry fee and the intruction is free). Also try finding the pamplet for the boy scout merit badge for orienteering. As an eagle scout, a regularly highly placing competative orienteer, and an orienteering course setter I believe either of these methods will work just fine. And done be afraid of the O-meets usually there are at least 15+ other n00bs at any paticular event and the organizers are always glad to help. Also you might be able to read the owners manula for your compass