60c Battery Spring Problems Springing Up.

I don't have mine yet,it's on it's way, but I see on another forum their haveing problems with the 60C holding rechargeable batterys tight in the compartment so they don't power off with movement. They claim the springs are weak and that the rechargeable are a little shorter. That maybe bending out the springs might help.

I'm not familiar with the problem but I would think that placing a small metal disc in between the battery and spring would be a better option than stretching the spring out. Might void warranty or damage the spring - whatever. By placing a metal disc to take up the difference in length of the rechargeable battery vs alkalines I think you'd be better off.

Just my humble opinion... :rolleyes:

Yes that can be true. I tried that once on a electonic device andit broke the spring. Putting in a shim as much as it's a pain in the butt would be the way to go.

Maybe some rechareables are full length?

If this is true about the 60 series that's too bad. I can't believe they can over look something like that.

And they probablely order a million of those springs from someone and will have to install them until they run out.

Several people have indicated no problem and using only rechargables. I think the problem comes when switching between the two. A larger battery type stretched the space out and then the shorter one is too loose. I had my unit shut off a couple of times when bumped from the bottom. I have alternated between regular and rechargable batteries.

Well guess what? I don't use rechargeables and I am having problems. Mine has shut down about six times now. My batteries seem to be tight but when I open the case one of the batteries is not in place but popped out some. Maybe putting something on the cover to hold batteries in place would help. I had the same problems with my Vista. You would think Garmin with all the problems they have had in the past would have corrected this by now.

murph

Can it be replaced by you or are you going to have to send it in?

I'll let you know. It was one of the bottom springs which is a shunt and not connected to the board. It looks like to it can be easily replaced. Once I get it fixed I think I'll squirt a shot of silicone sealant behind the terminals. It provides a firm yet springy support to battery connectors.

Can it be replaced by you or are you going to have to send it in?

I'll let you know. It was one of the bottom springs which is a shunt and not connected to the board. It looks like to it can be easily replaced. Once I get it fixed I think I'll squirt a shot of silicone sealant behind the terminals. It provides a firm yet springy support to battery connectors.

Got the word from Garmin. Not surprisingly its covered under warranty. All I need to do is part with my week old GPS for 7-10 days (plus shipping = 3weeks) and I'll be fine. B)

BTW: I'm using PowerEX 2200 batteries.

Maybe putting something on the cover to hold batteries in place would help. 

murph

Mine also shuts down when jarred. I put a folded piece of paper in the cover to stabilize the batteries and haven't had a shutdown since. I think it's more a case of the batteries moving than a loose spring - the cover should hold the batteries not the springs.

Maybe putting something on the cover to hold batteries in place would help. 

murph

Mine also shuts down when jarred. I put a folded piece of paper in the cover to stabilize the batteries and haven't had a shutdown since. I think it's more a case of the batteries moving than a loose spring - the cover should hold the batteries not the springs.

I haven't had trouble with it yet. I use MAHA PowerEx 2200's. rechargeable's.

I've used this alot and have dropped it go figure.

Got the word from Garmin. Not surprisingly its covered under warranty. All I need to do is part with my week old GPS for 7-10 days (plus shipping = 3weeks) and I'll be fine.

Just a little hope for you:

I mailed my 60C on Tuesday, the 24th of February and had 'it' back on the 3rd of April. Just 8 days total.

They sent me a new unit.

-=-

michelle