A Truely Amazing Cache...

MarcB

The below cache was placed in Texas on February the 29th. I know this is the UK forum but if you have got a chance, read the logs (from bottom to top).

What Snoogans (the guy who planted it) has set up is simply incredible! The logs are hilarious and in some cases, shocking!

Quantum Leap

Apologies to anyone who finds this too off-topic but it really is a superb read. :rolleyes:

MarcB!

Yeah right!

agreed ...

there are some incredible logs in there - picked up by the army in helicopters for sniffing around George Bush's ranch - giving people flying and diving lessons!

Snoogans if you are reading this and it's all true then you are one of the most generous people i have ever heard of and i salute you!! apologies for ever doubting it!

please, please, please come to England and spread your wealth! :rolleyes:

That HAS to be the best 'wind-up' ever. The tears are still running down my cheeks. All hail to Snoogans.

On a (slightly) more serious note, some months ago I started planning the 'Mother of all Caches' that would take cachers on a 1000+ mile tour of the UK. Then I realised I was wasting my time, because

i) I'd never get it past our illustrious Approvers on the 'holiday cache' thing.

ii) No-one in their right mind would 'do' it

iii) Neither would Seasider :unsure:

Edited by Pharisee
That HAS to be the best 'wind-up' ever. The tears are still running down my cheeks. All hail to Snoogans.

On a (slightly) more serious note, some months ago I started planning the 'Mother of all Caches' that would take cachers on a 1000+ mile tour of the UK. Then I realised I was wasting my time, because

i) I'd never get it past our illustrious Approvers on the 'holiday cache' thing.

ii) No-one in their right mind would 'do' it

iii) Neither would Seasider :unsure:

Could you get local cachers to set and look after their local parts of the mega-cache?

What makes you say it's a wind up? :unsure:

I know it sounds unbelievable but I have seen similar types of cache (though not on that scale)!

Similar caches have been planted by a team (Team GSWF or something like that, they are based in Canada) containing $1000's of equipment and cash! People have even taken pictures of the prizes!

MarcB

What makes you say it's a wind up? :unsure:

I know it sounds unbelievable but I have seen similar types of cache (though not on that scale)!

Similar caches have been planted by a team (Team GSWF or something like that, they are based in Canada) containing $1000's of equipment and cash! People have even taken pictures of the prizes!

MarcB

Oh come on....

Every single team that went for it suffered a catalogue of hilarious disasters. It was straight out of Monty Python!!! Clambering out of pits with broken arms, lying unconsious under cars, fully armed blackhawk helicopters, UFO's, running your 4x4 on home made moonshine, free flying lessons and scuba holidays to say nothing of 'hot wiring' and stealing an air boat. And that's just the bits I remember. Talking about boats.... I do believe another one has just arrived and... yes.... it's full of bananas :lol::(;)

<EDIT> I think the good ol' boys from Texas got together one night (sorry... nite) and the whole thing was created over a few packs of Coors Light.... and a dadgum fine job they made of it, too. I'm still chuckling hours later :lol::P:lol: </EDIT>

Edited by Pharisee

I've done some background research and I'm still pretty confident that it's real (though I stand to be corrected!).

This idea of the cache is that...

1/ Go to the listed co-ordinates (the "dead drop") which contain the co-ordinates to Snoogans underground bunker

2/ In the bunker there is a filing cabinet with at least 40 envelopes in, with geocachers names on them. There are also a number of generic envelopes for new cachers or ones from out of the area.

3/ Inside the personal envelopes are instructions for the geocacher to get to their own cache Snoogan has placed, allowing him to personalise the adventure for everyone. The generic caches are the same but not personalised.

4/ Only when they cacher has found the cache their envelope directs them to can they log a find on the Quantum Leap page. Hence loads of notes telling the story so far.

An extra bit of info can be found here...

http://www.texasgeocaching.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1348

If it is a joke cache it really shouldn't have been published and it's a bit sad that 72 extensive logs have been written for it. If it is a trick, who is it meant for?

MarcB

Edited by MarcB

MarcB

Yep, the Canadian version is true! The team name is KFWB (although they are now known as X-Treme GPS Team). I'm one of the cachers who has been on one of these caches. $1000 is the lowest prize. There is a cache going on right now called Aircraft Wreck 3. It involves going from Victoria, BC down to California and beyond in a search for an aircraft wreck. Prize is $5000. You can read the logs on waypoint GCHK71.

I had a blast reading about Snoogans cache. Just a few problems though. I can't see the blackhawk interception happening without CNN being involved. Having been a big fan of Hogans Heroes, I can see where the hinged stump came from. However, the logs about the bunker do not correspond with the picture of the bunker (ie stairs) All this aside, it was the best reading I have seen on any cache!! Two thumbs up. No kidding, someone should call George Lucas. This would make a fantastic movie. B) Now I'm just curious as to what the real cache involves. I'm sure the explicit instructions involve the required scripting of the log.

(edited after realizing the joke)

Edited by GroundClutter