Any Alternatives To Topo! Software?

cstork

I don't like the Topo! Software I have, which is made by National Geographic.

Are there any alternatives that let you plot GPS waypoints and routes on maps?

The things I don't like about Topo are:

1) Difficult to use software--just not well thought out. It's hard/impossible to do some basic functionality you expect

2) Significant additional money for each state

3) Isn't compatible with *.loc or *.gpx formats

4) Crashes a fair bit.

Thanks.

I don't like the Topo! Software I have, which is made by National Geographic. 

Are there any alternatives that let you plot GPS waypoints and routes on maps?

1)  Difficult to use software--just not well thought out.  It's hard/impossible to do some basic functionality you expect

2)  Significant additional money for each state

3)  Isn't compatible with *.loc or *.gpx formats

4)  Crashes a fair bit.

Thanks.

I have been using NG Topo for many years, I like it. I do not find It hard to use. I find the magellan product a little harder for me but that could be because I have use NG a lot longer. Keep in mind that the NG product is the same as the topo map you would buy from the USGS. In some USGS offices they now use the NG topo software to print maps. There are other topo softwares on the market, but most of them are not USGS maps. As far as the cost, whne they first came out they were $200.00, so the price has come down quite a bit.

As far as crashing, this is not a problem I have had that often, Most all my programs have crashed from time to time. I think this may be more of a problem with the OS

over the years I have used NG Topo, Magellan map send Topo, Garmin topo, Delorme Topo and a few others, I was the software buyer for an outdoors equipment store for several years, I got lots of free samples to try. I still like the NG product above all others. Have you called the NG tech support?

My second choice in Topo is Magellan. Has a few more features than Garmin.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The next logical choice would be the propriertary software for your GPS. Magellan Mapsend Topo if you have a Maggie and for your Garmin, Mapsource Topo. While neither is perfect (I personally find NG Topo to be far better), they will work with loc files and have the added benefit of being downloadable to your GPS.

There is also DeLorme, which I've never used, but most people I know who have, feel NG Topo is a much better product. Personally, I haven't had the crashing problems with NG Topo that you've encountered. Maybe its something with your PC?

Edited by briansnat

Cstork why don't you come to the Cache Event on March 20th. and I could answer a lot of questions on TOPO. I've used both the new version and old version for about 5 hiking seasons. Its very handy in my land navigation course, and very useful for preplanning then planting caches.

As to "Isn't compatible with *.loc or *.gpx formats" hell I don't even know what those mean, I just make maps and go for it. TOPO can be helpful when you want to look for caches, I'll make a waypoint on the map then upload it to the GPS and I have the information about the cache on a map and in the GPS.

The only draw back is the same drawback that all mapping programs have, and this one really makes people wonder. All the maps are based on the USGS maps and revisions were done awhile back so most of the time the map will not tell you what is exactly there, some things have been added and some deleted. Users will look at a jeep trail and think a trail is there, well this isn't always the case. But TOPO maps can be made to conform to WGS 84, while the maps off the shelf are at NAD 27. You can put UTM grids at 500 meters instead of the standard 1000 meters. Change your scale so it can be close to orienteering maps, And there is even a way to put in the old fashioned declination lines so your compass and map are like Apple Pie and Cheddar Cheese. :)

1) Difficult to use software--just not well thought out. It's hard/impossible to do some basic functionality you expect

2) Significant additional money for each state

3) Isn't compatible with *.loc or *.gpx formats

4) Crashes a fair bit.

1. Difficult how? What things are you trying to do with it that you cannot do?

2. I agree totally about this one.

3. Get GPSBabel - it will convert the .loc or .gpx file to a .tpg (I think that's the topo format, if it's not - it will convert it to whatever it's called).

4. I've never had topo crash. I'll bet that it's something to do with your computer. It could be the OS or a lack of RAM. (Graphical based programs tend to use lots of memory).

I agree with what the others have said - the mapping software that your GPSr's manufacturer makes may be more helpful to you. :)

southdeltan

Try the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. Great program. It will export GPX files to National Geographic Topo. It will also convert the waypoint name into a smart name. If that does not work then spend ten dollars and download Quake Map. Quake Map is packed with features desinged to meet the needs of Geocachers. I use quake map to generate two sided maps (aireal photo, topo) as trade items. I promise you will not regret it. It will also handle LOC files. Color code your track points according to elevation. Multiple map scales. Great program.

Nuwati

www.expertgps.com Expertgps is THE program to get. NOt only do you get topos and air photos for the whole USA, but they have the BEST Waypoint, Track and ROute management software there is. Also, the INVENTED .LOC and they had a big part to do with GPX files too. It handles them just fine. Their demo is fully functional for 30 days, and to buy is only $60.

I don't work for them, I'm just a VERY satisfied customer

jjb