Dnf Record

Anyone know what the record would be for DNF for a cache that's known to be there? We have a series of caches in the area that are deffinately 5 star difficulty. The Little Nasty series. Little Nasty 4 was just approved March 4 and now has 7 DNF logs without the first find. There's probably 20 hours of searching involved in those 7 DNFs.

Anyone know of any other real difficult caches that have a lot of DNFs before being found for the first time?

F_M

I have one with 13 DNF's, but I know there are more. Several finders made multiple failed attempts, but only logged one DNF, so it really has closer to 20 trips that ended in DNF's. And those are ones I know of.

And there is this one which has only been out a few months and has 9 DNF's recorded. But I know every finder made at least one failed attempt before making the find, which would bring the total to 13 DNF had they been logged. That's pretty stiff for a cache that has been out just over 2 months. The owner has since added the hint he gave me to his cache page, which makes it a lot easier, so I'm sure the DNF's will slow down.

Edited by briansnat

My new cache Compass Course 101 has the local cachers going pretty nuts. Like briansnat's I know there where several attempts that were not logged. I didn't think this would be that hard it started out at 3.5 stars then I raised it to 4 stars. I am contemplating adding hints because it seems some are getting frustrated but that is part of the game they can't all be walk ups. Would you guys add hints? Maybe I should leave the hints out and raise it to 5 stars.

You can leave out the hints and tell the seekers that you will give them additional hints via e-mail after their 2nd or 3rd LOGGED DNF.

I like the idea about 2 or 3 logged DNFs. I did mention in the cache page that if anyone was really stuck I would email them a hint.

It still stands at 7 DNFs and nobody has found it yet. There's probably a couple people looking for it right now, even though it's raining. I'll try for it tomorrow. I wasn't going to look for a while, but my wife wants to find it. I think she just wants the $20 bill FTF prize.

I'm actually looking for the most DNFs before the first find. A previous Little Nasty cache, one cacher puting approximately 40 hours looking for it. And since that's a husband/wife team, that's 80 (wo)man hours. These Little Nasty caches are something else.

I found the first 3, but only with additional hints. Nothing to blatantly give it away, but things like reminders of previous caches or you might want to take another reading on this one. Extremely tough.

F_M

Anyone know what the record would be for DNF for a cache that's known to be there? We have a series of caches in the area that are deffinately 5 star difficulty. The Little Nasty series. Little Nasty 4 was just approved March 4 and now has 7 DNF logs without the first find. There's probably 20 hours of searching involved in those 7 DNFs.

Anyone know of any other real difficult caches that have a lot of DNFs before being found for the first time?

F_M

I attempted this one and I think I was #8 DNF. It was one of the Project Ape caches promotional series for the Planet of the Apes movie.

I'm thoroughly convinced that the hiders transposed some numbers when they were hiding it, yet never bothered to check to see if their numbers were correct when they went back to see if it was there. Yeah, it was there, but they didn't then re-check the numbers. The original coordinates has us all climbing a crumbly rock face that was putting life and limb in peril.