A Download Question About The New Garmin 60c

I have a 60CS on order. I expect it to arrive just before we depart to the Midwest Invitational Geocache Meet in March.

I an not clear about the downloads but would like to be ready so my questions are.

I think the maps are downloaded via usb port. Are the waypoints also downloaded via usb or do you use the com port? If the usb is used for waypoints what program is used? Thanks for your help.

While you can use USB to upload and download waypoints using MapSource, you are committed to entering data manually using USB.

Since you will be using it for the "Midwest Invitational Geocache Meet in March", you will probably be dealing with .loc files from geocaching.com.

MapSource cannot handle .loc files, so there are a couple of options available:

1. Get an RS-232 serial cable (with the round connector like the GPS-Vs) and use "EasyGPS" for the uploads.

2. Use the "EasyMPS" program to convert the .loc files to Garmin's .mps format and then upload via USB.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time!!! :ph34r:

Or of course, you could get the converter from Radio Shack, d/l GSAK and just drag the .gpx file to the icon on your desktop and then send them to your new baby. That is what I have been doing and it works great. BTW a fantastic program to use...

Is the cable the converter you are referring to? I already use GSAK to d/l .gpx files to GarminIII now. I just did not realize it would talk thru the usb port.

Or of course, you could get the converter from Radio Shack, d/l GSAK and just drag the .gpx file to the icon on your desktop and then send them to your new baby. That is what I have been doing and it works great. BTW a fantastic program to use...

I already use GSAK to d/l .gpx files to GarminIII now.

If you currently have a Garmin III, you can use your existing data cable with the 60CS and download to it exactly as you do to the III thru the serial port. I think a lot of people will be doing that until many of the utilities become USB capable.

Brian

GSAK wont. EasyMPS will in conjunction with mapsource. In fact if you want you can filter on GSAK, save as a gpx, and use easyMPS/Mapsource to upload. Why buy a serial cable?!?

If going down this path it doesn't need to be that convoluted. Just export directly to MapSource from GSAK :)