Transporting Gps Unit On Plane Question

sumpter1

I just recently purchased my first GPS unit and I want to take it on a trip. What is the best way to take it on the plane? Can it be damaged by the security equipment at the airport? The last trip I packed 2 FRS radio's in a checked bag and it was searched. Will I be allowed to take it on the plane? I think I will pose these same questions to the airline.

Someone will markwell you as this comes up often.

Bring it on the plane in your carry-on luggage.

Check the rules for that particular airline in the back of their catalog in the pocket of the seat back in front of you.

Don't ask. Give it a try (you'll need a window seat). If they don't want you to use it, they'll tell you.

Don't turn it on before cruise when all the other electronic devices are allowed.

If they tell you not to use it, don't - and don't argue. You will not get in any trouble if you turn it off when they tell you.

If you ask (some nitwit here will tell you that you should) they may say "no" simply because they aren't sure.

EDIT: Add

Many airlines allow the use of handheld GPS.

Edited by Criminal

Before someone gets rude, and jumps down your throat. You can use the search feature at the top of the forum pages to see if you question/topic has already been covered. The tricky part to this is knowing the correct word or word-string to produce the correct response. In this case if you do a search for “GPS on airplanes” you should get a decent return.

I bring it on in my carry on bag and have never had a problem. After they say its ok to use devices I turn it on, set it in my coat thats bunched up by the window, and connect it to my laptop with the cable. that way I can look at the map program that is on my laptop and see much more detail. I have never had a problem since the GPSr is never in sight. I sometimes tell people around me when we cross into a new state. Its a blast and keeps me entertained for the whole trip to Oregon from Chicago.

Yak Man

If you are challenged just be sure to tell them that it is a completely passive device - does not transmit, receives only.

Rules broken:

1 Don't try to explain or argue. Just do as they ask. The person you tell this to does not understand electronics and neither do you, which leads to the second rule.

2. Don't spread OWTs (Old Wives Tales). There is no such thing as a "passive" electronic device. This is especially true of "receivers". That's why they make you turn off all electronic devices below 10,000 feet.

I just recently purchased my first GPS unit and I want to take it on a trip.  What is the best way to take it on the plane?  Can it be damaged by the security equipment at the airport?  The last trip I packed 2 FRS radio's in a checked bag and it was searched.  Will I be allowed to take it on the plane?  I think I will pose these same questions to the airline.

DON'T take out the batteries. Leave them in and have them charged. They may want you to turn it on and show that it actually functions. They may wish to x-ray it as well. Believe it or not, there are now guns that appear to be cell phones, and some airports are asking owners of any handheld device to show that it's actually operational.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Thanks for all the responses and the links to the other threads.

The unit I want to take is a Garmin Rino 120 GPS/FRS/GMRS. I also reviewed the Transportation Safety Administrations web site. They do not mention GPS units or FRS/GMRS radios as a prohibited or permitted item. So I emailed them the question and gave them the model info and a link to Garmin. All I got back was a generic answer ... the bottom line is that it is up to the security screener.

I guess I will find out at the security check point! Boy, my wife will be po'd if we miss the flight over this.

The unit I want to take is a Garmin Rino 120  GPS/FRS/GMRS.  I also reviewed the Transportation Safety Administrations web site.  They do not mention GPS units or FRS/GMRS radios as a prohibited or permitted item.

Ok, this is going to be a problem!!!!. The Rino is also a transmitting device (designed to transmit over a significant distance) and that is strictly a no no on commercial flights. I've seen some say that if you can turn off the radio part it is ok, but I would think that is a no no still.

If I recall correctly, on Southwest (in their magazine) it specifically mentions that a regular GPSr is ok, but a Rino type is not.

Hope that helps

edited to add: oh yeah, no problems at the check points, I just put it in my carryon back pack with the digital camera and no on said a word, no searches. The only issue that might be a problem is usage on the plane itself.

Edited by VectorJoe

FYI, I had no problem using the Rino 120 on 4 US Airway's flights. I used it in full view of everyone - had to keep the unit close to the window to maintain signal. I kept the radio off and only used the GPS at 10,000 ft or higher. It was a lot of fun and helped pass the time. I also used it on St. Maarten to find my first cache and also to keep track of where I was.

DON'T take out the batteries. Leave them in and have them charged. They may want you to turn it on and show that it actually functions. They may wish to x-ray it as well. Believe it or not, there are now guns that appear to be cell phones, and some airports are asking owners of any handheld device to show that it's actually operational.

WOW! Those cellphone guns are baaaad!! I gotta get one of those! Way cool!