Enough With The Micros!!

MrPepper

Unless you want to go the extra route of downloading pq's, you don't have a filtering choice.

1) Build a PQ.

1a) While building tha PQ, instead of clicking on "Any container", pick your choices of the following: Other (see description), Large, Micro, Virtual, Regular, Unknown

1b) Don't select any days to run the PQ.

2) Click "Run the search"

There. No micros. No external software, no PQs being e-mailed.

next?

:P Getting really tired of all the Micro Cache's out there. I have placed 4 traditonal cache and they are a lot more work finding places to put them then micro's, but well worth the hunt. The main reason for regular sized cache's is so the children and the kids in all the adults can get a prize for their find. Just my 2 cents. Peace.

Pepper

Micros have their place. I just hid two micros around my area because there isn't any place to hide a traditional cache safely. Once you get out of town that's another story. I feel that you should place micros whenever a traditional can't be placed. Now thanks to micros a new cacher or even a seasoned vet will have two more cachers in our area that weren't there yesterday. Some people can't or don't want to travel an hour to cache so micros have their place. The two I just hid can easily be found by kids.

I like them all. I've been told that some micros in my surounding area are lame. Let me be the judge. If I think it's lame I keep it too myself, why spoil it for others.

My first cache is going to be a micro-cache and it will be in the parking lot where I work. Believe me it won't be a easy find. Since it is a HUGH parking lot with plenty of hiding spots.

With NawlinzVoodoo chiming in, it's pretty clear: the micros along US-61 (in the greater Kenner-Laplace area) must really be horrible! What are the chances that two people from the same area complain about the proliferation of bad micros?

In their defense, Metairie IS amazingly loaded with micros. There are 57 micros within a 75 square mile area of the city. BAMBOOZLE and mausdad are the primary contributors to the micro explosion.

My only hide to date is a micro, but it was more because I wanted people to come see the spot where it was placed (it wasn't deemed whiz-bang enough to be a virtual). I am fine with micros ... maybe with more experience I'll get bored with them?

Edit: I wanted to compare ... we have some micros in my area (Northern Virginia), but I could only find 38 within a 438 square mile area. Quite a different MPSM (micro per square mile) rating - 0.08 versus Metairie's 0.76.

Edited by kevmikwa
B)  BLAH BLAH BLAH, micros still suck!  B)

Maybe, but you can hide them using a much smaller pile of sticks. :lol:

This just in from the FTF on my newest urban micro:

After a most excellent hint (although puzzling at first) grabbed this one on the way into work this morning.  (I had looked in the exact area 2x before but obviously not good enough)

I did not used to be a premium member of gc.com.  However, after hunting another one of wimsey's urban caches I was hooked.  Once this cache and it's 2 cousins were posted I had to join!!!

Thanks for the great cache.  Onto the other 2.

TNLNSL

Sorry for the blatent lack of modesty. I just wanted to show that micro hunting can provide just as much satisfaction as other sizes (caches, let's keep this clean; you too Criminal). And he didn't even have to worry about getting his work clothes muddy. B)

I like micros and I like larger caches. What I do no like is micros in an area in which a regular cache will work. All this tells me is that someone did not want to put the expense into hidding a regular cache. It's not that hard to hide a regular cache. on another point, when some one hides a cache that is a half in larger than a film can, Call it a micro, it is not a regular cache when you can not fit a pencil into it.

I like micros and I like larger caches. What I do no like is micros in an area in which a regular cache will work. All this tells me is that someone did not want to put the expense into hidding a regular cache. It's not that hard to hide a regular cache. on another point, when some one hides a cache that is a half in larger than a film can, Call it a micro, it is not a regular cache when you can not fit a pencil into it.

I agree with the above statement. Don't hide a micro where you can hide a pregnant elephant. It's not fun looking in a million places in the woods for a micro. I've seen areas tore up pretty good doing this type of hide.

Micros provide more of a challenge that some people prefer. Micros can be placed near points of interest that a regular sized cache can't be easily hidden from muggles.

Nothing wrong with variety.

Hmmmm...

I own some micros. I hope they don't suck, but I suspect that two of them do.

As a rule, I don't enjoy micros that don't take me to an interesting place. Lightpole caches at the local Ralph's don't really thrill me.

I also don't care for impossibly difficult micros. I cache to be taken to interesting places, not to filter a forest for a pea-sized container.

That being said, tonight I found a great micro.

I had just walked almost eight miles to find three caches before meeting up with some friends. I really needed this time as I had had a dreadful day and this turned my mood around. I had told my friends about the game about a week before and they had been teasing me for being a big nerd ever since. While we spoke this evening, I checked the GPSr and found that this cache was only a few hundred feet away. One of my friends 'relieved' me of my GPSr and off they went. They happily searched for the cache and cheered when they found it. Reading the past logs led to more enjoyment. The enclosed trinkets were quickly cataloged and it was decided that we would leave a tiny TB that I had brought. We also traded a bottle opener keychain for a tiny ice scraper keychain. A good time was had by all.

My point is this. Lame caches suck. Good caches rock!

I'll look for a micro but not as fast as I'll search for a traditional cache. I myself try to employ both in my hunts, usually a couple of micros with coords to get you to the next one that take you to the next one that take you to the cache idea. That way you get a challenge plus a bang for your buck. I like getting out there knowing I may be in an area for a while. What I don't like is when they are hidden so well I have to give up (which doesn't happen often) but its frustrating to know I've come so far to leave empty handed.

A micro in a cool spot is cool! (as long as I can find the darn thing...I like nice specific spoilers, please, people!!) A micro in each of 20 local parking lots is sub-cool.

New cachers at GC.com searching for their first cache will be more likely to find themselves at Walmart in my town, rather than in the woods, and I think that is going to turn new people off to the sport.

I can filter micros... I know, but I pay for that feature. New cachers dont. If you must flood the universe with micros, please make it immediately obvious to the cache page reader that they are going to an aesthetically-challenged location to challenge wits with the hider, instead of a pretty/interesting location to enjoy the natural world a bit.

If folks want more hides/finds, place a micro on the guardrail evers 529 feet along a highway somewhere, and give them all the same name. After a few miles of this, they should have the best caching day of their life! They can log each cache AGAIN on their way back!! Heck they should be able to drive down the highway, and count them as they drive by! They could score 500 on their way to work, and 500 on the way home! That would rock! Go for it! (as long as people can still easily find the traditional hides without having to pull up each cache page, and try to figure out what is in store for them)

<insert dead horse picture here>