Self-repair Magellan

Doc-Dean

Let me preface this by saying... I know, I know, I know... its not a good idea if you don't know what you are doing.

I don't have a degree in electrical engineering, but I can build my own computer from scratch and do repair of some computer problems...

Here's the scenerio:

My toddler daughter dropped my Meri-green face down on the tile floor. Although its survived much worse falls from myself, it was no match for a toddler. It still works but the screen does not show the images in full contrast, as if somehow the contrast was turned down.

I opened the unit to check for any loose wires or connections and didn't find any. The screen connector looks firmly seated in its connector to the board. I didn't try reseating it yet.

Has anyone tinkered with their Meridian GPS or have any idea how I can fix the problem myself??

My only other options is to send it back to Magellan with $120 for a replacement (nice of them to offer since its out of warranty) or upgrade to a newer GPS or just go buy another one elsewhere...

Opinions, recommendations, flames accepted....

Well, since it's out of warranty and I certainly wouldn't spend 120 bucks for another green I'd try to reset any connections. I've never had mine open but if there is any plug-in chips reset them too. Be very careful of static electricity. If all else fails you might try to reinstall the firmware. There is a way to force a hard reset but I don't know the code off hand.

This may be a really dumb suggestion, but have you tried going into the menu and adjusting the contrast?

OMG!!!! :):)

Obviously not as stupid as I am for not even considering that!!

The contrast was down to 20% (why or how I can't figure out); I upped it to 50% and voila! Looks perfect!

This may be a really dumb suggestion, but have you tried going into the menu and adjusting the contrast?

OMG!!!! :):)

Obviously not as stupid as I am for not even considering that!!

The contrast was down to 20% (why or how I can't figure out); I upped it to 50% and voila! Looks perfect!

But Wait !!! You too can repair Magellan GPSr's!!!

I think I'll download this thread and sell it on Ebay for $ 5.00. lol!

LCD screen are really sensitive. We had a pocket D&D game once, and opened it up one night "just to see what's inside". Dumb misteke. After that the contrast was reversed.

You put one of the "clear" windows back upside down. It's really a Polaroid filter. LCD works by polarizing light. Depending on how you look at it, reverse image can be a "feature". :D