Geocaching In Wilderness

pbexplorer

I, like you, love geocaching. It would only be a small sacrifice for us to limit our activity to the many, many areas in which geocaching will account for almost no evironmental impact.

Um, how does the impact of geocaching differ in a wilderness area vis-a-vis a national forest, or a state park? It's a POLITICAL designation. Does a a cache on one side of a (often arbitrary) line drawn by Congress effect the environment differently from a cache on the other side of that line?

Edited by briansnat
I, like you, love geocaching. It would only be a small sacrifice for us to limit our activity to the many, many areas in which geocaching will account for almost no evironmental impact.

Um, how does the impact of geocaching differ in a wilderness area vis-a-vis a national forest, or a state park? It's a POLITICAL designation. Does a a cache on one side of a (often arbitrary) line drawn by Congress effect the environment differently from a cache on the other side of that line?

NORM!

My point exactly.

Well said briansnat.

Um, how does the  impact of geocaching differ in a wilderness area vis-a-vis a national forest, or a state park? It's a POLITICAL designation. Does a  a cache on one side of a  (often arbitrary) line drawn by Congress effect the environment differently from a cache on the other side of that line?

I can't help it... I just have to respond... ;)

You're absolutely correct, it is a political designation, but this designation is, well, designated for reasons of conservation and protection. If an arbitrary line hadn't been placed around Yellowstone, someone would come along thinking it would make a prime location for a golf course.

If an area is protected because the educated minds who study these things find the area to be sensitive enough to warrant protection, protection is a good thing. If an area is protected not because it's sensitive, but simply to set it aside as natural land that will never become a Wal-mart, protection is good. The impact that geocaching may have on the area may not differ from that of any other area, but if it's an area that has been reserved for limited human impact, why must we geocache there?

It's kind of like a 'sitting room.' Did your house have a room that was reserved for company only? Your Mom's best china was displayed in the hutch, the furniture was imported, and the rug was always vacuumed. It was set aside as a room that would always be orderly and clean. You never dared play in that room! These rules didn't make a difference to you, though. The rest of the house had more than enough space to play in. Didn't it?

Just for the record I think geocaches in wilderness areas are fine. Like someone said earlier, once you're three miles in from the trailhead, you're past the normal riff-raff. I doubt you'll ever see any kind of cache saturation in wilderness areas or any signicant increased use from cache placement.

OK horsey, back to bed.

It's kind of like a 'sitting room.' Did your house have a room that was reserved for company only? Your Mom's best china was displayed in the hutch, the furniture was imported, and the rug was always vacuumed. It was set aside as a room that would always be orderly and clean. You never dared play in that room! These rules didn't make a difference to you, though. The rest of the house had more than enough space to play in. Didn't it?

No. Well yes maybe it did. But that's not the point. (Do you know hard I worked to try and get this thread off the first page ;) AAHHH!)

Here's the point. Yes. That room would be the Living Room. We were not even allowed to look in there. I still remember the plastic covers on the couch. But guess what? During dinner, I used to take my vegetables and sneak them into my cup when nobody was looking. Then when everyone was done with dinner and away from the room, I would sneak into the living room and hide that cup behind the baseboard. Sometimes that cup would stay there for days. Even weeks until I had the opportunity to remove it and through it in the outside trash can. And guess what else? That little vegetable cache in the designated wilderness living room didn't effect the living room one iota. The same way an ammo can doesn't effect the grand wilderness or a small county park.

Whatta ya got next?

Edited by JMBella
That little vegetable cache in the designated wilderness living room didn't effect the living room one iota. The same way an ammo can doesn't effect the grand wilderness or a small county park. 

Whatta ya got next?

;)

Okay, I'm done. I will join the masses in agreeing that this topic is indeed a dead, bloated, stinking, rotting, unrecognizable heap of what may once have been a horse. (Sorry for the image.)