About to place our first cache.....

Seay me

We've been caching since mid-June and are about to place our first cache. We've found a place and have the 'booty' for it. The container is about a 3 quart clear rubbermade container. The 'booty' is: Two 13 gallon trashbags(just incase someone feels the urge to Cache in Trash out, Suction cup digital clock, small knife, hacky sack, battery powered personal fan, emergency pancho, logbook, bug repelent (should be left in cache for those who may have forgot to put some on), 2 AA batteries, a couple of other odds and ends and of course the "You've found this cache sheet.

We waited a couple of months and logged a few finds so we'd know somewhat how it worked.

Does the cache sound reasonable so far?

Chip

I think it sounds fine, but I have been educated recently on cache contents and see some risk items:

Two 13 gallon trashbags -

Child could find cache, crawl into bag and suffocate!

Suction cup digital clock -

Safe!

small knife -

What are you thinking about!?! - Child could find cache and cut itself or take an eye out.

hacky sack -

depending on the size a child could eat this and choke

battery powered personal fan -

batteries could explode in high temperature, leaking chemicals which a child could find etc.

emergency pancho -

safe!

logbook -

safe!

bug repelent -

child/animal could find and eat/drink/lick depending on format

2 AA batteries -

as for the fan.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gifObviously I am joking here (but I bet someone will comment on the knife).

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck - I would feel safe opening your cache and the contents would interest me (but then again I eat things out of caches (non-US caches) icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I think it sounds fine, but I have been educated recently on cache contents and see some risk items:

Two 13 gallon trashbags -

Child could find cache, crawl into bag and suffocate!

Safe!

small knife -

What are you thinking about!?! - Child could find cache and cut itself or take an eye out.

hacky sack -

depending on the size a child could eat this and choke

battery powered personal fan -

batteries could explode in high temperature, leaking chemicals which a child could find etc.

emergency pancho -

safe!

logbook -

safe!

bug repelent -

child/animal could find and eat/drink/lick depending on format

2 AA batteries -

as for the fan.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gifObviously I am joking here (but I bet someone will comment on the knife).

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good luck - I would feel safe opening your cache and the contents would interest me (but then again I eat things out of caches (non-US caches) icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Sounds like you've followed all the advice commonly given for hiding a cache. You will really like it, especially reading the log entries that people leave on the site and at the cache. It will make you want to hide MORE.

For the most recent summary of things to remember before hiding a cache, check out this thread.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

A computer without Microsoft software is like a dog without a brick tied to its neck.

crr003 wrote:

Safe!

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!

A ticking clock might scare a child or even an adult to the point they soil their pants! The suction cup could be picked up by a child and stuck to dad's neck, causing a hickey mark thereon, which could lead to a murder or something! PLEASE think before you offhandedly declare something safe!

icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

crr003 wrote:

Safe!

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!

A ticking clock might scare a child or even an adult to the point they soil their pants! The suction cup could be picked up by a child and stuck to dad's neck, causing a hickey mark thereon, which could lead to a murder or something! PLEASE think before you offhandedly declare something safe!

icon_wink.gif

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

emergency pancho -

safe!

logbook -

safe!

A child can suffocate in a poncho just as easily as in a trash bag.

As to the logbook, what the <*bleep*> are you thinking?!?! Logbooks are the most dangerous things that can be found in caches!

A child could eat one of the pages and choke. The ink, if consumed in sufficient quantities, could poison a child or cause cancers to sprout in later life.

A child could take the cardboard cover, rip it into strips and poke out an eye or jam one into an ear or nostril. The metal spiral binding can be removed, straightened out, and used to strangle parents or small animals.

I beg you--never, never put a logbook in a cache. The life you save by may be your own.

wcgreen

(I'm kidding; your list sounds wonderful)

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Criminal, wcgreen,

I wanted to leave a couple of things out there so the more creative cachers would have something to work with. icon_biggrin.gif

And there you are! icon_biggrin.gif

I assumed they left the pencil out on purpose as its capability for being lethal (or at least taking another eye out) is renowned. I'm surprised you can still carry one on a 'plane these days. icon_smile.gif

Maybe you should carry your own writing instrument into caching action to mitigate the risk.

"Left nothing - took pencil, matches, soap, chocolate, cigar, tin of tuna, scotch - got cleaned up, lit the camp fire and had a party - thanks for the cache"

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by crr003 on September 08, 2002 at 11:18 PM.]

Criminal, wcgreen,

I wanted to leave a couple of things out there so the more creative cachers would have something to work with. icon_biggrin.gif

And there you are! icon_biggrin.gif

I assumed they left the pencil out on purpose as its capability for being lethal (or at least taking another eye out) is renowned. I'm surprised you can still carry one on a 'plane these days. icon_smile.gif

Maybe you should carry your own writing instrument into caching action to mitigate the risk.

"Left nothing - took pencil, matches, soap, chocolate, cigar, tin of tuna, scotch - got cleaned up, lit the camp fire and had a party - thanks for the cache"

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by crr003 on September 08, 2002 at 11:18 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by wcgreen:

As to the logbook, what the <*bleep*> are you thinking?!?! Logbooks are the most dangerous things that can be found in caches!

A child could eat one of the pages and choke. The ink, if consumed in sufficient quantities, could poison a child or cause cancers to sprout in

Actually, the ink in logbooks is only believed to cause cancer in California. If you are placing the cache in Iowa, this should not be a concern.

quote:

A child could eat one of the pages and choke. The ink, if consumed in sufficient quantities, could poison a child or cause cancers to sprout in later life.

A child could take the cardboard cover, rip it into strips and poke out an eye or jam one into an ear or nostril. The metal spiral binding can be removed, straightened out, and used to strangle parents or small animals.

I beg you--never, never put a logbook in a cache. The life you save by may be your own.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Don't forget the increased risk of paper cuts....I never seek a cache that I think might include a log book, for that very reason. I mean if one is out in the wilderness (more than .002 miles off a heavily used trail) then one could quickly bleed to death because of even just a minor paper cut. Even if you do survive there's no doubt one of those backwoods germs will get in there and you'll have to have the apendage amputated at the neck. icon_smile.gif

Ok ok...kidding aside....this does sound like a great cache. I haven't hidden one yet myself, but I was thinking of some items along these lines for my first cache. I'm planning on including things that are both novel (since a lot of folks, myself included, like to find the little novelity itmes) and things that could be very useful (bug spray, band-aids, poncho, sunscreen, etc) in the event they they are needed.

quote:

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Don't forget the increased risk of paper cuts....I never seek a cache that I think might include a log book, for that very reason. I mean if one is out in the wilderness (more than .002 miles off a heavily used trail) then one could quickly bleed to death because of even just a minor paper cut. Even if you do survive there's no doubt one of those backwoods germs will get in there and you'll have to have the apendage amputated at the neck. icon_smile.gif

Ok ok...kidding aside....this does sound like a great cache. I haven't hidden one yet myself, but I was thinking of some items along these lines for my first cache. I'm planning on including things that are both novel (since a lot of folks, myself included, like to find the little novelity itmes) and things that could be very useful (bug spray, band-aids, poncho, sunscreen, etc) in the event they they are needed.

That sounds like a good combination of items for a cache - they're useful and had some thought put into them. I would have been thrilled to find bug spray in a cache I went to yesterday....oh, them mosquitos!

Warning:

While on your hike in search of a cache, remember - don't run with your logbook-signing pencil in your hand, ya' might impale yourself on it! And don't chew on your pencil, cause ya' might get lead poisoning!

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

Two 13 gallon trashbags(just incase someone feels the urge to Cache in Trash out, Suction cup digital clock,

Chip

Sound like a great cache...but TWO 13 GALLON Trashbags!!! Where are you hiding this cache? Your local dump??? icon_confused.gif

Maybe Chip has hit upon an idea here...We stash a cache in the most abused area of green space we can find and with all the 'caching in trashing out' we could clean up the world. What do you think?

And I was glad to see you use a DIGITAL clock and not those horrible analog ones. The analog clocks have TICKS icon_eek.gif in them.

Good luck with your first placement hope it give you many great returns (postings I mean).

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

Two 13 gallon trashbags(just incase someone feels the urge to Cache in Trash out, Suction cup digital clock,

Chip

Sound like a great cache...but TWO 13 GALLON Trashbags!!! Where are you hiding this cache? Your local dump??? icon_confused.gif

Maybe Chip has hit upon an idea here...We stash a cache in the most abused area of green space we can find and with all the 'caching in trashing out' we could clean up the world. What do you think?

And I was glad to see you use a DIGITAL clock and not those horrible analog ones. The analog clocks have TICKS icon_eek.gif in them.

Good luck with your first placement hope it give you many great returns (postings I mean).

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

I have only put out one cache thus far and also was concerned about what to put in the cache. I think I've learned that what is in the cache is not that important. I thought I left some great stuff but people were happy just to get there and find a great space. It is the journey and the discovery of a new and wonderful place that makes the difference. I found a few lakes on Cape Cod I would have never known without Geocaching. (I do like the idea of cleaning up local dumping grounds but you'll need a pickup truck rather than a few trash bags to really be effective.)

MaCree

I like the idea of some sort of reward when finding the cache. I read about letterboxing (I think). The idea of accumulating a record where I've been sounds great and having some unique record/prove of having been at a particular cache would be worth more to me than any goodies. Instead of the stamong idea, maybe creating a unique business card size sheet about the cache for a finder to take would be an idea?

quote:
Originally posted by Craven MaCree:

I have only put out one cache thus far and also was concerned about what to put in the cache. I think I've learned that what is in the cache is not that important. I thought I left some great stuff but people were happy just to get there and find a great space. It is the journey and the discovery of a new and wonderful place that makes the difference. I found a few lakes on Cape Cod I would have never known without Geocaching. (I do like the idea of cleaning up local dumping grounds but you'll need a pickup truck rather than a few trash bags to really be effective.)

MaCree