New California Legislation

RuffRidr

police departments are exempt from VTL in most states. if you read the front end of your states Vehicle and Trffic Law there is usually an exemption included.

i would find that discretion would be necessary in enforcing the computer code. i use a laptop for GPS mapping in my auto. 15" screen is better than a calculator size screen. i will look at the CA code and see it's flaws and limitations. remember law is interpretable. a few cases of laptop GPSr use will allow for a change in code also.

my opinion

robbie

proposed and current legislation california vehicle code.. read page 2

27602. No person shall drive a motor vehicle which is equipped with

a television receiver, screen, or other means of visually receiving

a television broadcast which is located in the motor vehicle at any

point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or which is visible

to the driver while operating the motor vehicle.

This section shall not apply to a mobile digital terminal

installed in a law enforcement vehicle.

read subs 1( b )1 vehicle info display

2 global positioning display

3 mapping display

4 clearance and manuevering camera display

5 TV with interlock disabling device.

sub 1( b )6 police MDTs not prohibited. is your Police vehicle clause. :unsure:

should dispel any myths, and spell it out. ask for a current VTL book at your motor vehicle dept. should be free or like 1$.

robbie

oh yeah --- i will not be held liable for any info provided here. provided as opinion, and not law. so don't quote me in court.. lol. :DB)B)

Edited by robree

(:unsure: Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when

installed in a vehicle:

(1) A vehicle information display.

(2) A global positioning display.

(3) A mapping display.

Just make sure you keep a copy of MS Streets & Trips or a similar program loaded! That should qualify under exemption 3. If you also have your GPS connected to it to diplay your current position, it should qualify under botth 2 and 3.

(:unsure: Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when

installed in a vehicle:

(1) A vehicle information display.

(2) A global positioning display.

(3) A mapping display.

Just make sure you keep a copy of MS Streets & Trips or a similar program loaded!  That should qualify under exemption 3.  If you also have your GPS connected to it to diplay your current position, it should qualify under botth 2 and 3.

I would be happy to provide the State of California with a case to test in court when my passenger is navigating using my GPS connected to my laptop running MapPoint and AGPS.

I understand the reasoning behind the law, but I still feel that it's going overboard. This is just another bit of weight on the "hate" side of my "love/hate California" scale.

cruzin - almost every state has adopted the "forward of the driver"rule. it makes sense when you seen dumb people with screen lock. they look at the screen and don't look up. we have the law in NY, and in almost 12 years i have only enforced it once. driver stated "i was looking at the tv and all of a sudden the guy pulled out in front of me."

it is a shame when people can't control themselves and must be "legislated."

we all suffer in the longrun.

i use the 15" screen of my laptop as it provides a large, crisp image and i onl have to glance at it. the screen on my maggie STPro is a little small for auto navigation. my laptop supports routing through street atlas and has much more accurate mapping.

i would never try to watch a movie while driving though.

robbie

criminal.... ;) i hear ya.

it is a shame when people can't control themselves and must be "legislated."

we all suffer in the longrun.

Same here, containers, permission, wilderness, ect. Every time some idiot does something idiotic, someone screams for more legislation to protect the idiots from themselves.

Seams to me California must be full of idiots.

I have a big problem with most of the laws in Cali, especially the 55 MPH with a trailer. Not to mention the crazy tax laws. I’m surprised they haven’t put restrictions on dihydrogen monoxide, every thing else there seems to cause cancer. It’s to bad really most of cali is quite stunning.

So, it appears to outlaw PDAs and laptops to look at cache pages while driving--I guess I'll just have to print the cache pages again and look at the paper copies.....

Dave_W6DPS

Slash.com- amnother story that does not cover all the facts, typical internet stuff.

You should not be reading the cache display or anything else while driving :P . I travel HWY 80 in Ca every week and I have almost been hit more than just a few times by idiots with DVD players on the dash of their car, ;) Reading news paper :) while driving etc. If you are going to drive then you should drive and leave the reading etc. to another person, like a passenger :P . IF you want to read a cache display pull off the road or wait untill you park your car. I just hope the fine is very large for the offenders, IMO $1,000.00 sounds about right :) .

Seams to me California must be full of idiots.

I have a big problem with most of the laws in Cali, especially the 55 MPH with a trailer. Not to mention the crazy tax laws. I’m surprised they haven’t put restrictions on dihydrogen monoxide, every thing else there seems to cause cancer. It’s to bad really most of cali is quite stunning.

Wow, sometimes aren't the US so bad after all ;)

Here in Sweden is it allowed to watch TV while driving, there is no regulations saying you must steir with your hands, you can talk on your cellphone, smoke a cigarette at the same time, and of course yell at your kids in the backseat.

Some regulations are not stupid. Don't forget that they most dangerous hazard in the traffic are YOU and all other humans. It is not the cars who kills other people, it is the driver inside the car!!