How Has "9/11" Impacted Geocaching For You?

@ti2de

On my other cache, I read a log saying that a security guard spotted my cache finders. I'm wondering now if that cache is even gonna be there tomorrow.

I've been out before and had the typical "neighborhood watch" folks checking me out. I'm just awful because I'm 6', 210, and don't always look like a "friendly guy".

Having my 5 year old daughter along for the "treasure hunt", as she calls it, does help sometimes, but not when I'm poking around in the woods and generally trying to avoid "public" contact. I sometimes wonder how I can put out good vibes / PR.

I can see how Geocaching could get a bad rap, but I sure do have a lot of fun with it, playing out my high-tech "Indiana Jones" adventures, and everybody I ever met having anything to do with Geocaching is also a remarkable experience in itself.

So, how does it go?

My first thought was, "I started in January of 2002, what do I know from September 11?" but I have had to live with some of the repercussions. One of the local caches was removed shortly after 9-11 due to some paranoia issues. The result was that I had to keep trying for a year and a half before I could get another cache approved there.

I've also tried to be a lot more aware of what people might think when they see me looking for a cache in a fairly public area. There's a micro near here that I've tired for a couple times but only half heartedly. It's hidden on a courthouse lawn under an old fighter jet they've got on display. I figure the sight of a grown man inspecting their jet is a little too weird. One of these days I'll bring the kids with me so they can be the proper distraction I need.

Bret

9/11 has not had any noticeable impact on geocaching for me. Most caches I seek are not near anything that could be considered a terrorist target. I haven't been hassled by anybody while caching. I just look like the usual geocaching goober and people just think I'm a goober and leave me alone. I have met some nice folks while caching who were curious.

I'll tell you one thing, 9/11 sure has made air travel one freaking pain in the south 40. What color is it today?

I've found that the increased levels stupidity and paranoia have been great sources of entertainment.

When I was younger I loved freaking people out by dressing up and dancing in the street. Later on I found that doing the same thing in a subtle fashion was even funnier. (I would wake up at noon [2nd shifter], grab a beer, sit on the porch, and play Mozart really loud. I found that if I played the Sex Pistols people just thought I was another punk, but the Mozart combined with mismatched clothes really scared them.)

Now I can just take a camera to an airport and photograph sculpures and people around me are completely stressed out. I've had airport security freaked by my 3 year old son try and carry a nerf rocket (not even the gun, just the rocket) with him. A gps, a camera, and some shots of the underlying support structure (which is actually really artistic at the right angle) will have 911 dispatch reaching for the asprin.

"What do the words 'land of the free and the home of the brave' mean to you?"

"Um, that the baseball game is supposed to start?"

One of those bright orange vests on and a clipboard in hand and nobody will give you a second glance. I still like the idea someone had of doing their cache hunting in a full biohazard suit, I would imagine that would keep people from bugging you too much as well.

I only just started right before Christmas and have only had one person ask what I was doing, when I explained it, he joined in to help find the cache. Afterwards I wrote down the website address for him.

I saw a show on the History Channel last night that told about an archeologist who surveyed the pyramids in Egypt while wearing a tutu. It seems that the government wouldn't give anyone permission to survey them, so he came up with the idea to act like a lunatic. I learned a long time ago to act crazier than someone who is giving you trouble. They'll usually leave you alone, figuring you can get away with murder using an insanity defense.

In Arabic countries, lunatics are avoided and left to roam free. In America we elect them to public office.

I was just thinking yesterday when caching. I was walking the trail wearing a flight jacket, gloves, baseball hat, sunglasses, and had a scruffy beard. I saw and passed many people. Some with kids. I was wondering how many people were wondering what I was up to, out there all by myself and looking like that.

I'll tell you one thing, 9/11 sure has made air travel one freaking pain in the south 40. What color is it today?

Ha tell me about it. The best place near us to watch airplanes is now closed. Blocked off by large cement baracades. I can remember when flying was fun... ]

Objets

I grew up in Queens, NY and remember watching the Towers being built from my neighborhood. I got engaged and celebrated at Windows on the World. We called my parents and my wife's parents from the top to tell them we got engaged. Finally, I had friends who worked (and died) in the Towers.

I think 9-11 has impacted many facets of my life including geocaching. I'll never get the chance to surprise my wife with a "WTC virtual" to lead her back to the restaurant where we got engaged for another romantic meal.

When they finally rebuild the area, we will return to share our memories, good and bad about the WTC...

Edited by Doc-Dean

For one thing I'm less likely to hide a cache in areas that I wouldn't have worried about in the past. I certainly wouldn't consider walking through a federal building carrying a large ammo box with a pocket full of road flares. Well maybe I wouldn't have done that anyway.

I don't consider placing caches by large airports or buildings these days. People are too nervous.

This perception of everyone else's fears and your fear of it is amazing.

Suddenly everyone is treated like they're a member of the "secret police". It's like we're build a fascist state in our heads.

Are you telling me that you'll no longer do something legal out of fear or repercussion?

Repeat after me:

"I used a bastard file on my TB tags."

"I can't cache today because I have to take my bitch to the veterinarian."

Embrace the freedom.