Oops - Wrong Co-ordinates!

seneca

Why can’t you American cachers get your coordinates right!

It seems that a Seattle Salvage company decided to hide a huge underwater cache - the “Victoria M”, a 140 ft. derelict ship. Like good geocachers, they went to the authorities and got all the proper permits. And to make sure that the cache was going to stay well hidden, they filled it with 200 tons of concrete before sinking it at the southern entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Trouble was, they accidently used the wrong coordinates, and sank the darn thing in Canadian waters!!! Ooops. Seems that our Canadian underwater land managers are not as receptive to oversized underwater caches as their US counterparts, and they have written a letter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to demand that the cache be removed forthwith. They figure it is technologically feasible to move it, but could cost millions of dollars! As a kind gesture to our geographically challenged neighbours, I am going to write to our Canadian authorities to ask that it be allowed to stay - but only on the condition that they post it on Geocaching.com - where hopefully it won't be considered a "vacation cache". (The full story is here).

Edited by seneca

LOL! When I first read this, I thought "what a cache!" and "how after all that work, could the cachers get the coords wrong?" I mean, geeze, I've met Canadians who are better at math than me (but most people are), but I can still read numbers and would not get it wrong on such a thing! Then I read the article. Well.... I guess I can't explain that! Sorry! :o

....this incident certainly wouldn't engender me with much confidence in the agency responsible for the surveillance, enforcement and protection of national boundaries.  I wonder how long it took them to tow it into Canadian waters and sink it?

Not very long when you share a border! There is a pathway that I walk in Point Roberts, Washington, on the US Canadian border, and we always get a kick out of spitting from the U.S. into Canada! (I've never been caught). When boating in the area in question, it is very easy to cross the boundary between the U.S. and Canadian waters without consequence. A vessel crossing the boundary does not don't report at customs until it arrives at its first port.

The City of Victoria dumps raw sewage into the Strait. The Cominco smelter has dumped heavy metal waste into the Columbia River on the Canadian side of the border and contaminated Lake Roosevelt so bad that it is being considered for listing as a Superfund site. Maybe the Canadian government can deal with these issues before we pull that cement-laden scow from 1,500 feet down.

The City of Victoria dumps raw sewage into the Strait. The Cominco smelter has dumped heavy metal waste into the Columbia River on the Canadian side of the border and contaminated Lake Roosevelt so bad that it is being considered for listing as a Superfund site.  Maybe the Canadian government can deal with these issues before we pull that cement-laden scow from 1,500 feet down.

Regarding the Victoria sewage issue that you mention, the same government that you mention says that study after study proves that primary or secondary treatment is not necessary, due to the flushing action of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. You can make your own judgement on that. I am not an oceanographer, so I don't know which is true.

As for Roosevelt Lake, I can say nothing, as I have not researched the matter. I do know that most of the dams on the upper Columbia were built because of an agreement between the US Government (and Bonneville Power) and the British Columbia Government. ( and BC Hydro) We are not at fault ALL of the time, just most of it, I suppose.

I do know this, however: Had WE sunk one of our old ships in US waters accidently, I think the US Government's response would have been much stronger than the one our goverment had.

I'm with Seneca: let's leave it there, and just decide who should maintain it. I suggest a Difficulty 5 Terrain 5 rating.

And one more note; this thread was meant to be a gentle ribbing to those that made an error, and I'm sure not meant to kindle a political debate between two great nations, who share the longest undefended border in the world.

American cachers are great people. I know a lot of them, and would like to adopt one as a pet. :unsure: ( That was a joke)

I do know this, however: Had WE sunk one of our old ships in US waters accidently, I think the US Government's response would have been much stronger than the one our goverment had.

We would have sent warships and troops and claimed the land between Alaska and Washington State in order to make those two states connected! :unsure:

American cachers are great people. I know a lot of them, and would like to adopt one as a pet.  :D  ( That was a joke)

I wonder if Sparky is available...(That was a joke, too) :D

We would have sent warships and troops and claimed the land between Alaska and Washington State in order to make those two states connected! :unsure:

American cachers are great people. I know a lot of them, and would like to adopt one as a pet.  :D  ( That was a joke)

I wonder if Sparky is available...(That was a joke, too) :D

That might not be far from the truth. While on vacation in California once, I was asked about the origin of my licence plates. I explained that British Columbia was between Washington and Alaska, along the Pacific coast. The old timer involved shook his head, then declared that there "weren't nuthin' twixt Warshingtin and 'Laska", and walked away muttering something resembling " dern easterners", or some such. This made me feel quite at home, as our federal government in Ottawa is quite unaware that we are here either.

As for the Satire Wire, I have often wondered why the West Edmonton mall has 7 submarines, to impress the general public into spending money at the mall, while The Royal Canadian Navy has 3 submarines. Having seen our (HMCS Vancouver, for one) Fast Frigates from the Ops room and the Bridge, I can vouch for their effectiveness. They are equivalent to the US Oliver Hazard Perry class, but with a longer lifespan. (That means we can't afford any more of them) And they have one strategic piece of equipment not found on any US warship: The BEER machine. No, I am NOT kidding. Just don't DARE attack us during Happy Hour, or we'll blow chunks at you.

Seriously, and more to the topic, the great thing about this sport in my mind, is the interaction between cachers, regardless of politics or geography. I believe that I am the only Canadian member of the Washington State Geocachers Association, and am waiting very patiently for Thursday to roll around, and we can meet up with our Washingtonian (is that the right term?) friends in Olympia. Come visit us 'Sax, we'll show you a good time in two countries, and two languages.

A prochaine, mon ami. J'espere que vous nous vistez dans la future immediatement.

And one more note; this thread was meant to be a gentle ribbing to those that made an error, and I'm sure not meant to kindle a political debate between two great nations, who share the longest undefended border in the world.

Yes, you are so right and my apologies to you. My intention was to point out that there are two sides of the coin. I did not intend to start a political debate. Somewhere, I lost the humor of the misguided sunken vessel, and it is pretty funny.

Its true, so they say, regarding the sewage flushing action in the Straits, but there is no city in the States that discharges raw sewage to any body of water. The Cominco issue is a whole other story not worth any more time in this thread. But the curious should learn a little more about it.

I do love Canada and feel very welcome there, right from the git go crossing the border. I bagged the easy virtuals around Inner Harbor Victoria with the family this last summer. Crossing back into the States is an exasperatingly rude experience. My great-grandparents on my father's mother's side were from Canada, which makes me about 1/8 Canadian.

Can we be friends now? :unsure:

There is a pathway that I walk in Point Roberts, Washington, on the US Canadian border, and we always get a kick out of spitting from the U.S. into Canada!

I did a search for Point Roberts On Mapsend to see where it was. It showed up as a small blip on the map. When I zoomed in as far as I could, I discovered that it is completely underwater!

Can we be friends now?  :D

I can't recall ever not being friends :D I hope you saw the humour in my posts, as that was the primary focus.

I ask a favour of Olar, though. On your next visit to Ottawa, let our new PM know that we won't protest if he visits, like we did when his predecessor was here. Our new guy can actually speak both official languages, where the previous one spoke neither. No wonder George Bush didn't like him; he couldn't understand him. I am a Quebecer, and I can't understand him either.

Then we should take a little trip to the Eastern Seaboard, and let them know that New Mexico isn't very new anymore, and deserves a lot more than it's own quarter. Some of the most beautiful terrain in the world is in NM, and many caches that I have not yet done, as my last visit to NM was before I began caching.

Hey 'Sax, why not come see us in Olympia Saturday? What can it be, only 1800 miles or so? :unsure: A short drive, and probably a lot quicker than clearing airport security at Albequerque or Santa Fe.

How deep was this one supposed to be when sunk? I'm hoping that it was a lot shallower, 1500 is just too deep for SCUBA! This one sound like it could have been a 'Wrecks to reefs" type thing, it'd be a pity if it wasn't.

Olar: Yep. Bottom trawlers will drag nets at 1500 or deeper. Incredibly destructive to the seafloor... sort of like clear cutting a forest. Plus there are a lot of animals hauled up that were not targeted species, and are more often than not dead before they hit the deck, in other words, by-catch.

Though, if a trawler get's caught on the wreck, would that be by-cache? :unsure:

Most Americans don't realize that New Mexico is a state. Won't they be surprised when we get our own state quarter in 2008! I can hear the comments now, "That NAFTA deal means we have to use Mexican currency now?" :unsure:

You've misunderstood. Its not that we don't realize its currrently a state, its we want to give it back to Mexico. :D

I think that was California not New Mexico. But Mexico refused it something about,......... well enough said.