Have You Seen Magellan's Latest?

I saw these for the first time in today's Best Buy ad, but here's the links to them online. All I can say is, WOW.

Dude!

Sweet!

The price is a tad steep, but they are very impressive units.

Yer kiddin', right? It's nothing more than the basic Neverlost system you get in rental cars, with a few bells and whistles thrown in.

These don't hold a candle to the Garmin 2650. With its dead reckoning system, it can keep track of its location even when travelling through areas where it can't pick up a GPS signal. Even Magellan's top of the line system, the 750NAV Plus, can't match that.

I hope their equipment is more up to date than their maps!

Commonwealth of Independent States????

Read the news much?

Just to clue you in, the USSR fell a while back. Maybe you remember a bunch of people tearing down a wall? No, not the Pink Floyd video, dude. It was, like, on CNN and stuff.

Well, most of the old USSR states, (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldava, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan), went and formed something called The Commonwealth of Independent States.

(Oddly enough, it was on this very day, December 8th, that it was formed, back in 1991.)

Edited by Prime Suspect

"These don't hold a candle to the Garmin 2650. With its dead reckoning system, it can keep track of its location even when travelling through areas where it can't pick up a GPS signal. Even Magellan's top of the line system, the 750NAV Plus, can't match that."

How often can you personally use DR? Is it enough to justify the extra cost over a 2160?

I suspect the Magellan will be superior to the Garmin since there is more map data (4 cd's vs. 2; the 2610 can fit the whole US in 1.44gb, the 700 has a 10gb hard drive). The speaker on the Magellan is built into the unit, not on the power cord like the 2610. It also has a slightly larger screen.

Don't get me wrong, I thing the 26XX series are good units, and have some nice features too (remote being one).

Wyatt W

Edited by phantom4099

Read the news much?

Just to clue you in, the USSR fell a while back. Maybe you remember a bunch of people tearing down a wall? No, not the Pink Floyd video, dude. It was, like, on CNN and stuff.

Well, most of the old USSR states, (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldava, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan), went and formed something called The Commonwealth of Independent States.

(Oddly enough, it was on this very day, December 8th, that it was formed, back in 1991.)

Too Funny! The Dec 8th irony is just too much!

Read the news much?

Just to clue you in, the USSR fell a while back. Maybe you remember a bunch of people tearing down a wall?

Berlin was in the USSR?

Yes. East Germany (and East Berlin) were under the control of the USSR. You might recall President Reagan's famous speech "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall!" (not as classy as Kennedy's "Ich bin ein Berliner", but it got the point across).

Gorbachev, of course, was the leader of the USSR at the time.

This concludes today's lesson.

Hmmm. I may have my history messed up. I thought the CIS was a temporary arrangement pushed by Gorbachev as the Soviet Union was falling apart to try to hold it together in some fashion. But then it fell apart anyway as the states become truly independent and the CIS went the way of the USSR.

Regardless, the map on the Magellan map shows the CIS. Why? Am I missing something here?

From infomanage:

The Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) is an alliance of 12 of the 15 former Republics of the Soviet Union (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldava, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan).

The headquarters of the organization is in Minsk, Belarus. The three non-members are Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

Appears to be a current arrangement...